Fan support

slider1986

3 hours ago, rcade said:

Yes, UNT needs more butts in seats. But bowl attendance isn't just about fan bases not stepping up.

There are a lot of bowl games that draw poorly. The Cure Bowl in Orlando got 11,911 to see UTSA and Troy, the Bahamas Bowl got 12,172 to see Miami (No Not That One) and UAB, the Fenway Bowl got around 15,000 to see Cincinnati and Louisville and our Frisco Bowl crowd was 12,221.

All of these bowls were created for television and nobody with hair on their nethers grew up watching them.

Lol,  maybe 100 people in the far stands at that game.

You can buy Bud Light by the case at the Bahamas Bowl, which is fitting  because it's the drunkest bowl game ever | This is the Loop | Golf Digest

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 6

On 12/31/2022 at 11:45 AM, wardly said:

I don't see it as the personal responsibility of our head football and basketball coaches to fill their venue. Yes they should have control of the product  but our Athletic Director has control of marketing . To me the root our our ongoing attendance problem is lack of interest by the student body . Sometimes the answer is simple.For example ,a dog food company was having their national sales meeting in Dallas and their Sales Director was berating the sales force for lack of sales. He said that he couldn't understand why sales were so poor as their product was as good as their main competitor ,less expense, and his sales force was reputed to be the best in the industry. He demanded to know what the problem was. At that point a salesman from East Texas stood up and said, " the dogs don't like it." It appears to me that our student body doesn't like what we are selling. Just an old man's opinion.

^ive said this time and time again and 1000% agree… when the student base is 50/50 on campus or commutes you can not view it as a student base for 44k… only 22k (and that’s probably an over estimate) live on campus or in Denton. Then this is a liberal arts college, what do we expect. If we do 50% of the 22k, saying it’s a 50/50 split of the on campus students that like/love football, that’s only 11k (that number is likely way above actual %). 

If we want to start filling apogee, put a descent team out in the field.. we saw this the year we beat Arkansas. After we did we had homecoming, and blew it to LAT , the stadium was nearly packed. 

we are a few pieces away.. Morris seems to have a bettter grip of the HC spot to SL (not his fault for being a new/1st HC). Morris it seems can develop/Find QBs. Let’s hope he can keep said QB from NIL deals, and a few WRs that can catch the ball.

3 hours ago, rcade said:

Yes, UNT needs more butts in seats. But bowl attendance isn't just about fan bases not stepping up.

There are a lot of bowl games that draw poorly. The Cure Bowl in Orlando got 11,911 to see UTSA and Troy, the Bahamas Bowl got 12,172 to see Miami (No Not That One) and UAB, the Fenway Bowl got around 15,000 to see Cincinnati and Louisville and our Frisco Bowl crowd was 12,221.

All of these bowls were created for television and nobody with hair on their nethers grew up watching them.

^agreed along with that facts that game times, locations, weather, also play an impact… 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, wardly said:

No. A friend of mine and I purchased 4 tickets but didn't go because of the weather. I am 80, and in the past 6 months have had Covid and a bad cold twice so I we bailed . I have been to every UNT bowl game except for the Myrtle Bowl and the Sun Bowl, which was before my time. Last year we went to both the Frisco Bowl featuring UTSA and the 'Other Bowl" with UNT vs Miami of Ohio. I had between two and 4 club seats since the opening of our stadium. However a combination of  Covid concerns and old age forced me to give them up. I also gave up two floor seats at our basketball arena .I do, however, continue to financially support the Mean Green Club, and am very excited out our new Athletic Director's football coaching hire and feel like Morris is putting together a great staff. Go Eagles!

I don’t think he was questioning you or if you were at the game, I think he was going after @slider1986

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

^ive said this time and time again and 1000% agree… when the student base is 50/50 on campus or commutes you can not view it as a student base for 44k… only 22k (and that’s probably an over estimate) live on campus or in Denton. Then this is a liberal arts college, what do we expect. If we do 50% of the 22k, saying it’s a 50/50 split of the on campus students that like/love football, that’s only 11k (that number is likely way above actual %). 

