Fan support

slider1986

24 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

OK I'll bite.  Littrell just did not inspire the alumni and the fan base.  We climaxed after the Arkansas season and fake punt return and it just never clicked after that.  Littrell was the highest paid coach in the conference and we received  very little results in return against one of the softest schedules in the country.  In big games, like the Mean Joe Greene statue event, Littrell always killed our fan building momentum.  Plus he never spent time cultivating the fans.  Part of the job of the head coach is to be an ambassador for the university. 

Really sucks that I am being down voted for the post.  If you have a personal problem with me, be a man and send me a PM.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 5
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 23
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, slider1986 said:

Over 15,000 at the Birmingham Bowl between two mid majors traveling a lot farther than from Denton to Frisco. UNT has failed to sell out the Frisco Bowl in our own backyard for two straight years. This year we get just over 12k 30 minutes from our campus against a brand name opponent like Boise State and they had a lot of those fans. Someone please explain how the forum and fan expectations I see  line up with the complete lack of support in real time fan attendance?  Other than being in the DFW area as far as a television base what is going to get us in the upper tier of programs during the next wave of separation of haves and have nots?  We have the bare minimum number of sports to be even considered a d1 university and only 6 mens teams. We have 44,000 students, a huge alumni base in the area, and barely anyone attends a bowl game in Frisco, Texas. I’ll hang up and listen. 

You left out all the reasons why people did not go, and went straight to support regardless put blinders on and be a drone. Bad product bad support - that is pretty simple. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

45 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

OK I'll bite.  Littrell just did not inspire the alumni and the fan base.  We climaxed after the Arkansas season and fake punt return and it just never clicked after that.  Littrell was the highest paid coach in the conference and we received  very little results in return against one of the softest schedules in the country.  In big games, like the Mean Joe Greene statue event, Littrell always killed our fan building momentum.  Plus he never spent time cultivating the fans.  Part of the job of the head coach is to be an ambassador for the university. 

What was our sellout streak before Littrell came and ruined the morale?

It's just a ridiculous opinion to say because he didn't "inspire" the alumni base that we have horrible attendance for our the size of our university. 

The simplest answer is our students and alumni for whatever reason don't care.  Most will say it's because we don't win enough, but what about basketball? We've won three Conference titles or parts of them for three years and still have shitty numbers and the Pit is on campus.  We need to develop fans, not get people to show up. Fans will donate after they graduate and show up regardless of how the season is going. How do we do that.....no idea.

Also the downvote was from me and has to do with your opinion, not you as a person. That's what they are there for.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 8
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 8

3 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

The fact we haven’t ever sold out Apogee* Stadium bothers me a hell of a lot more than the Frisco.com bowl games.

*Is it Mean Green Stadium again?

I think we will do it soon, the Coach Eric Morris Effect better known as EME. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

By the screen name of the original poster, I just take this to be another baseball supporter that will be critical of every decision unless it is to add baseball. Again, the majority don’t care if we are ever successful with our current programs, they just want to see baseball added even if it means dropping back down to the Southland. That is their words not mine. They see zero value in trying to properly fund our current programs because it takes funds, in their eyes, from adding baseball. 
My question back to the author, @slider1986, what is your current level of support and would you continue to support our university if they never added baseball?

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't see it as the personal responsibility of our head football and basketball coaches to fill their venue. Yes they should have control of the product  but our Athletic Director has control of marketing . To me the root our our ongoing attendance problem is lack of interest by the student body . Sometimes the answer is simple.For example ,a dog food company was having their national sales meeting in Dallas and their Sales Director was berating the sales force for lack of sales. He said that he couldn't understand why sales were so poor as their product was as good as their main competitor ,less expense, and his sales force was reputed to be the best in the industry. He demanded to know what the problem was. At that point a salesman from East Texas stood up and said, " the dogs don't like it." It appears to me that our student body doesn't like what we are selling. Just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, slider1986 said:

Over 15,000 at the Birmingham Bowl between two mid majors traveling a lot farther than from Denton to Frisco. UNT has failed to sell out the Frisco Bowl in our own backyard for two straight years. This year we get just over 12k 30 minutes from our campus against a brand name opponent like Boise State and they had a lot of those fans. Someone please explain how the forum and fan expectations I see  line up with the complete lack of support in real time fan attendance?  Other than being in the DFW area as far as a television base what is going to get us in the upper tier of programs during the next wave of separation of haves and have nots?  We have the bare minimum number of sports to be even considered a d1 university and only 6 mens teams. We have 44,000 students, a huge alumni base in the area, and barely anyone attends a bowl game in Frisco, Texas. I’ll hang up and listen. 

Be honest, were you even at the game?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

By the screen name of the original poster, I just take this to be another baseball supporter that will be critical of every decision unless it is to add baseball. Again, the majority don’t care if we are ever successful with our current programs, they just want to see baseball added even if it means dropping back down to the Southland. That is their words not mine. They see zero value in trying to properly fund our current programs because it takes funds, in their eyes, from adding baseball. 
My question back to the author, @slider1986, what is your current level of support and would you continue to support our university if they never added baseball?

Man, another astute observation. Well done.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:08 PM, slider1986 said:

Name the mid-major in Texas that draws well when playing an another mid-major in a meaningless created yesterday bowl.   I will wait.  Post like these are so naive and show a clear lack of understanding that you can't easily erase a 20 years poor leadership and performance.  On top of that they were coached by a guy that a good portion of fans wanted fired before the season started.  You know what could have cured alot of the negative perception?  Firing that coach earlier in the year and taking a run at hiring Deion Sanders.  But I digress.  Hiring Coach Mac was the first time I really looked at this program really committed 100% to stretching the coach budget to the max to win since Hayden Fry.   Now look at Boise State’s humble beginning with us in the Big West.  There is no comparison our program looks pathetic with no excuses that Boise couldn’t offer one of the same caliber.  They’ve been in the national championship discussion.  We can’t stay in the BOTTOM of the top 25 consecutive weeks.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, slider1986 said:

Look no further than our historically awful administrative support (vocal and financial), and the nature of a fickle DFW sports base.

Any more questions? Go through the board archives and read.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Yes, UNT needs more butts in seats. But bowl attendance isn't just about fan bases not stepping up.

There are a lot of bowl games that draw poorly. The Cure Bowl in Orlando got 11,911 to see UTSA and Troy, the Bahamas Bowl got 12,172 to see Miami (No Not That One) and UAB, the Fenway Bowl got around 15,000 to see Cincinnati and Louisville and our Frisco Bowl crowd was 12,221.

All of these bowls were created for television and nobody with hair on their nethers grew up watching them.

• Upvote 5