2023 NET Rankings

6 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Despite terrible losses by teams we have beaten this season, UNT moved up from #39 to #38 in the NET. We beat the spread and we moved up in the NET. It seems like a simple formula. This season, I have yet to observe UNT drop in the NET after covering the spread. 

It is not a simple formula. The NET formula does not include if a team covers against the spread. It takes into account quality of opponent, location, points allowed per possession, points scored per possession, and win or loss. 

The spread is set based on our past results. If we are beating the spread, thus outplaying a bar set by our past performances, logically that means we raised our cumulative performance for the year. 

That doesn’t mean the NET formula weighs how we do against the spread. It’s just that beating the spread means having a game that exceeds the average of our previous results, which should result in NET improving, and has based on your observation.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It is not a simple formula. The NET formula does not include if a team covers against the spread. It takes into account quality of opponent, location, points allowed per possession, points scored per possession, and win or loss. 

The spread is set based on our past results. If we are beating the spread, thus outplaying a bar set by our past performances, logically that means we raised our cumulative performance for the year. 

That doesn’t mean the NET formula weighs how we do against the spread. It’s just that beating the spread means having a game that exceeds the average of our previous results, which should result in NET improving, and has based on your observation.

Maybe it doesn't, but we appear to move up or down as we preform against the spread. So, as long as that remains true, I will continue to track this.... because I find it interesting. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Maybe it doesn't, but we appear to move up or down as we preform against the spread. So, as long as that remains true, I will continue to track this.... because I find it interesting. 

Why are you refusing to see the solution put in front of you? Multiple posters have shown you the formulas, shown the quad wins and losses, etc. 

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

This is pretty much it here. There is nothing else to it. What would it take for you to see that the above is the case? Beating the spread and moving down? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Excluding the AAC teams that are moving to Big 12, here are current NET ratings for top C-USA and AAC teams. 

15 - FAU

38 - UNT

59 - Memphis

71 - UAB

87 - Charlotte

111 - Tulane

130 - MTSU

136 - Wichita State

This suggests that C-USA teams will be very competitive with remaining AAC teams. Houston (NET - 1), UCF (36) and Cincinnati (100) should have fun in the Big12.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Why are you refusing to see the solution put in front of you? Multiple posters have shown you the formulas, shown the quad wins and losses, etc. 

This is pretty much it here. There is nothing else to it. What would it take for you to see that the above is the case? Beating the spread and moving down? 

What does it matter? I made this thread and want to post about it. You don't have to read this stuff. 

And, I don't care if the spread isn't officially part of the formula. It has been an accurate indicator of our movement all season. So, I'm going to keep tracking it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

What does it matter? I made this thread and want to post about it. You don't have to read this stuff. 

And, I don't care if the spread isn't officially part of the formula. It has been an accurate indicator of our movement all season. So, I'm going to keep tracking it. 

Because you keep talking about it in every game thread. Again everyone has told you how the NET works with facts and numbers, your argument is to ignore that and go just off of what you feel is right. Have some self awareness of how those two arguments stack up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

16 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

It’s not an accurate indicator, it’s a superstition. 

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Because you keep talking about it in every game thread. Again everyone has told you how the NET works with facts and numbers, your argument is to ignore that and go just off of what you feel is right. Have some self awareness of how those two arguments stack up. 

I haven't brought it up in every game thread. I address it in this thread, which is the proper place for it.

• Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It’s not an accurate indicator, it’s a superstition. 

It's been accurate all season. And currently the spread for tomorrow's game against LA Tech is at 9.5. I predict that if we again beat the spread our NET ranking will improve. If following this anomaly is insignificant to you, then ignore my posts. Or you can just ignore this thread all together. No one is forcing you to read or follow this topic.  

• Upvote 4

On 1/10/2023 at 6:00 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

It's been accurate all season. And currently the spread for tomorrow's game against LA Tech is at 9.5. I predict that if we again beat the spread our NET ranking will improve. If following this anomaly is insignificant to you, then ignore my posts. Or you can just ignore this thread all together. No one is forcing you to read or follow this topic.  

Today UNT was #38 and LA Tech was #152. The last spread I saw was 9.5 and we only won by 2. I'm fairly sure FAU didn't cover the spread against FIU either. So unfortunately, I suspect we will drop in the next NET ranking. I'll post the new NET when I see it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

No it wasn't. The spread for that game was 4, and we won by 4. 

You're correct on that part, my apologies. We did not go up 18 points because of a 4 point win. We did it because 2 other teams we beat bumped up into the Quad 2 zone. One of those 2 teams we beat has since gone back down to Quad 3 zone hence why we only went up 1 spot despite beating the spread against MTSU.

Beat the spread once, go up 18. Beat the spread again, go up 1. It's irrelevant to NET rankings.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Today UNT was #38 and LA Tech was #152. The last spread I saw was 9.5 and we only won by 2. I'm fairly sure FAU didn't cover the spread against FIU either. So unfortunately, I suspect we will drop in the next NET ranking. I'll post the new NET when I see it. 

The 9.5 spread was way too generous for Tech and UNT. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT wasn't able to cover the 9.5 spread, and regardless of the NET formula, the Mean Green tumbled from #38 to #47. LT beat the spread in their loss and moved up from #152 to #143. This indicator has not failed this season. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT wasn't able to cover the 9.5 spread, and regardless of the NET formula, the Mean Green tumbled from #38 to #47. LT beat the spread in their loss and moved up from #152 to #143. This indicator has not failed this season. 

Except you are ignoring the indicators that the NET takes into account.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Do you track this for every team?

• Upvote 2