If we want to start filling apogee, put a descent team out in the field.. we saw this the year we beat Arkansas. After we did we had homecoming, and blew it to LAT , the stadium was nearly packed. 

we are a few pieces away.. Morris seems to have a bettter grip of the HC spot to SL (not his fault for being a new/1st HC). Morris it seems can develop/Find QBs. Let’s hope he can keep said QB from NIL deals, and a few WRs that can catch the ball.

^agreed along with that facts that game times, locations, weather, also play an impact… 

I never knew UNT was a Liberal Arts College. Maybe in the early 60's when I attended and NTSU was known for its Music and Education Departments as well as being a commuter college it might have been leaning in that direction but 60 years later it is not. I see us as a University with a strong School of Business and a emerging School of Engineering just to name a few of the disciplines. As far as how many of the 40,000+ students who actually live in Denton I am as clueless  as you. In addition, to my knowledge we have never had any strong support from the citizens of Denton

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, wardly said:

No. A friend of mine and I purchased 4 tickets but didn't go because of the weather. I am 80, and in the past 6 months have had Covid and a bad cold twice so I we bailed . I have been to every UNT bowl game except for the Myrtle Bowl and the Sun Bowl, which was before my time. Last year we went to both the Frisco Bowl featuring UTSA and the 'Other Bowl" with UNT vs Miami of Ohio. I had between two and 4 club seats since the opening of our stadium. However a combination of  Covid concerns and old age forced me to give them up. I also gave up two floor seats at our basketball arena .I do, however, continue to financially support the Mean Green Club, and am very excited out our new Athletic Director's football coaching hire and feel like Morris is putting together a great staff. Go Eagles!

Sorry to hear that amigo! GMG

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

Cannot wait for the day we see crowds like this again. That was a great day to be GREEN. Crazy that was nearly 10 years ago🤯

9555CAC0-202C-4EC8-BA55-2CBF3F67E5E9.jpeg

Actually that was only 9 years ago today. What happened to all that fan spirit? People cared. Where has all the Green gone?

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, wardly said:

I never knew UNT was a Liberal Arts College. Maybe in the early 60's when I attended and NTSU was known for its Music and Education Departments as well as being a commuter college it might have been leaning in that direction but 60 years later it is not. I see us as a University with a strong School of Business and a emerging School of Engineering just to name a few of the disciplines. As far as how many of the 40,000+ students who actually live in Denton I am as clueless  as you. In addition, to my knowledge we have never had any strong support from the citizens of Denton

You're a good fan and I always look forward to your postings.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

UNT does a poor job promoting athletics, though basketball has always had a cult following at the school. 

Why was the frisco bowl so poorly attended???  because it was in frisco!  if that game was played in the Cotton Bowl it would have easily drawn more fans. 

8:15 pm start in very cold weather = fewer fans

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

UNT does a poor job promoting athletics, though basketball has always had a cult following at the school. 

Why was the frisco bowl so poorly attended???  because it was in frisco!  if that game was played in the Cotton Bowl it would have easily drawn more fans. 

8:15pm with temps in the mid 30s absolutely would not have had better attendance at the Cotton Bowl.

Rupert Grint Smoking GIF by Apple TV+

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Just wait till next Sunday when North Dakota State plays South Dakota state for the FCS championship game in Frisco. 

It will be a sell out and the fans for both teams will take over Frisco/Plano starting on Wednesday. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Just wait till next Sunday when North Dakota State plays South Dakota state for the FCS championship game in Frisco. 

It will be a sell out and the fans for both teams will take over Frisco/Plano starting on Wednesday. 

