2023 NET Rankings

9 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT 70

WKU 66

Final

Despite a slim 4 point win on the road over a #198 WKU team, UNT beat the spread by half a point and should see a slight bump in their next NET ranking. We will see.

Spread was -4 at tip-off. We won by 4 so did not beat the spread. Went up 14 spots to 39. Here's the reason why: Grand Canyon jumped up 18 spots to 94 making it a Quad 2 win instead of Quad 3. They beat Sam Houston on the road which was a Quad 1 win for them.

Screenshot_20230105_224512_ESPN.jpg

Screenshot_20230106_081906_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Ever heard of the phrase “correlation does not imply causation?”

Yes. But no one foresaw UNT jumping 14 spots after a 4 point win against a #198 NET ranked WKU. Seems to me for that to occur other teams that were ranked near us had to really crap the bed. 

I'm going to keep tracking this anyway. Maybe there is nothing to it, but it isn't a great effort on my part to track it. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Yes. But no one foresaw UNT jumping 14 spots after a 4 point win against a #198 NET ranked WKU. Seems to me for that to occur other teams that were ranked near us had to really crap the bed. 

I'm going to keep tracking this anyway. Maybe there is nothing to it, but it isn't a great effort on my part to track it. 

Grand Canyon, who we beat, won AT previously 27th in NET Sam Houston State last night. Our win was a true road win as well. There are way more variables than just how we did against the spread. But obviously if we do good against the spread that likely means good things for the variables that NET takes into account.

04A6CF12-EA8B-4BB7-81AA-ED42E4BDC5BB.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

We beat the spread but I'm hoping for minimal gains or stay put. I'm expecting to drop a bit to the mid-40s. San Jose State, ranked #96 at the start of the day, lost and will likely fall outside the top 100 turning that win from Quad 2 to Quad 3. Grand Canyon, #95 at the start of the day, also lost to SFA. They'll likely drop out of the top 100.

We'll either end up 0-1 in Quad 2s or 1-1 if MTSU doesn't drop outside the top 135.

I'd gladly be wrong.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

We beat the spread but I'm hoping for minimal gains or stay put. I'm expecting to drop a bit to the mid-40s. San Jose State, ranked #96 at the start of the day, lost and will likely fall outside the top 100 turning that win from Quad 2 to Quad 3. Grand Canyon, #95 at the start of the day, also lost to SFA. They'll likely drop out of the top 100.

We'll either end up 0-1 in Quad 2s or 1-1 if MTSU doesn't drop outside the top 135.

I'd gladly be wrong.

If FIU beats UAB would it help offset these other opponent loses?

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

If FIU beats UAB would it help offset these other opponent loses?

No. They'd have to jump almost 100 spots to go from Quad 4 to Quad 3. Honestly, UAB and FAU need to go nearly perfect to remain 75 when we visit them. Charlotte has dipped outside the top 75 already meaning our visit to Charlotte will likely be a Quad 2 game for us unless they go on a run. Need UAB and FAU to win as much as possible except against us.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

No. They'd have to jump almost 100 spots to go from Quad 4 to Quad 3. Honestly, UAB and FAU need to go nearly perfect to remain top 75 and be Quad 1 games when they come to Denton. Charlotte has dipped outside the top 75 already meaning their visit to Denton will likely be a Quad 2 game for us unless they go on a run. Need UAB and FAU to win as much as possible except against us.

Well FIU just beat UAB In the last seconds of OT.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

Well FIU just beat UAB In the last seconds of OT.

Well, guess it'll be a 1-bid conference after all unless UNT and FAU only lose to each other and play each other in the tourney championship game.

To add: or if FAU or UNT finish in the top 30. I believe the highest ranked NET team to miss out on the tournament was a low-major ranked 33 but had one of the worst SOS. They just blew out every conference foe until their conference tourney. If I recall, they changed the NET formula to start the 2021-2022 season because of that.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'd gladly be wrong.

Those other scores might have an effect, but I think UNT will move up a few spots in tomorrow's NET. This season, I haven't seen UNT drop in the NET after beating the spread.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Those other scores might have an effect, but I think UNT will move up a few spots in tomorrow's NET. This season, I haven't seen UNT drop in the NET after beating the spread.

Despite terrible losses by teams we have beaten this season, UNT moved up from #39 to #38 in the NET. We beat the spread and we moved up in the NET. It seems like a simple formula. This season, I have yet to observe UNT drop in the NET after covering the spread. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Despite terrible losses by teams we have beaten this season, UNT moved up from #39 to #38 in the NET. We beat the spread and we moved up in the NET. It seems like a simple formula. This season, I have yet to observe UNT drop in the NET after covering the spread. 

Grand Canyon is at #99 so still top 100 in Quad 2 range. MTSU stayed top 135 so also Quad 2. This has nothing to do with the spread.

• Upvote 1