GOMEANGREEN Recruiting Update: January 3rd, 2023

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Also want to say outside the SOC guys we offered, seeing these players and their offer lists doesn't look much better than Littrell.

How are we gonna have "top notch recruiters" and still be battling against the likes of Grambling State and Abilene Christian? Concerning to say the least

Since I believe all of the SOC kids were offered under Littrell and re-offered under Morris wouldn’t those also be excluded from being better than Littrell?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Young man looked good in the limited (very) action that he saw, but the RB room is deep with Adaway, Ragsdale, Adeyi,  Johnson, Jackson and Farrar currently ahead of him.  I wish the young man well and hope he finds a place where he can contribute.  Can't fault a young man for looking for a place with playing time.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Since I believe all of the SOC kids were offered under Littrell and re-offered under Morris wouldn’t those also be excluded from being better than Littrell?

Yeah. I give Seth credit for offering this kids and Morris the same credit for re-offering. I'm gonna question beating out Northeast Technical School for the Deaf and Blind just as much under Morris as I did Littrell.

This day in age "diamonds in the rough" are much harder to find. If we are landing guys that don't have comparable/better offers than us, It's gonna be a head scratcher regardless of the coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah. I give Seth credit for offering this kids and Morris the same credit for re-offering. I'm gonna question beating out Northeast Technical School for the Deaf and Blind just as much under Morris as I did Littrell.

This day in age "diamonds in the rough" are much harder to find. If we are landing guys that don't have comparable/better offers than us, It's gonna be a head scratcher regardless of the coach.

I’m with you

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

FCS is loaded with really good players who did not receive offers. This is where having coaches with connections can help. I have no problem taking a couple of "diamonds" each year if the coaches see something in them.
college gameday sport GIF

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

FCS is loaded with really good players who did not receive offers. This is where having coaches with connections can help. I have no problem taking a couple of "diamonds" each year if the coaches see something in them.
college gameday sport GIF

Mazin Richards out of D2 turned out to be fantastic as did Kaylon Horton from FCS.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Mazin Richards out of D2 turned out to be fantastic as did Kaylon Horton from FCS.

Horton was actually recruited out of Cy Ridge as a DII player.  Tarleton transitioned to FCS during his Junior season.  I agree with an earlier post that there is some major talent at the lower levels.  You just gotta go find em.  Horton’s talent is quickness & speed.  He only lettered in football one season but was a track star as all through high school so it doesn’t surprise me that larger schools passed on him for football.  Lone Star opponents did not like having to punt and kick to him.

Rick

• Upvote 3

This..." Had we not been able to add those 13 transfers, you know, we would have been in trouble defensively," Dykes told the Athletic. I'm sure Tulane could say the same. It looks like with the staff additions, EM wants to concentrate on HS players. I'm hopeful TP players through his evaluation will come in and play a big part of our success. I wonder if the NIL money is a bigger factor to attract TP players?

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:11 AM, MGNation92 said:

We have all the pieces offensively to be successful immediately. So keeping as many as we can here will be huge. QB remains the biggest question mark. Are we gonna have any transfer portal activity there? Or is there gonna be an in house solution?

IMO the most important piece going into next year

Finding a QB has to be the priority right now.   So, when can a new coach workout position players on a team to see what he has inherited?

On 1/3/2023 at 3:32 PM, jtm0097 said:

I think he was a walk on. Please correct me if I am wrong. Best of luck to him!

He was a walk on but I hate to lose him.  He was 1st team 6A all-state as a senior.  His only appearance that I can recall he took us down the field for a touchdown.  He just walked on at a school that was pretty loaded with running backs that were ahead of him.  I wish him the best and I if someone looks into his background he'll get a scholarship somewhere.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

Finding a QB has to be the priority right now.   So, when can a new coach workout position players on a team to see what he has inherited?

Likely not until spring ball; however, one has to think the new S&C team can work the QB room out at any time to see what kind of S&C plan they need to implement...

12 hours ago, NT80 said:

7 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Likely not until spring ball; however, one has to think the new S&C team can work the QB room out at any time to see what kind of S&C plan they need to implement...

Coaches have a ton of practice film on current players. Wouldn’t be surprised they already know what they inherited and who that plan on keeping and what they need. Staff been in all week watching film. Now they are hosting visitors as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2