Breaking: North Texas hires Iowa State Assistant Director of Player Personnel to coach Linebackers

TheReal_jayD

9 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This hire not only brings in a guy with a ton of experience in the defense we are trying to run. But he has also been very involved with Iowa States recruiting the last 4 seasons. 

I can easily see the recruiting involvement from the CV. But can you explain how he was involved in running that defense? Not trying to be snarky, I would love to see it, but looking at the cv it escapes me. Other than being at ISU at the same time as Caponi I need someone to enlighten me about how his role is involved in running the defense. I don't imagine an assistant director of player personnel breaking down film or teaching the intricacies of tackling, but maybe I am misunderstanding something about the role.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I don't look at this hire the same way I did Passwaters, he wasn't even a defensive coach, had a clear (family) connection to the DC and it was obvious that's why he was hired. Caponi is vouching for him because he believes in him not because he happens to be married to his daughter. 

Kratch worked with the Cyclone defense in 2017

Prior to his arrival in Ames, Kratch spent two years (2015-16) as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working primarily with the offensive line

Kratch was a two-year letterwinner at tight end for Toledo (2011-12) after competing two years of junior college football at North Dakota State College of Science from 2009-10.

Following graduation, Kratch was an offensive intern for the Rockets in 2014 and an offensive graduate assistant in 2013 for Matt Campbell’s staff.

Passwaters——-

Prior to joining UNT, Passwaters spent the 2020 season working as a quality control assistant on the offensive side of the ball at Hawai’I on Todd Graham’s staff.

Passwaters also has experience as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, New Mexico State, on offense (2018-19) and defense (2017). He helped the Aggies reach the 2017 Arizona Bowl, the program's first bowl game in 57 years. He also has stints at New Mexico Highlands (2016), Point Loma High School (2016), Onate High School (2013-15) and Gadsden High School (2012).

Passwaters played offensive line at New Mexico State from 2008-09

These dudes have IDENTICAL defensive experience prior to their hiring, one year as a grad assistant, thats it. 

So let me get this straight, you are comfortable with a guy who has a grand total of 3 year’s experience as a DC at the D3 level to vouch for a guy whose only on-field defensive experience is 1 year as a grad assistant but when a guy who has been a fbs DC for more than 24 years wants to vouch for his son-in-law with identical experience that is a bridge too far?

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This hire not only brings in a guy with a ton of experience in the defense we are trying to run. But he has also been very involved with Iowa States recruiting the last 4 seasons. 

One year as a GA in the system isn’t a ton— looks like a “we are running out of money” kinda hire. He has recruiting experience but this worries me about putting together a stout defensive staff. I hope he works out.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNT Family Man said:

One year as a GA in the system isn’t a ton— looks like a “we are running out of money” kinda hire. He has recruiting experience but this worries me about putting together a stout defensive staff. I hope he works out.

correct one year as a GA. Then was promoted to the assistant director of player personnel. He was one of the main guys responsible for bringing in the talent for one of the top defenses in the Big 12. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I think some of you get too caught up in "did he directly coach x or teach y?" I think support staff do a lot more X's and O's stuff than we actually think. These guys are exposed to and learn a lot about a lot aspects of the game. Clearly the coaching staff thinks Kratch can coach Linebackers. That's good enough for me. They want to win and be successful in this job. They're not just hiring Harry off the street who doesn't know what they're trying to do or who they don't think can get them there.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

54 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Kratch worked with the Cyclone defense in 2017

Prior to his arrival in Ames, Kratch spent two years (2015-16) as a graduate assistant at Michigan State, working primarily with the offensive line

Kratch was a two-year letterwinner at tight end for Toledo (2011-12) after competing two years of junior college football at North Dakota State College of Science from 2009-10.

Following graduation, Kratch was an offensive intern for the Rockets in 2014 and an offensive graduate assistant in 2013 for Matt Campbell’s staff.

Passwaters——-

Prior to joining UNT, Passwaters spent the 2020 season working as a quality control assistant on the offensive side of the ball at Hawai’I on Todd Graham’s staff.

Passwaters also has experience as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, New Mexico State, on offense (2018-19) and defense (2017). He helped the Aggies reach the 2017 Arizona Bowl, the program's first bowl game in 57 years. He also has stints at New Mexico Highlands (2016), Point Loma High School (2016), Onate High School (2013-15) and Gadsden High School (2012).

Passwaters played offensive line at New Mexico State from 2008-09

These dudes have IDENTICAL defensive experience prior to their hiring, one year as a grad assistant, thats it. 

So let me get this straight, you are comfortable with a guy who has a grand total of 3 year’s experience as a DC at the D3 level to vouch for a guy whose only on-field defensive experience is 1 year as a grad assistant but when a guy who has been a fbs DC for more than 24 years wants to vouch for his son-in-law with identical experience that is a bridge too far?

Fair point. But, yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. The Passwaters hire reeked of nepotism this one looks like the DC bringing someone he trusts with him who's familiar with the scheme. I never said it was a home run hire but I personally hated the Passwaters hire from day one I just don't look at this one the same way.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

correct one year as a GA. Then was promoted to the assistant director of player personnel. He was one of the main guys responsible for bringing in the talent for one of the top defenses in the Big 12. 

Can he coach the talent up is the issue with this hire, LB is exponentially more important in the new D system than say TE with an offensive minded HC. Seems like a stretch man. Player personnel from what I've seen is mostly scouting, setting visits, and maintaining touch with recruits but no actual coaching. These are amazing to have within the program and do work closely with on field staff but waiters bring chefs tickets not make the food themselves. I'm not saying its the wrong hire just concerning.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Correct— bring in talent doesn’t mean you can coach it— I hope That we see some veterans among the remaining hires. Need a little gray hair on the staff as well (which we have in the TE and STC)- defensive side of the ball. Salty Dline coach is what I’m thinking.

Edited by UNT Family Man
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT Family Man said:

Correct— bring in talent doesn’t mean you can coach it— I hope That we see some veterans among the remaining hires. Need a little gray hair on the staff as well (which we have in the TE and STC)- defensive side of the ball. Salty Dline coach is what I’m thinking.

Well now I’m hearing the dline coach is a first year grad assistant from Houston that played at smut. So we are falling fast on the defensive side. Holy cow 

• Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4