I think TCU winning last night is good for us

2 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

Agree that their target level will certainly rise, but did we ever really compete against them for recruits?

I don't know about on a regular basis, but DaWaylon Cook comes to mind as a TCU commit that Todd Dodge flipped to UNT: https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/dawaylon-cook-65599?view=pv

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

8 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

Agree that their target level will certainly rise, but did we ever really compete against them for recruits?

Yes, there have been a few times over the years they beat us out for recruits. I'm getting old but I remember losing a WR from Desoto during the McCarney years and a DL Terrell Cooper from Lindale that's currently starting for them.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3

Best part I loved about that game was when they first needed a yard in the biggest game they’ve played in since 1938 they dialed up some common sense.

I also can see their appearance in the NC possibly elevate DFW college football, and yes, we have recruited against them in the past.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, meangreenfaninno said:

They will be recruiting more on a national scene now with their big win over Michigan.  Will give us more good football players in DFW and the state.  I hope they beat Georgia as well!

I don't buy this especially since they aren't on our schedule regularly or in our conference.  If this was SMU or UTSA, rivals that appear on our schedule it would help us.  Because in that scenario good players that aren't a fit for SMU would consider us if geography was a big part of their decision process.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, meangreenfaninno said:

They will be recruiting more on a national scene now with their big win over Michigan.  Will give us more good football players in DFW and the state.  I hope they beat Georgia as well!

A secret TCU T-Shirt fan in the making! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'll take this a step further: TCU is already VERY relevant, and has been for a while.  If you think this is a Cinderella story, I think you need to recalibrate your views of the Frogs.  I can see TCU getting increased interest in players that want to compete for a national title.  Any impact in Denton is going to be residual, and probably not much.  Would love it to be more, though.  Maybe I'm being overly skeptical and it will be, for reasons I am not considering.

They were unranked coming into the season.  Despite their history, I think the Cinderella story tag is acceptable.  Now treating this as the stuff movies are made of, as one of the game commentators had mentioned, is a little over the top.  

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't know about on a regular basis, but DaWaylon Cook comes to mind as a TCU commit that Todd Dodge flipped to UNT: https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/dawaylon-cook-65599?view=pv

13 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Yes, there have been a few times over the years they beat us out for recruits. I'm getting old but I remember losing a WR from Desoto during the McCarney years and a DL Terrell Cooper from Lindale that's currently starting for them.

6 hours ago, Cooley said:

I should have chosen my words better.   EVER is a long time.   But if you've got to pull out examples from Dodge, McCarney and 2013, I think my statement still holds.   

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I haven't viewed us recruiting against TCU in a competitive way since Hayden Fry was here. The differences are so stark it's really kind of amusing that some think we are in the same "lane" of traffic. They have always been in a more visible conference. Starting from when Francione was there, they have won very noticeable bowl games (Sun Bowl vs USC, Rose Bowl vs Wisconsin just to name two).  Our only recent win was vs UNLV. And since then we've been....well....pathetic in bowl games.

And speaking of pathetic. If nothing else, they absolutely kick our ass CULTURALY in sports....mainly Football.  Their game day and in-game atmosphere make me absolutely green with envy.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I haven't viewed us recruiting against TCU in a competitive way since Hayden Fry was here. The differences are so stark it's really kind of amusing that some think we are in the same "lane" of traffic. They have always been in a more visible conference. Starting from when Francione was there, they have won very noticeable bowl games (Sun Bowl vs USC, Rose Bowl vs Wisconsin just to name two).  Our only recent win was vs UNLV. And since then we've been....well....pathetic in bowl games.

And speaking of pathetic. If nothing else, they absolutely kick our ass CULTURALY in sports....mainly Football.  Their game day and in-game atmosphere make me absolutely green with envy.

I find it interesting that you highlighted the term culture as that seemed to be a crutch phrase for Littrell.  I agree that it is important but I also thought he overused the term.  For instance, I am not sure that culture can overcome a lack of talent.

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

They show up in big games. But when they're, I don't know 7-5/6-6ish, Amon Carter is pretty underwhelming. They have city support and that fills seats in those big games, because their tiny alum base isn't going to get it done. Their ratings will be good in the likes of playoff games (as anyones would), but a run of the mill Iowa State vs TCU regular season game isn't going to pull ratings. They are what they are and they do what they do very well. Great city support, OK regional following and basically nil outside of the eastern half of Texas and beyond. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I find it interesting that you highlighted the term culture as that seemed to be a crutch phrase for Littrell.  I agree that it is important but I also thought he overused the term.  For instance, I am not sure that culture can overcome a lack of talent.

It can't. It can will you to victory in outlying situations. Talent wins most often. 

I guess we'll see Culture (TCU) vs Talent (UGA) next Monday. 

I think though Silver was referring to the city support and alum dedication side of culture. Not internal culture. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think though Silver was referring to the city support and alum dedication side of culture. Not internal culture. 

I think that Littrell was probably talking about the team culture. I'm talking about everything outside that.....students, alums, local residents, and D/FW residents.  And amongst that territory, THERE IS NO FRIGGIN' CULTURE!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They show up in big games. But when they're, I don't know 7-5/6-6ish, Amon Carter is pretty underwhelming. They have city support and that fills seats in those big games, because their tiny alum base isn't going to get it done. Their ratings will be good in the likes of playoff games (as anyones would), but a run of the mill Iowa State vs TCU regular season game isn't going to pull ratings. They are what they are and they do what they do very well. Great city support, OK regional following and basically nil outside of the eastern half of Texas and beyond. 

And in the total history of our sports programs, has North Texas ever had anything better than TCU's?  Even close?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

And in the total history of our sports programs, has North Texas ever had anything better than TCU's?  Even close?

We were better in golf Nationally at one time, lol.  

TCU's wealth allowed it into the SWC, a major conference, in 1929.  NT never had that opportunity.  However, TCU, like Smut, were both banished away when the SWC folded.  But TCU kept climbing until accepted into the Big?12.  

NT has also been climbing, not as much by winning, but by school growth and facilities.  We finally caught up to Smut.  Growth thru winning football must be our next goal!

• Upvote 1

I should start by saying that what EM has started with on his staff over the last couple weeks looks great, no complaints here. 

I should end by saying that if Garrett Riley was the incoming HC and he was about to coach for the Natty, whoa. EM may end up our next McCasland, but Riley would've started with higher regard considering TCU has a punchers chance at winning it all. 

• Upvote 1