Yeah, but good ol' NT is too cool for something like this...

SilverEagle

Riff, Ram, Bah Zoo: The story behind TCU's unusual chant

Story by Caroline Vandergriff  Yesterday 6:52 PM
5Comments

FORT WORTH, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – When TCU takes on Georgia in the National Championship game, viewers across the country will be introduced to one of the most unique cheers in college football. 

'Riff Ram Bah Zoo' may sound more like a Dr. Seuss poem than a rallying cry, but it is a beloved tradition for the Frogs. 

Riff, Ram, Bah Zoo 

Lickety, Lickety, Zoo, Zoo 

Who, Wah, Wah, Who 

Give 'em Hell, TCU. 

Riff, Ram, Bah Zoo: The story behind TCU's unusual chant (msn.com)

BUT(way) down the corridor of years North also has a stupid yell. 

1171501977_ScreenShot2019-09-17at10_44_54PM.png.70783fe4426f271efff84d74e1a39018.png

The young lady (dressed like my grandmother in her youth) is waving a pennant from the North Texas State Normal era. 1901-1923. Considering how she is dressed; she would be from the pre-1920's. That would then make our stupid yell/chant older than TCU's stupid yell/chant. 

image.png

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 3

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

BUT(way) down the corridor of years North also has a stupid yell. 

1171501977_ScreenShot2019-09-17at10_44_54PM.png.70783fe4426f271efff84d74e1a39018.png

The young lady (dressed like my grandmother in her youth) is waving a pennant from the North Texas State Normal era. 1901-1923. Considering how she is dressed; she would be from the pre-1920's. That would then make our stupid yell/chant older than TCU's stupid yell/chant. 

image.png

I figure as long as you change “we are the students of T.N.C.” to “we are the students of U.N.T.”, should be fine.

• Upvote 1

The chant was found in an old Yucca, if I recall, by one of our members (Chris Latham) around 1997/1998.  We tended to use it as an intra-organization chant "We are the Talons of UNT."  I believe our hope at the time was it would eventually catch back on.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't get the title of the topic.  Why does it state that NT is too cool to do this?

It was my attempt at being sarcastic/cynical about my/our alma mater. "We're too cool for stuff like that" was always the attitude/vibe of the students at North Texas when I attended (early 70's). They'd roll their eyes and/or smirk at other schools and their corny traditions. Meanwhile the good ol' cool North Texas football-basketball teams were getting their collective asses kicked by those cornballs.

And just in case my point is not clear enough. The Texas school with one of the biggest cornball traditions is on the verge of being national champions. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

It was my attempt at being sarcastic/cynical about my/our alma mater. "We're too cool for stuff like that" was always the attitude/vibe of the students at North Texas when I attended (early 70's). They'd roll their eyes and/or smirk at other schools and their corny traditions. Meanwhile the good ol' cool North Texas football-basketball teams were getting their collective asses kicked by those cornballs.

And just in case my point is not clear enough. The Texas school with one of the biggest cornball traditions is on the verge of being national champions. 

Probably right considering the attitude of a poster on here. Considering how old that cheer is now, they don’t have time nor care about that. 

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Probably right considering the attitude of a poster on here. Considering how old that cheer is now, they don’t have time nor care about that. 

Two things.

1. "They don't have time or care" should be the sub-title of our university's official name..."University of North Texas" (we don't have time or care about traditions)

2. "Considering how old that cheer is"...maybe we could stir up some interest now that "The Gilded Age" series has become so popular. Maybe we could get them to have an episode where they attend a football game, and the crowd uses our chant/yell.