Quarterback

peanuts104

Okay, we have a mostly new staff. Some good recruiters supposedly. Etc etc etc. Even with the couple of skill position guys we have lost to the portal, receivers look solid going into next year (knocking on wood for future portal shenanigans) and, most importantly imo, we seem to be retaining Gumms. With our obvious talent at running back, we should have a good cushion for a new QB in terms of offensive flexibility. With Aune in the draft portal draft,  let's hope Morris doesn't take him back when nobody else takes him.

So, is our future QB on the roster? Is it Gunnell? Earle? Even guys that didn't see action this year like Ruder or Head? We have a glaring hole in our roster and it has been a glaring hole for three years since Mason Fine left. I expect this is Morris' top priority in terms of players and I'm curious if we may get someone from the outside.

My personal opinion, considering Earle played more than Gunnell this season, Earle should have a slight lead I would expect unless we bring in a QB from the outside with more D1 experience.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

16 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Okay, we have a mostly new staff. Some good recruiters supposedly. Etc etc etc. Even with the couple of skill position guys we have lost to the portal, receivers look solid going into next year (knocking on wood for future portal shenanigans) and, most importantly imo, we seem to be retaining Gumms. With our obvious talent at running back, we should have a good cushion for a new QB in terms of offensive flexibility. With Aune in the draft portal,  let's hope Morris doesn't take him back when nobody else takes him.

So, is our future QB on the roster? Is it Gunnell? Earle? Even guys that didn't see action this year like Ruder or Head? We have a glaring hole in our roster and it has been a glaring hole for three years since Mason Fine left. I expect this is Morris' top priority in terms of players and I'm curious if we may get someone from the outside.

My personal opinion, considering Earle played more than Gunnell this season, Earle should have a slight lead I would expect unless we bring in a QB from the outside with more D1 experience.

No way to tell what kind of talent NT has at the QB position.   Common sense tells you that if Aune was almost used exclusively that there must not be much behind him.

However, with Littrell as HC; I am not sure that is valid.  He just didn't change qbs, it was ether Fine or Aune, no matter what the circumstances.  

I never understood this, it is not like Aune was anymore than average at best.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I think Earle will be the starter if they don’t bring someone in from the portal. Good arm for slinging the ball and good enough wheels for running out of pressure if needed. He just seems the most well rounded to me.

I think it’s Stone as well, or somebody much better we bring in.  Googling Stone’s offers, I found this tweet.  Looks like Incarnate Word was his first offer in HS, and I believe Morris would have been the coach.  If so, there’s at least some familiarity there. 437A9498-F654-44E3-9ADD-B6DFD0BFFB5C.jpeg.8a02da6b0733e1650834747d0c3a291a.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

I don’t remember a time when Stone Earle came in and didn’t exceed expectations. It was usually a 3rd or 4th with 2 or 3 yards needed for a first or, inside the 5 like during the Frisco Bowl.  Almost like a wildcat.  Opponents didn’t know how to play him.  If he’s named the starter that advantage would vanish.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, GreenBacker said:

I think it’s Stone as well, or somebody much better we bring in.  Googling Stone’s offers, I found this tweet.  Looks like Incarnate Word was his first offer in HS, and I believe Morris would have been the coach.  If so, there’s at least some familiarity there. 437A9498-F654-44E3-9ADD-B6DFD0BFFB5C.jpeg.8a02da6b0733e1650834747d0c3a291a.jpeg

Nice find! Sure enough, 2019 was Morris’ second season at IW. Looks like it was Leftwich that made the offer but I’m sure Morris knew about him. That makes things interesting.

4 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I don’t remember a time when Stone Earle came in and didn’t exceed expectations. It was usually a 3rd or 4th with 2 or 3 yards needed for a first or, inside the 5 like during the Frisco Bowl.  Almost like a wildcat.  Opponents didn’t know how to play him.  If he’s named the starter that advantage would vanish.

Exactly what I was thinking. He usually came in third and short situations and always got the first. I don’t know if the advantage would really vanish. If he has a good enough arm, good dual threat QBs will always find a way to punish you. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I think the answer to that question is:  What type QBs did UIW have while Morris was HC there?   The UIW QB this season was a fantastic duel-threat QB.  Did Morris recruit him?  

Aune and Gunnell are more pro-style pocket passers, minimal running.  Earle is more a Tebow-style passer/runner.  I doubt our next QB is on the roster now.  I would not be surprised to see a portal QB or two signed, plus a quality HS QB signed.  It is the most important position on the team and makes the team go or not!  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Isn't Earle the one who threw the ball in the dirt at the goal line in the bowl game?  A lot can change with a full offseason of work but I doubt next year's starting QB is on the current roster. 