North and South Dakota weather next Sunday is about 24 degrees. Frisco weather next Sunday is 61 degrees, but who is counting.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

In addition, to my knowledge we have never had any strong support from the citizens of Denton

You are 1000% correct there.  I grew up in Denton and if you told me that UNT no longer  played "big time" (as I had no clue what D-1 mean and FCS identification wasn't used until the 90s) college sports I would have believed you.  The only thing I knew for certain is that it had an elite music school and it was primarily known for educating teachers (outside the color green, logos and Eagle mascot 🤷🏾‍♂️).  It was only after leaving and spending time away in the Army that I researched and found out my home town school was just as viable as any other large public university in our state and better than many.  If I had the resources and grades out of high school to pick a school I doubt I would have researched UNT.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

No way.  8:15pm at the Cotton Bowl?   Lol.   

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Littrell lost this fanbase between the periods of flirting with the Kansas State job and getting throttled by a skeleton crew coaching staff in the N.M. Bowl in 2018.  

Rick

Exactly.   Look at the reduction in season tickets steadily after that.   All his trophy games ended in losses. 

New HC = New fan revival

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

14 hours ago, wardly said:

What I mean by liberal arts, is that the board/leadership of the university have turned the school into a vastly “woke” and snowflake school.. yes the business and engineering still produce but they are outnumbered by the number of music, physc, sociology, etc majors we are producing that have 0 interest in sports…

I will also point out, we have entire degrees that are things such as “Sports Managment” at UNT and it tdoes not feed into nor have any connection to the AD office. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

What I mean by liberal arts, is that the board/leadership of the university have turned the school into a vastly “woke” and snowflake school.. yes the business and engineering still produce but they are outnumbered by the number of music, physc, sociology, etc majors we are producing that have 0 interest in sports…

I will also point out, we have entire degrees that are things such as “Sports Managment” at UNT and it tdoes not feed into nor have any connection to the AD office. 

Yes and the liberal slant is also embraced by Dr. Smatresk. 

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:08 PM, slider1986 said:

Over 15,000 at the Birmingham Bowl between two mid majors traveling a lot farther than from Denton to Frisco. UNT has failed to sell out the Frisco Bowl in our own backyard for two straight years. This year we get just over 12k 30 minutes from our campus against a brand name opponent like Boise State and they had a lot of those fans. Someone please explain how the forum and fan expectations I see  line up with the complete lack of support in real time fan attendance?  Other than being in the DFW area as far as a television base what is going to get us in the upper tier of programs during the next wave of separation of haves and have nots?  We have the bare minimum number of sports to be even considered a d1 university and only 6 mens teams. We have 44,000 students, a huge alumni base in the area, and barely anyone attends a bowl game in Frisco, Texas. I’ll hang up and listen. 

Why in hades would you pen a topic called "lack of fan support" during recruiting?  Just makes me question your intentions and loyalties is all @slider1986

Or maybe it was just a accident?  Please convince me otherwise..  I'll hang up an listen.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Big Z said:

And as they should. They have trustworthy football programs with staffs they trust. They also have students and alum that care about football. They also haven't been blown out 4 times just this season. And they're playing for a natty. I hope those fans enjoy their time. 

Just win. Win some more. Keep winning. That's the answer for support. Compete with everyone on the schedule. Show a program that is incapable of being blown out with any kind consistency. Sometimes win when you're not supposed to. Mostly win the games you're supposed to. Go to Highland Park and win. Win a bowl game. Beat Cal. Do things that are against our norm. Then start doing it consistently. All the while keep making UNT a business and engineering destination university. Then keep doing all the aforementioned things. Then recruit. Recruit. Recruit. Recruit. Recruit. Recruit. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dannymacfan said:

Great post man and I agree with the recruiting, it has been pathetic under Littrell and I expect that to change dramatically under Morris and his staff.

Morris has clearly sided with the philosophy of Jimmy's and Joe's over X's and O's. If we could recruit Denton county and the counties that border Denton county at a very high level, we will be a top 25 team in the very near future. Morris has hedged his bet that he and his staff will land this talent. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1