Traditions We Need - Old and New

tmjerm

- Bow Wow Chow Chow chant @SilverEagle referenced

- Make a bigger deal out of the band playing You’ll Never Walk Alone after games as a student sing along (they’ll stay that late if we win consistently) 

- Continue to build statues and honor our past

- Bring back Wings

- Gomeangreen.com Club

- Continue to improve tailgating amenities

- Find a way to keep basketball arena on campus (seems impossible by now but would love to see it)

- Celebrate and recognize the Green Brigade more

Generally, I desire to celebrate our history authentically.  The Stadium formerly known as Apogee has felt very sterile, though in recent years i feel like some improvements have been made.  The atmosphere should and can feel more authentic to our unique school.  What would you add?

• Upvote 6

I was impressed with a cheer during  nutsacs in game presentation. Their PA announcer was involved in their chant. UT - SA! I love our NORTH TEXAS chant and wish when we do it, it just doesn't die out. Sometimes the cheerleaders go on too long and it Peter's out. Perhaps our PA guy could lead it with NORTH, followed by our crowd with TEXAS X5 then stop. Crisp. loud and enthusiastic. 

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I was impressed with a cheer during  nutsacs in game presentation. Their PA announcer was involved in their chant. UT - SA! I love our NORTH TEXAS chant and wish when we do it, it just doesn't die out. Sometimes the cheerleaders go on too long and it Peter's out. Perhaps our PA guy could lead it with NORTH, followed by our crowd with TEXAS X5 then stop. Crisp. loud and enthusiastic. 

Yep.  See the comment above your's.

Few comments:

* Have Scrappy lead the team on the field either driving the Model A or bring back the "Mean Green" go cart from the 70's.

* If the above can't happen, have Stone Cold lead them out while riding a Harley.

* Add the monitors back to the concession area so you don't miss any plays while waiting in line.

* Library mall pep rallies

* Pick an entrance song people know and stick with it.  Loved the "Thunderstruck" intro we used during the Dickey years.  Make it a tradition similar to Va Tech and Enter Sandman.  Lights going crazy, fireworks, etc...

• Upvote 7

Just now, tmjerm said:

Is it time to honor the memory of Andrew Smith in some way?  A plaque somewhere. 

The practice fields should have been named for Andrew Smith, not DD.  Mattress Mack should have realized that - after all, MM paid to transport the entire team to Bay City for the funeral.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Incorporate lighting the tower after a win (in football and basketball) in post game activities so the fans can be part of it.  Show a live feed of the Admin building on the Jumbotron or video displays while the Talons conduct the ceremonial lighting of the tower via remote control.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, keith said:

Incorporate lighting the tower after a win (in football and basketball) in post game activities so the fans can be part of it.  Show a live feed of the Admin building on the Jumbotron or video displays while the Talons conduct the ceremonial lighting of the tower via remote control.  

Great idea. Maybe also show the Post-Game Show on the Jumbotron as well immediately after the tower lighting and You'll Never Walk Alone.

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

I’d also add that we are in the sweet spot right now to honor the early 2000s teams’ conference titles.  Those guys should be on the field and recognized at a home game and throw a party for them this year and next. 

Assemble a highlight reel of Booger Kennedy and play it on the big screen.  Every generation should be required to know how big of an impact he was on the field.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, keith said:

How bout lighting the tower for away game wins?  That would be cool.

Rick

• Upvote 6

When the Band forms a tunnel for the team to run through, either start playing "fly like an Eagle" or a loud drum cadence as the crowd starts the "NORTH-TEXAS" chant, so as to be beckoning the team to enter the field. The moment the team enters the Band tunnel, switch to the fight song, and set off the fireworks, and let the crowd go nuts.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, keith said:

This is something that would be so easy to accomplish. Just imagine the PA announcer saying something like “let’s light the tower!” immediately after the game goes final and the tower gets lit, lights around the stadium turn green, etc. Would create such a cool moment for so many. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep.  See the comment above your's.

Few comments:

* Have Scrappy lead the team on the field either driving the Model A or bring back the "Mean Green" go cart from the 70's.

* If the above can't happen, have Stone Cold lead them out while riding a Harley.

* Add the monitors back to the concession area so you don't miss any plays while waiting in line.

* Library mall pep rallies

* Pick an entrance song people know and stick with it.  Loved the "Thunderstruck" intro we used during the Dickey years.  Make it a tradition similar to Va Tech and Enter Sandman.  Lights going crazy, fireworks, etc...

I wonder how many students would know the historical significance of that. Or how many alums for that matter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would like to see us pick one green, and one white uniform combination and stick with it. Understand using a "special" design maybe once a year, but I personally am not in favor of the multiple looks per season.

Focus on MEAN GREEN!

Hate to break it to you but the kids love the uni combos, especially the all black look we used this year. 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 2