Second round of coaching announcements

TheReal_jayD

Does anyone know Coach O personally?

Best case scenario: he works his ass off to elevate UNT, upselling the Mean Green name, and bringing in the best recruits he can help get signed.

Worst case scenario: nepotism on steroids.  Just gives his HS buddy coaches the all the UNT offers to their second and third-tier players.

...just wondering if anyone has a read on how he is approaching his new position.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Best case scenario: he works his ass off to elevate UNT, upselling the Mean Green name, and bringing in the best recruits he can help get signed.

Worst case scenario: nepotism on steroids.  Just gives his HS buddy coaches the all the UNT offers to their second and third-tier players.

...just wondering if anyone has a read on how he is approaching his new position.

I would think his role will be more of fostering relationships and communication.   Offers are still going to be driven by the coaching staff.    His value will be as a very trusted source in the community.   If UNT wants X player and he's sitting in front of the parents, they'll value the offer a little more.   

• Upvote 2

Just now, Green with Envy said:

I would think his role will be more of fostering relationships and communication.   Offers are still going to be driven by the coaching staff.    His value will be as a very trusted source in the community.   If UNT wants X player and he's sitting in front of the parents, they'll value the offer a little more.   

There has been lengthy discussion previously about our past coaches, and their limited access to top-tier players.  My wish for these new off-field positions, especially Coach O, is that he builds us up as a top-tier choice for these top-tier players.  Gives our coaches access to more options, and more freedom to recruit top-level talent.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

That will not be the case.  Guy is one of the best to ever do it.  He will work to get the best players he can, because that’s what he’s being paid to do.  He’s been solid for me. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

He’s been getting kids offers and places to play and evaluating talent for 2 decades.  Many of whom had no offer and ended up being a D1 kid.  We can re visit this post in a few years and I bet our roster looks substantially better talent wise than it currently does

I think this is the concern that @greenminer has.   Turning those Tier 2 and 3 kids into UNT offers.  

What we want to happen, and I fully believe it will, is the D1 kid that has 5-6 D1 offers, chooses UNT.   I believe O brings that skillset to the table and I'm excited to watch him and the staff turn it into reality.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

I think this is the concern that @greenminer has.   Turning those Tier 2 and 3 kids into UNT offers.  

What we want to happen, and I fully believe it will, is the D1 kid that has 5-6 D1 offers, chooses UNT.   I believe O brings that skillset to the table and I'm excited to watch him and the staff turn it into reality.   

At this point I will be happy if we get the higher 3* players o start seriously considering us. I also think with his connections we will will have much better insights on players who might be underrated. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Mr Byrd seems to think highly of him

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, herewego said:

Announcing Jordan Davis as the OC is extremely underwhelming. Our DC doesn't appear to have deep connections if we are hiring grad assistants to coaching positions off rip.   

We were blazing until we threw water on the fire. We stepped back on in state recruiting 

• Downvote 4

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Second round of coaching announcements
1 hour ago, TalonsUp said:

We were blazing until we threw water on the fire. We stepped back on in state recruiting 

Its really about perception with the OC hire, having it leaked that Davis was the WR coach and not OC/WR coach first makes it look like we couldn't get who we wanted. If it was always Davis then it should of been leaked that way. To me it looks like we swung and missed and are in damage control for OC/OL. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3