'24 PG Jaylen Washington, Lake Highlands HS (Dallas)

greenminer

• greenminer changed the title to '24 PG Jaylen Washington, Lake Highlands HS (Dallas)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was at their game last night against a short handed Arlington Martin. Martin’s entire bench was ineligible due to a fight against Lewisville the game before. (11 guys) Slowed the game down with a UNT four corner offense. Appeared to be the better team until one of their better kids fouled out. (Continued to play with 4 fouls in the 2nd quarter)

OK, I’ll keep it real. Don’t think this kid is a big time recruit. He is, however, another kid that fits the McCasland system perfectly. Scored 2 points last night. Shared bringing the ball up court against the Martin pressure. If you’re not familiar with Lake Highlands, they have a 5 star wing (Trey Johnson) who is the number 1 Junior in Texas and projected to be the #1 recruit in the Country in the 2024 class. He didn’t disappoint. A future first round NBA prospect. 

Washington is a smallish true point guard. Good handles and quickness but I don’t see him elevating the program. Don’t remember seeing any outside shots. They also have a slender 6-10 center that is somewhat raw but can really jump. 

Good to see both UNT recruits continue to advance to the 3rd round of the HS playoffs Friday. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Couple more videos. My observations are he likes going to the rim. When he crosses somebody and gets them off balance, his instinct is to hit the open hole and get the lay-up, not take the open 3 like Perry would but like the first video here shows, he can hit the open 3 in a catch and shoot situation. Loves the crossover and behind the back dribbles. Good handles overall.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Transfers to Dynamic Prep in Irving where former NBA All-Star Jermaine O'Neal will be his head coach. I hope we hold on to him. Also wouldn't mind if we could land the commitment of his new teammate, Jermaine O'Neal Jr. Back to Washington, he keeps ascending. Just strikes me as one of those guys who wins in life. Eager to see that come true when he arrives on campus.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4

• 3 months later...