Logo Hierarchy?

54 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

“North Texas” is literally the only thing that has been in every name the school has ever had, from North Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute in 1890 all the way up to today’s University of North Texas.  

Yeah, exactly....and look where it's gotten us. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, keith said:

Yeah, exactly....and look where it's gotten us. 

Part of the problem is that "North Texas" is not always used as a proper noun. Many media outlets refer to us as "N Texas" without any retaliation from our athletics department. Call SMU "S Methodist" on ESPN and they will be hearing from the school immediately to get it corrected.

Hell, we haven't even notified ESPN to stop using the microscopic diving eagle with North Texas logo directly next to where our school is listed as North Texas. That's been going on for several seasons. Teensie Tiny Logo  Please SOMEBODY in the athletics department send them the regular sized diving eagle logo before next football season.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Part of the problem is that "North Texas" is not always used as a proper noun. Many media outlets refer to us as "N Texas" without any retaliation from our athletics department. Call SMU "S Methodist" on ESPN and they will be hearing from the school immediately to get it corrected.

Hell, we haven't even notified ESPN to stop using the microscopic diving eagle with North Texas logo directly next to where our school is listed as North Texas. That's been going on for several seasons. Teensie Tiny Logo  Please SOMEBODY in the athletics department send them the regular sized diving eagle logo before next football season.

What makes you think that's not the logo our administration wants used? I agree its an awful logo, but its one we've been pushing more and more. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

What makes you think that's not the logo our administration wants used? I agree its an awful logo, but its one we've been pushing more and more. 

ESPN only uses our logo when it is placed next to the name NORTH TEXAS. Why on Earth would we want UNT North Texas paired with an ultra-tiny diving eagle logo? It's even worse on phones. image.thumb.jpeg.3202102a8976442e1a252ed1bd963726.jpegAgain, it's pure laziness by our staff. You'd think that with 750 associate athletic directors, at least one would view ESPN and notice the issue. Everybody else has their school logo, we have a tiny green smudge with UNT next to North Texas.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

“North Texas” is literally the only thing that has been in every name the school has ever had, from North Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute in 1890 all the way up to today’s University of North Texas.  

I get it, new generations want to see new and “hip” changes.   But traditions, like facts, aren’t about your feelings.  

God, sometimes I hate being pedantic. 

Our original name was "Texas Normal College and Teachers training Institue". Which, since Normal College IS a teachers school the original school name was repetitive.

Our second name was North Texas Normal College

Our third name was the first use of "State" in the name. North Texas State Normal College.

North Texas has been the primary part of our name since almost the very beginning.  When you refer to our alma mater as "North Texas" everyone knows who you are talking about......everyone.

So IMHO, only two things should be used  "NORTH TEXAS" and the alumni NT logo.

Make your gear both simple and bold.  

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, DeepGreen said:

IMO, UNT should have dropped the regional designation of "North" and re-named the university to Texas State University.  Well, we sat around with our thumbs up our as$#$ and Southwest Texas State University did the right thing.  UNT is truly its own worst enemy.

Phil, I saw an explanation for that recently. "Texas State" is a system name, and North Texas never had a chance to ever use it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Green with Envy said:

I think part of the challenge comes in how easy it is to say one versus the other, as silly as that sounds.   All of the examples you listed as initials are very long names to pronounce, while their initials are very quick.   North Texas vs UNT is nearly a wash and North Texas doesn’t have to be followed by an explanation.  

Absolutely.

He says this “Every respectable directional school or elongated name uses acronyms. UCF, SMU, FAU, ECU, UTEP, USC, etc.” 

What he doesn’t consider is syllables.

Central Florida vs UCF. 5 vs 3

Southern Methodist vs SMU 5 vs 3

Florida Atlantic vs FAU 6 vs 3

East Carolina vs ECU 5 vs 3

Texas-El Paso vs UTEP 5 vs 3

Southern California vs USC 6/7 vs 3

The difference with us?

North Texas and UNT are both 3 syllables so why not use the more descriptive and historical term.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

41 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

IMO, UNT should have dropped the regional designation of "North" and re-named the university to Texas State University.  Well, we sat around with our thumbs up our as$#$ and Southwest Texas State University did the right thing.  UNT is truly its own worst enemy.

Seems there was no way the University of Texas was going to let that happen. They put up a fight to prevent just allowing us to drop the state part, I imagine it would’ve been much harder to drop the North.

https://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2015/06/22/name-change-unt/

Not only that, when we became the University of North Texas, East Texas State, West Texas State, and Southwest Texas State still existed with those names. By the time SWT became Texas State, we were UNT, and the other 2 were known as Texas A&M-Commerce and West Texas A&M.

Edited by Cr1028
Link
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Phil, I saw an explanation for that recently. "Texas State" is a system name, and North Texas never had a chance to ever use it.

NT tried to get the Texas State name and was blocked by the Texas legislature

Than years later, mysteriously SWT got the name.

It may have had to do with the various State University Systems, but I doubt it.

My guess it was more a timing issue, and UT didn't object to SWT when they applied as UT didn't perceive them as any kind of challenge. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I get it, new generations want to see new and “hip” changes.   But traditions, like facts, aren’t about your feelings.  

Facts? Like, UNT not being University of North Texas? I'm confused.

