Breaking: Aune Enters NFL Draft

TheReal_jayD

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Breaking: Aune Withdraws from Portal
9 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

So how does this work? Does he still have a scholarship with us? I thought a few people on here were saying his scholarship was forfeit if he officially went into the portal, but I don't know enough about it to know if that is true.

Scholarships are renewed for entire academic school years. There is nothing official for the next season/school year, but what people are saying is if someone enters the portal and the coaching staff choose to fill their spot, they don’t have to renew that player’s scholarship if they choose to withdraw from the portal.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Glory to the Green said:

I’m pretty sure he’s declaring for the draft.  Wishing him the best!  

I think in an interview he said if he didn't get an opportunity he liked he would withdraw and prepare for the NFL draft. I think he was counting on an offer from TCU or SMU as he wants to stay in this area

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

23 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Will you forgive Seth for his handling of our QB’s if Aune is our starter next season?

No, because he should have recuirted and developed an alternative that was better.  I still believe that Bean in a system taking advantage of his legs would have been a more productive (W/L wise) QB.   And even if I am wrong about Bean it still overlooks not recruiting guys better than Gunnell or Ruder.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

25 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This makes sense

I don't know why he would believe TCU or SMU would want him as anything but a backup.  And from a financial standpoint going there as a walk-on would not be wise for grown man with bills and a family.  TCU certainly is probably keeping scholarships in reserve to capitalize on huge amount late season pub.  They have a head coach that isn't going anywhere (not even the NFL) for at least 4 years.  You usually can't say that for any program not even Bama.  Maybe he heard rumors about multiple SMU quarterbacks leaving is the only way hoping for a local move makes sense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

He is not coming back to be on the bench.  I have less confidence in this coach if we talked him back to staying.

🤷🏾‍♂️ Maybe he has seen practice tape on the other QB's on the roster?  Also you can't fault him for being pragmatic in the face of not getting to Recruiting season with all his resources already in place.  Also I don't he is promising Aune the starting job just a chance to legitimately compete for it.  I think he has heard from NFL scouts and now knows for certain he won't be drafted.  More free education (without the transfer credit challenges) is nothing to scoff at either.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2