How Recruiting is Evolving

We are all aware of NIL and how the game is really changing, good and/or bad. There are rumblings of NIL starting to pre-date the NCAAF scholarship limit set in the early 90s to what is 85. Allegedly, programs have or will soon start money whipping recruits to be walk-ons whereas some of that NIL money will be given to also allow the recruit to pay for their tuition. They will be able to maintain that "85" scholarship limit while stacking talent with NIL cash.

Regulation has to happen and it has to happen this off-season. Not on the timeline of want to be bureaucrats with their self inflicted red tape. 

Anyway, how's our recruiting going? 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We are all aware of NIL and how the game is really changing, good and/or bad. There are rumblings of NIL starting to pre-date the NCAAF scholarship limit set in the early 90s to what is 85. Allegedly, programs have or will soon start money whipping recruits to be walk-ons whereas some of that NIL money will be given to also allow the recruit to pay for their tuition. They will be able to maintain that "85" scholarship limit while stacking talent with NIL cash.

Regulation has to happen and it has to happen this off-season. Not on the timeline of want to be bureaucrats with their self inflicted red tape. 

There’s not a lot going on in recruiting as they are still finalizing the coaching hires.  Coach said he wanted to get his staff in place before anything gets serious on offers and visits etc. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If change happens it will have to come from successful schools with limited funds. Alabama , Auburn compared to Texas and Texas A&M funds is not even close. It is still too early to see the huge amount impact of NIL money. I believe the next big change will be to raise or not even have a scholarship limit or a staffing limit . I could also see scholarships go away, just pay me. 

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If change happens it will have to come from successful schools with limited funds. Alabama , Auburn compared to Texas and Texas A&M funds is not even close. It is still too early to see the huge amount impact of NIL money. I believe the next big change will be to raise or not even have a scholarship limit or a staffing limit . I could also see scholarships go away, just pay me. 

IMO, the NCAA is going to have to face the courts and fight this foolishness.

It is amazing to me, that the NCAA has mostly tried to create fair competition by limiting the number of coaches, players, and forbidding schools from paying players over the basic scholarship limits.  

Now, although the NIL is not technically part of the University benefits; it certainly is basically buying players. 

From what is rumored the NCAA is going the opposite direction, exploring adding a higher limit of coaches and even more scholarships.

Joe and Jill College are going to catch on and wonder why they are paying for their education while funding athletes that can make more playing college sports than they may in their career.  

Think of what this could mean to the so called non-revenue sports.  Can UNT softball and soccer remain great programs when their payroll is a fraction of the P5 schools. 

3 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

I think we land a 4 star. I think it would be through the portal, though. 4* coming out of high school then comes to us. All speculation. 

We've already had 4* HS recruits via the portal.  Ruder and Bush in our 2021 class were both 4* coming out of HS.  I mean a legitimate 4* HS recruit or recruits signing with us as an incoming freshman.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Who, the only 4 stars I remember NT ever signing were some juco lineman back when they were a lot looser with their recruit rankings. 

Dodge may have been 4 stars and of course Tony Mitchell was a 4 or 5 in basketball.

2 hours ago, keith said:

We've already had 4* HS recruits via the portal.  Ruder and Bush in our 2021 class were both 4* coming out of HS.  I mean a legitimate 4* HS recruit or recruits signing with us as an incoming freshman.

Plus Nick Harvey in 2019.