Does Anyone Else Hate this Commercial?

11 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Yeah you hate it because it displays diversity and an accepting environment that goes against everything Texas stands for.

No. It’s portrays the university like it’s a place to screw around. Tier one research university…good point followed up with 2nd best school food?! Nothing is mentioned about being a Hispanic serving institution or one of the best schools for veterans. But yeah we got the 2nd best food. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

No. It’s portrays the university like it’s a place to screw around. Tier one research university…good point followed up with 2nd best school food?! Nothing is mentioned about being a Hispanic serving institution or one of the best schools for veterans. But yeah we got the 2nd best food. 

Don't feed the trolls. Another a-hole who joins to troll. 

Make you miss the early days when Harry and team would check before letting people join.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Yeah you hate it because it displays diversity and an accepting environment that goes against everything Texas stands for.

I hate it because the girl makes no compelling argument for entering any of our programs while running around in her pajamas. Nothing about this poor-excuse-for-a-commercial speaks to actual education. As a proud UNT alum, it doesn't inspire me to continue my donations the school's general scholarship fund. I guess athletics will be getting more of my money at the expense of our academics. Old alums with money aren't going donate to the endowment just so the university can fund this kind of crap. UNT isn't supposed to be a daycare. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, rojomojo said:

Since you got the other thread booted, I'll just say this. My family has been in Texas since 1748, and we've seen the flags of multiple nations fly over this land. But through all of that change, Texas has always been consistent with our culture. And it is based in tradition, family, and community. If you don't want to be part of it, that is on you. But, you won't change it. And, labeling our culture as narrow-minded, or assigning it to some inbreed mentality is discriminatory. You need to look in the mirror before calling others names.

As for UNT, I also attended UNT for free. I was awarded a fellowship, and take pride in the fact that I earned that chance at my education based on my abilities and effort, and for no other reason. No one coddled me, and I didn't expect anyone to change their mentality to accommodate my feelings. Grow up and get over it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, chomp said:

It blows my mind that with all of the enormous strides that this university has made, the programs of national and international stature that it has, and the genuinely excellent students that attend it, the folks that market UNT consistently seem to think that they are trying to market some sort of Carnival cruise.

Hey Carnival Cruises are somewhat underrated 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

After a day of self reflection and evaluation I have come to realize that I am just a Texas redneck that has no idea how the other poor souls that don't reside in Texas live and how their lifestyle is so much better than....

Pop Tv Laughing GIF by Schitt's Creek

Oh, and that commercial sucks.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Well, in all fairness the University only cares that they get paying customers.  The most cost-effective students are the mediocre ones that don't get scholarships and that take several extra years to earn that degree.  Extra points if the students don't require expensive equipment for the coursework.  So maybe the advertising is perfectly targeted.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Well this continues to be the University's favorite commercial. During the softball game yesterday. It came on at least half a dozen times. I cannot understand for the life of me who at the University approved this period. Very bush league look.

Well, considering the vast difference in the real world vs academia, it doesn’t surprise me that they like this commercial. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2