He’s also the one that threw the shifty jump pass touchdown in the bowl game. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No way to tell what kind of talent NT has at the QB position.   Common sense tells you that if Aune was almost used exclusively that there must not be much behind him.

However, with Littrell as HC; I am not sure that is valid.  He just didn't change qbs, it was ether Fine or Aune, no matter what the circumstances.  

I never understood this, it is not like Aune was anymore than average at best.  

This is wildly inaccurate. I don’t dispute that Seth did not have the best record with QBs but this statement doesn’t hold up to facts. 
Year one he went with Morris and only went with Fine when Morris struggled.  In the first two years after Fine, they tried to do anything but start Aune. Year one it was Bean who started the year and then later came in when Aune struggled and vice versa. Year two it was Ruder who was handed the keys and couldn’t hold on to the job. And even though Aune started this whole year, they brought in three former starting QBs to try to get someone to take the reins from Aune. I think they knew his very obvious limitations and tried to replace him but no one could match his extremely average performance. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Year one he went with Morris and only went with Fine when Morris struggled.

I'm not so sure that for the long run it was better for the program that he went away from Morris in 2016. Hindsights 20/20, but if Fine had redshirted in 16 he could have played though 2021.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I'm not so sure that for the long run it was better for the program that he went away from Morris in 2016. Hindsights 20/20, but if Fine had redshirted in 16 he could have played though 2021.

I have read this and don’t quite follow. Where would we be today?  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NT80 said:

I think the answer to that question is:  What type QBs did UIW have while Morris was HC there?   The UIW QB this season was a fantastic duel-threat QB.  Did Morris recruit him?  

Aune and Gunnell are more pro-style pocket passers, minimal running.  Earle is more a Tebow-style passer/runner.  I doubt our next QB is on the roster now.  I would not be surprised to see a portal QB or two signed, plus a quality HS QB signed.  It is the most important position on the team and makes the team go or not!  

Given your assessment, Earle has the edge for QBs on the roster, which is what I saw from UIW and WSU too. Curious what we can get in the portal. You are absolutely correct in this is the most important position. If Morris doesn't win on this, it will be tough sledding.

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

This is wildly inaccurate. I don’t dispute that Seth did not have the best record with QBs but this statement doesn’t hold up to facts. 
Year one he went with Morris and only went with Fine when Morris struggled.  In the first two years after Fine, they tried to do anything but start Aune. Year one it was Bean who started the year and then later came in when Aune struggled and vice versa. Year two it was Ruder who was handed the keys and couldn’t hold on to the job. And even though Aune started this whole year, they brought in three former starting QBs to try to get someone to take the reins from Aune. I think they knew his very obvious limitations and tried to replace him but no one could match his extremely average performance. 

Agreed on everything. They really tried to keep Aune from having the ball in 20 and 21.

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

'm not so sure that for the long run it was better for the program that he went away from Morris in 2016. Hindsights 20/20, but if Fine had redshirted in 16 he could have played though 2021.

Well, we only know he could have played through 21 with hindsight because of the covid year. No way that could have influenced Fine's decision making in 2016. Alec Morris was a 3rd stringer on an Alabama team that was primarily about the run. I know he was a standout at (Allen? McKinney? can't remember and won't look it up). And to his credit, he preformed very well when Fine was injured in 16 for the bowl game and he stepped in. The fact that Fine was able to take away the position so easily shows how much of a talent he is.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I have read this and don’t quite follow. Where would we be today?  

So, if Fine had redshirt 2016, started 2017, he would have an extra year because of covid year rule. So he could have played 2017-2021 technically. But it is absurd to say we missed out for a once in a lifetime pandemic imo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Given your assessment, Earle has the edge for QBs on the roster, which is what I saw from UIW and WSU too. Curious what we can get in the portal. You are absolutely correct in this is the most important position. If Morris doesn't win on this, it will be tough sledding.

Agreed on everything. They really tried to keep Aune from having the ball in 20 and 21.

Well, we only know he could have played through 21 with hindsight because of the covid year. No way that could have influenced Fine's decision making in 2016. Alec Morris was a 3rd stringer on an Alabama team that was primarily about the run. I know he was a standout at (Allen? McKinney? can't remember and won't look it up). And to his credit, he preformed very well when Fine was injured in 16 for the bowl game and he stepped in. The fact that Fine was able to take away the position so easily shows how much of a talent he is.

Allen

• Upvote 1

I would like to see the staff go after this guy. He's currently in the portal and I think he has 1 year to play. His completion percentage was right around 60%. Apparently the Tulsa OL was terrible last year and that's part of the reason why he had high INTs. This would be a good player to start for 1 year while Morris works to get his future QB in here. I think Stone would be an interesting option as well. I'm not sure what to think about Gunnell. He played decent as a Freshman at Arizona. I hope he gets a fair chance this spring.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4362365/davis-brin

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3