2023 NET Rankings

13 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT wasn't able to cover the 9.5 spread, and regardless of the NET formula, the Mean Green tumbled from #38 to #47. LT beat the spread in their loss and moved up from #152 to #143. This indicator has not failed this season. 

Despite not playing a game yesterday, UNT moved up 1 spot. What was the spread against *day off*? If you remember, beating the spread against MTSU also resulted in a +1 bump. Curious about what indicator would have foresaw going up 1 after not playing a game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Despite not playing a game yesterday, UNT moved up 1 spot. What was the spread against *day off*? If you remember, beating the spread against MTSU also resulted in a +1 bump. Curious about what indicator would have foresaw going up 1 after not playing a game.

Shocked Cosmo Kramer GIF

• Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

There is always going to be movement based on other teams playing and those teams moving. I really don't understand why dislike my tracking this. Again, you don't have to follow this topic.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

There is always going to be movement based on other teams playing and those teams moving. I really don't understand why dislike my tracking this. Again, you don't have to follow this topic.

I don't have to follow the topic but you also posted it on a public forum. If you don't want any back and forth discussion on *your* topic, I'd suggest a blog or maybe even an actual journal.

I also don't dislike the topic. I'm not the one who challenged you even posting about it a week or so ago. I think it's an interesting coincidence for UNT to usually move up or down based on the spread even though the spread has zero bearing on NET rankings. Houston didn't beat the spread (was -24, they won by 6) against USF on Wednesday and didn't drop in the NET rankings once again showing your observations are nothing more than a coincidence for UNT. Regardless, it certainly is interesting how it's generally worked out for UNT.

Finally, I also enjoy following the NET rankings. If you don't check out https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2023/net, I certainly recommend it. You can select the team sheets options and it'll show all the Quad breakdowns and where our games fall in within the Quads. For some reason, I can't get it to show teams ranked around 100 and worst. Regardless, it's fun to sift through to see what movement elsewhere could possibly result in movement for us.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

The spread for this game favored FAU by 4.5 points. UNT lost by 4. So, if the spread continues to be an accurate indicator of NET movement, then UNT should actually see at least a slight bump from this road loss. I'll post an update after the new NET is released. 

lazy dog GIF

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 1/14/2023 at 3:17 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

The spread for this game favored FAU by 4.5 points. UNT lost by 4. So, if the spread continues to be an accurate indicator of NET movement, then UNT should actually see at least a slight bump from this road loss. I'll post an update after the new NET is released. 

UNT dropped a spot.

Screenshot_20230115_175005_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT beat FIU by 7 but the spread was 7.5. UNT fell a spot in the NET the next day, down to #48. As of tonight, UNT hold the #50 rank. The spread for our game against Rice favors UNT by 12.5 points. I guess UNT has to run it up or risk falling even lower in the NET.

Running it up isn't our game. At large will always be tough for us while we struggle at point differential  

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

McCasland has to make it our game if we want to have any chance of an at-large bid. UNT has to be inside the top 40 by the end of the season to have any chance.

Tough to do a month before conf tourney. It hasn't been our game in 3 years, I wish it was but I think we have to win the conf. tourney

• Upvote 1

Ratings no longer have any big meaning for NT.  It is fun to watch, but the only thing that now matters is the conference tournament.  

Win the tournament or probably go to the NIT if the finish of the regular season is not a disaster like the Rice game. 

I think NT got complacent about the Rice game, and thought it would be one of their easier wins.  NT just does not have that level of talent to win without maximum effort.   Perry is great, the best or second best player in the league, however the balance of the team consists overall of average CUSA ability.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Ratings no longer have any big meaning for NT.  It is fun to watch, but the only thing that now matters is the conference tournament.  

Win the tournament or probably go to the NIT if the finish of the regular season is not a disaster like the Rice game. 

I think NT got complacent about the Rice game, and thought it would be one of their easier wins.  NT just does not have that level of talent to win without maximum effort.   Perry is great, the best or second best player in the league, however the balance of the team consists overall of average CUSA ability.  

I don't quite understand this logic.  If we were to win the CUSA tournament, then ratings/rankings would be critical in determining our seed in the NCAA tournament.  And, we are by no means a lock for the NIT at this point.  Ratings also matter in that regard.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Greendylan said:

I don't quite understand this logic.  If we were to win the CUSA tournament, then ratings/rankings would be critical in determining our seed in the NCAA tournament.  And, we are by no means a lock for the NIT at this point.  Ratings also matter in that regard.

Yes, but I said no big meaning not no meaning.

Yes, they effect seeding; but I doubt they will change much like stated unless NT goes on a really bad streak.  

Of course if you think being ranked 63 is a big difference than being ranked 58 than every game is extremely meaningful.  

24 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, but I said no big meaning not no meaning.

Yes, they effect seeding; but I doubt they will change much like stated unless NT goes on a really bad streak.  

Of course if you think being ranked 63 is a big difference than being ranked 58 than every game is extremely meaningful.  

Well, sure, we may differ on what we consider to be "big" consequences of the NET ranking.  To me, being a 12 seed instead of 15 is huge.  And, I think getting up out of the 60s/70s to have a shot at the NIT is big.  But yes, I see your point.

• Upvote 1

Games to watch on 1-21: #101 Grand Canyon vs #79 Utah Valley and #128 San Jose State at #33 Utah State. A Grand Canyon win will almost certainly bring them back to the top 100 making them again a Quad 2 win for us. San Jose State needs to go up 28 spots which will be tough to do off 1 game but a Quad 1 win at Utah State would greatly help.

Bad news is UNC Wilmington is now ranked 132 in a weak conference. They've dropped 3 of their last 5 with the wins coming against #352 Elon (0-18) and #323 Stony Brook (5-13). Next up is #358 Monmouth (1-19) on the 26th. Turning out to be a bad loss.

Edited by GMG_Dallas