Breaking: North Texas Hires Gary as DL Coach

TheReal_jayD

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Okay . . . then I fail to see how they provide the requested example.

To be clear, I was somewhat skeptical of the Passwaters hire, but I never saw any actual evidence of incompetence.

He was terrible & we upgraded significantly with Gary.  The proof will be in the pudding next fall.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

All coaches get their shot at some point. Here's a recent quick rise in the profession that came right through Denton.

1 year student assistant @ Colorado

1 year GA @ Arizona

1 year DB coach @ Arizona (1st full-time on-field coach position @ age of 25)

1 year GA @ Oklahoma

1 year CB coach @ UNT

1 year CB coach @ Memphis

2 years Co-DC/Safeties @ Memphis

1 year DC/Secondary @ Memphis

2 years DC @ Illinois

Now HC @ Purdue

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

On what do you base this?  Again, using your bizarre example of the Murphy twins, their production exploded their one year under Passwaters.

NT was blessed with a ton of DL talent while he was here.   A TON.  We’re going to see more out of the ones who are still here.  I promise.  Watch what happens with Jackson, Brown, Vailea, & Richards next season.  Passwaters was awful.  If you’re looking for some kind of statistical analysis to prove this, I don’t have it.  Prod & ask all you’d like.  Passwaters was awful.

As for the twins, I repeatedly watched those two flat-out ignore him/walk past him as he tried to talk to them on the sidelines during games.  Bennett could chew them out & theyd ‘yessir’ him.  I know it’s a lot of people’s favorite pass-time to knock the twins on here, and I definitely don’t want to rehash that, but we suffered drastically when they left.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

NT was blessed with a ton of DL talent while he was here.   A TON.  We’re going to see more out of the ones who are still here.  I promise.  Watch what happens with Jackson, Brown, Vailea, & Richards next season.  Passwaters was awful.  If you’re looking for some kind of statistical analysis to prove this, I don’t have it.  Prod & ask all you’d like.  Passwaters was awful.

As for the twins, I repeatedly watched those two flat-out ignore him/walk past him as he tried to talk to them on the sidelines during games.  Bennett could chew them out & theyd ‘yessir’ him.  I know it’s a lot of people’s favorite pass-time to knock the twins on here, and I definitely don’t want to rehash that, but we suffered drastically when they left.

Texan, you're normally pretty reasonable, but you are spouting nonsense here.  You have no evidence that he was either a bad coach or a particularly good coach, but you're going with bad coach because you want him to be a bad coach.

Passwaters' resume was at least comparable to these defensive position coaches Morris is hiring--it's just strange and inconsistent to drag any one of these hires through the mud while praising another to the moon.  They all look mediocre on paper.  You just have to hope that Morris and his DC have found some hidden gems.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Texan, you're normally pretty reasonable, but you are spouting nonsense here.  You have no evidence that he was either a bad coach or a particularly good coach, but you're going with bad coach because you want him to be a bad coach.

Passwaters' resume was at least comparable to these defensive position coaches Morris is hiring--it's just strange and inconsistent to drag any one of these hires through the mud while praising another to the moon.  They all look mediocre on paper.  You just have to hope that Morris and his DC have found some hidden gems.

I suppose my “evidence” will be if he gets picked up by another program as a DL coach somewhere?  Highly doubtful.

What kind of “evidence” does a positional coach generate?  I don’t know what I can show you.  Either way, I’m excited to have Gary here.   His experience & path is going to be a huge upgrade over his predecessor.  He’ll be able to teach/adjust technique so much better, because he’s a DL by nature.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Really?!?   How ‘bout the two dudes who left giant identical voids in our pass rush when they transferred out last offseason… ring a bell?

So you think they left here because of coaching? Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Being a head coach has a lot to do with great leadership.   We have hired Coach Morris banking on him being a great leader AND football mind.  You can not measure the coaching staff until they come under this leader and until they get a chance to prove themselves in this system.    Leaders build leaders.  Let's give Coach Morris a chance to do that.   

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They left because their talent allowed them to.  Nothing was keeping them here… certainly not Passwaters, whom they didn’t respect.

Agree, but I don't think they respected any of the coaches. There is a difference between wanting to play at P5, and thinking your too good for UNT. I think in their case, and who ever was advising them(Dad?), felt they were too good to be here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Agree, but I don't think they respected any of the coaches. There is a difference between wanting to play at P5, and thinking your too good for UNT. I think in their case, and who ever was advising them(Dad?), felt they were too good to be here.

In their defense, NT was basically a rudderless ship, while UCLA has Chip Kelly.

As I said before, I think they respected Bennett.  He would ream them out after some of those boneheaded penalties, and they’d stand there & take it.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Agree, but I don't think they respected any of the coaches. There is a difference between wanting to play at P5, and thinking you’re too good for UNT. I think in their case, and who ever was advising them(Dad?), felt they were too good to be here.

Following some conversations and stuff he’s posted on Twitter, it was absolutely their dad pulling the strings if not just putting stuff in their heads. I also found it funny that he had really strong opinions about Littrell being fired, yet he wasn’t a good enough coach to keep your boys around.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I will put money there is a  better chance Coach Gary gets picked up by a bigger program rather than fired within the next 36 months. 

I’ll say most will be here 2 seasons.  Either they blow up and move on to “bigger” programs or they flame out and we move on. Hope it’s the former, but either way I suspect we will be doing this again in a couple years so don’t get too attached.   

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Disagree with me about the hire if you want, but there is no record of his ability. Being a GA at a couple of programs isn't enough of a resume. 

I am trying to stay positive on the Defensive side, but it seems the HC will continue the theme of If my Defense can be "good" I can have an offense that will score more.  Not going to lie, I was hoping for a more attacking Defense, but I'll wait until the Spring to see how they look.

5 hours ago, GMG24 said:

He has, was the DL coach at North Crowley for a year and decided he really wanted to coach at the college level.  So he took a chance on himself entered the GA world and has quickly proven in college world he’s very capable.  

Maybe because it happened to me, but tough crowd and world when one can’t prove one way or the other they’re capable.  How does one do that if never given an opportunity? Fun fact, every HC,OC, DC, position coach, AD whatever you want had to be a first at some point.   Yes, this staff is giving a lot of people their first opportunity to prove it.  But guess what, Leach did the same for Morris so don’t think it’ll be the last as long as Morris is here. 

Okay. He has one year as a high school coach. That doesn't ease my mind.

I have no problem with him getting a chance at being a college coach, but that is what the FCS jobs are for. I believe we needed a D-line coach with some skins on the wall at some level of college football. But since the hire has been made, I just have to hope this Houston GA pans out.

• Upvote 2