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Respectfully, screw that!  We are North Texas!  This is a gigantic state and the North Texas region is very large, very rich in talent and history.  We’ve struggled with winning which is why we have all these kinds of arguments, but I’m very proud to be a North Texas grad and that’s coming from a Central Texas boy.  The “directional” label never felt as much as it applies here since 1. It’s not two directions like “Southwest” etc and 2. Because of the respect the region garnishes across the state and beyond. Not having grown up in the Metroplex and no longer living there now, I don’t view it as a negative at all and no one in Centex ever seems to scoff at it either.

EDIT: I’d also add that SWT hasn’t done a damn thing as Texas State other than cheesy up their graphics and branding.  Respect their baseball, but they’re still floundering despite their new makeup.  

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Should we have also changed to the ARMADILLOS at the same time?

Texas State Armadillos Helmet - Necessary Roughness - Sticker | TeePublic

The Mean, the Green, the… Armadillos? | 125 Year Archival Retrospective

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, ADLER said:

It does exist for North Texas, but...

The athletics department treats that information much the same way a dog treats a fire hydrant.

image.thumb.jpeg.cf5fa0184a31c5c41334610442d404dc.jpegSchool colors as approved by North Texas Board of Regents

Our school colors are Green and White as selected by the student body in 1904. Since 2006 black is approved only as a tertiary color for outlining green or white logos and is only permitted for logos printed on monochromatic documents where green is not an option. Any deviation from this format is a violation of university policy.

Other schools strictly adhere to their university colors and their branding is immediately recognizable. We don't, and for the last decade we have wound up with a hodgepodge of colors and throwback logos. Basically, despite athletic success our branding has gone to shit in the last decade. Our university's identity is aligned with a color more than just about any school in the country yet we have allowed athletics staff and teams to continually utilize other colors not representative of our school simply because they're "fashionable" and "they personallly like them better".

This same sneaky little shit was previously done 1995-2005 by unofficially adding blue and copper as accent colors. Those colors were also equally horrible but they didn't spill into uniforms and fan gear the way gray and black have.

North Texas Mean Green Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG, brand

I hate that there are so many different greens out there. My question off of your point is how hard would it be to get a distinct green color to be used across the board. Lots of schools do it and yet here we are a school identified by a color and we haven’t established which shade of green to use. 

also I remember that logo. I hated it then and I hate it now. Love the post. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, keith said:

New coach, new era...time for a rebranding of our football program.  Using UCF as a model, I'd like to see us go with and use UNT over North Texas.  I know this is somewhat controversial, but I'm tired of seeing multiple representations (North Texas, N. Texas, North Tex., Nor. Texas or the worst No Texas in all the sports tickers) of our school. Talk about destroying your brand.  Yes, there are examples of universities that have been able to overcome their directional name, but to the great unwashed we are no different than Southern New Hampshire.  UCF has avoided it completely.  The younger generation usually refers to UNT as the school they go/went to.  We should embrace that.

While we are at it, we need to get rid of the awful eagle feathers helmet logo or any logo that utilizes an outline/map of the state.  Put a little Texas outline on the back or something, but not as part of the primary logo.  It reeks of desperation.

Agree with not using a Texas outline on uniforms. Hate it and unoriginal, when I say what school I went to I always say North Texas. I agree UNT flows better but outside of the DFW area no one knows that that is. 

• Upvote 2

Grey is an awful color for us and should be abolished, black should only be used sparingly ( maybe Halloween black out or the fcs game). Our merchandise is just awful and needs help. The Texas outline on the field and on merch is pretty ugly and plus Texas is in our name seems redundant. The NT interlocking logo is pretty ugly probably just outdated, flying worm and sow should be the only logos for sports purposes. I am in complete agreement on that green should be the color we wear the most, we are the MEAN GREEN after all. Also the uniforms from this past year are ok the feather texture was a cool idea just execution of it was meh. The basketball uniforms are awesome aside from the grey ones. They are simple, clean, and look good on camera.         

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Seems there was no way the University of Texas was going to let that happen. They put up a fight to prevent just allowing us to drop the state part, I imagine it would’ve been much harder to drop the North.

https://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2015/06/22/name-change-unt/

Not only that, when we became the University of North Texas, East Texas State, West Texas State, and Southwest Texas State still existed with those names. By the time SWT became Texas State, we were UNT, and the other 2 were known as Texas A&M-Commerce and West Texas A&M.

I remember reading somewhere that "Texas State" was reserved in case A&M wanted to change their name, like was done in some other states (OK, NM, maybe others).  That could have been the case in 1960, but by 1988, I doubt that was the case.

Personally, I think we should always be known as "North Texas" for athletics.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I hate that there are so many different greens out there. My question off of your point is how hard would it be to get a distinct green color to be used across the board. Lots of schools do it and yet here we are a school identified by a color and we haven’t established which shade of green to use. 

also I remember that logo. I hated it then and I hate it now. Love the post. 

We HAVE a correct green, Pantone 356. It's Kelly Green, also known as Irish Green, the exact same shade of Green that Nike uses for all Marshall and Oregon uniforms and staffing gear. (Our staff likes to pretend that Nike doesn't make it)

Neon Green is also approved for "alternate" uniform colors per documentation approved by our Board of Regents, brown, gray, lavender, and black are not.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1