Breakdown of the Added Staff Resources for North Texas

TheReal_jayD

50 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Last year Not counting the three strength staff they had 10 assistants and 8 support staff.  

North Texas added $500k to assistant pool and $600k to support staff.  

Not sure how many new positions Eric will create, but guessing between 7-8 new support staff in recruiting, player development, ops, creative, etc. 

This will be huge for North Texas as they make the jump to the American Conference.

The different feel to this new regimen is genuinely exciting. Morris definitely has a plan and to see who Texas State is hiring it really shows why he would turn that down and come to UNT. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

41 minutes ago, herewego said:

The different feel to this new regimen is genuinely exciting. Morris definitely has a plan and to see who Texas State is hiring it really shows why he would turn that down and come to UNT. 

This is the first I heard that he turned that job down. Is this true?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Last year Not counting the three strength staff they had 10 assistants and 8 support staff.  

North Texas added $500k to assistant pool and $600k to support staff.  

Not sure how many new positions Eric will create, but guessing between 7-8 new support staff in recruiting, player development, ops, creative, etc. 

This will be huge for North Texas as they make the jump to the American Conference.

Because of the nature of recruiting and content development, I wouldn't be surprised if Morris stretches that money further and has a few extra part-time positions that work in shifts. Recruiting and social media posting isn't a 9 to 5 job. 

• Upvote 6

On 12/27/2022 at 5:55 PM, greenminer said:

Dickey set a foundation for Todge. Todge for McCarney. McCarney for SL.

Littrell was the epitome of an average coach.  Dodge was horrible, McCarney had various health issues.  

Yes, someone had to be coach before but just holding a job is not setting a foundation.  Did Shanice Stephens set a foundation for women's basketball or Dickey build up a solid football program?

Littrell was not a disaster, but to imply he build a solid foundation for the football program is at best problematic. He coached for a long time in football years at NT, however he did not elevate the program. 

Fry elevated the program, Blakeley elevated the program, McCasland certainly elevated the program as did Delong in softball.  Hedlund didn't elevate the program, he build it from nothing. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Littrell was the epitome of an average coach.  Dodge was horrible, McCarney had various health issues.  

Yes, someone had to be coach before but just holding a job is not setting a foundation.  Did Shanice Stephens set a foundation for women's basketball or Dickey build up a solid football program?

Littrell was not a disaster, but to imply he build a solid foundation for the football program is at best problematic. He coached for a long time in football years at NT, however he did not elevate the program. 

Fry elevated the program, Blakeley elevated the program, McCasland certainly elevated the program as did Delong in softball.  Hedlund didn't elevate the program, he build it from nothing. 

You're illustrating my point.  I was being somewhat sarcastic, and could have elaborated to make that more obvious.

I've been following this program long enough (not as long as you, GG!) to see people water down the idea of "laying a foundation."  It usually gets tossed around when there is new blood, and I suppose it's only natural.  With the new blood comes a renewed sense of excitement, and with this renewed excitement naturally comes a desire to be grateful. Seems like every time we can breathe a little with a new coach/commitment/era, some one wants to give thanks to something.  Not sure why, but it's there.

SL was not laying a foundation.  He had a better record than the previous coach.  We've had some coaches that bested their previous coach.  That doesn't mean they laid a foundation.  SL wasn't even the first coach we had with our increased budget/spending.  Todge was that, right? It was after we got rid of DD that the program said, "Okay, let's at least look like we're getting our act together."

I don't want to discredit SL.  I really, really wanted him to be the guy.  I don't like flash and pomp from my HC.  not necessary, IMO.  Just recruit and win games.  That's what will sell the program and grow your fanbase.

We can appreciate the things that SL did - such as giving us generational talent at a few positions.  Giving us a couple years that helped us heal to some degree from the end of the McCarney era.  But we can also acknowledge that he was a beneficiary.  He benefited from being one or two coaches into our renewed devotion to football from our administration.

I don't say "lay a foundation".  This sports program has been up and down since long before I was born.  I just look at things like, how much money are we spending right now? And, did we make a good hire?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/27/2022 at 11:24 AM, herewego said:

Texas State, what a low bar.   

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, shaft said:

He didn’t take the job, they aren’t our bar of comparison. The statement is he removed himself from consideration because they are not in the position to invest in their program like we are. We are above TSU-SM. I know you realize this and as soon as you get over your rash over SL being fired, the sooner you will realize this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, shaft said:

It wasn't meant to be a comparisons of universities, just a comparison between 2 job opportunities and why just the chance to interview with us was more appealing then to not hire your own standard of subordinates. Basically we are giving Morris everything within reason to propel the team where as state wasn't able to.     

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We can appreciate the things that SL did - such as giving us generational talent at a few positions.  Giving us a couple years that helped us heal to some degree from the end of the McCarney era.  But we can also acknowledge that he was a beneficiary.  He benefited from being one or two coaches into our renewed devotion to football from our administration.

Yes.  Seth was 9-5 then 9-4 his second and third seasons, but he couldn't maintain that or improve after Mason Fine left and several staff changes.   His teams then regressed and the lack of Championships and Bowl wins doomed him.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1