Expanded playoff open door for NIT/CBI type arrangement in FB?

kj86

Could the expansion to a 12-team playoff result in 2nd, 3rd, 4th level football tournaments?  This would give ESPN a ton more programming.  Higher seeds host early rounds with existing bowls used for later rounds.  Interest would remain higher for longer for many more teams/fans.  How many teams currently end up in bowls...84ish?

National Championship - 12 teams

+ 3 more levels at 16 teams each = 60 total teams involved.  You could still have bowls for the remaining teams that don't make one of the tourneys. 

One reason I like this is more games between P5s and G5s. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Something has to change. Too many opt-outs and transfer portal players not playing. There seems to be discussions about moving the required wins to 7 games. This would probably eliminate 1/3 of the games. 

The scenario above would still make players opt out if they aren't in the real playoff. I think moving the wins to 7 is a good idea, bowls are becoming less and less important if they aren't part of the playoff so less of them is a good thing. 

1 minute ago, Green Otaku said:

The scenario above would still make players opt out if they aren't in the real playoff. I think moving the wins to 7 is a good idea, bowls are becoming less and less important if they aren't part of the playoff so less of them is a good thing. 

One of the things you always hear coaches say that is important during bowl season is the extra practices for the young players. Maybe you eliminate bowl games and somehow if a team hits six wins you allow them additional practice time.

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

One of the things you always hear coaches say that is important during bowl season is the extra practices for the young players. Maybe you eliminate bowl games and somehow if a team hits six wins you allow them additional practice time.

The players opting out really impacts the quality of the teams in the Bowls.  They are not the same.  Also, the bar should be 7 wins for a Bowl.  NT played in a Bowl with 4 wins and got crushed.  5 and 6 win teams likewise are a waste, only good for practice fodder.  Instead, why not add in a couple pre-season games for all programs?  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think they meant practice as in reps in a real game so I don't think out of game practice is what they are talking about.

I did a quick search and this is what a 7 win requirement would look like. X means that bowl would not happen and / means one of the teams was 6-6 which would need to be replaced by a 7 win team. We would lose 9 bowls with 6 of those featuring two 6-6 teams. 

crop.png.643b4bbe6aadc76c04ce96f107a87f3f.png

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Something has to change. Too many opt-outs and transfer portal players not playing. There seems to be discussions about moving the required wins to 7 games. This would probably eliminate 1/3 of the games. 

I hope you are right 6-6 teams (5-6 vs FBS competition usually) had no business going to bowl games.  The independent greed of the bowl games killed the opportunity to keep them in place and relevant in the National Championship process other than as sights for playoff games.  The BCS was garbage.  All they need to do do was have a 4 team playoff of bowl game winners after the Bowls.  That way the penalty for losing or not even appearing in your conference championship game is not diminished.   And I say that as I cheered for both Ohio State and TCU to win Saturday.  Under a version of old system Utah va Michigan play in Rose Bowl,  KSU vs Ohio State in Fiesta Bowl,  TCU vs Bama in the Cotton Bowl,  Georgia vs Clemson in the Sugar Bowl,  and  Tulane vs Tennessee in the Orange Bowl.   We would have gotten 5 very intriguing games.  And Tulane would have an automatic shot into the  4 team playoff if they rightly put in a stipulation that G5 with 2 loses or less with a conference title can’t be left out after winning their Bowl game.   The playoff won’t be good for FBS football overall imo.  In addition to the New Years 6 all we need was about 24 more bowl game for an even 30 MAX.  That is 60 teams with is about 45% of all FBS.  And with the safety concerns the last thing we want is for the players to play meaningless games very few will remember.  10 years from now will the Cheez It Bowl exist?  If you got a Cheez It Bowl Championship ring who would care?  The history and name recognition of the Bowl gives it significance.