Don’t Criticize Unless You Donate!

2020 Sucks

Mosley needs to get the MGSF or whatever charity the AD wants to designate registered at smile.amazon.com and everyone that buys anything from Amazon needs to do it at smile and select the MGSF as your designated charity.  A portion of your purchase goes to the charity.  Easy money that's being left on the table.

• Upvote 5

This is going to cause a lot of downvotes, and that's fine by me.

I went to NTSU/UNT for many years and paid a LOT to get the degrees.  I put in my time at an empty Fouts field in the rain and cold and hot watching the Mean Green gets its head beaten in over and over.  

Quite frankly, the lack of athletic success by UNT over the last century, and especially the last 30 years, has devalued my degrees and has devalued the prestige of being a UNT graduate. 

"Where did you go to college?"

"North Texas"

"Where is that?"

You never get that reaction with A&M or Bama or Oregon.

If anyone has heard of North Texas : UNT is a great <blank> school -- unless it involves sportsball.  

I've put in my time and money.  Like most UNT alumni, I am waiting for the school to step up and be something to be proud of on Saturday.  If someone thinks that I have to throw a bit of cash at a program to have an opinion -- jump in a lake. 

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

How about we start the Gomeangreen club? Fellow posters of the board can start a fund. We all throw in a monthly fee. Pool the money together and have fun events. We could go to random bars and shoot the shit about the football team. Harry and co could have the podcast going. I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

Love this idea.  And for the record you can find my name in the MGSF listing.  

• Upvote 3

On 12/26/2022 at 12:26 PM, aztecskin said:

yeah we got a lot of small-minded, small-plans-having people here. But a lot of programs have that. The *main* difference here is that we don't have enough big time difference-makers here. 

Like, one billionaire from NT makes a big difference and makes all people who like to complain on the message-board even more irrelevant. 

I actually feel like we have a decent amount of big time donors that float the program. IMO, UNT's biggest problem is the total lack of mid to low level donors. Considering the amount of active alumni, there should be at least 10K people who donate between $5K-$300/year, but instead we probably only have a couple thousand. 

Schools with MUCH smaller alumni bases have done a lot better job cultivating these kind of donors. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

There are 15,000 members on this board. If we had a model where 10% of the board gave $25 a month to this "gomeangreen club", that's $450,000 a year. 

We could do something where we meet once a month during football season and once a quarter during the off-season. Maybe have random players/coaches/athletic department members speak to the group. With NIL, the players could get a small fee paid to them. Obviously, these are just ideas. 

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 6

23 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

There are 15,000 members on this board. If we had a model where 10% of the board gave $25 a month to this "gomeangreen club", that's $450,000 a year. 

We could do something where we meet once a month during football season and once a quarter during the off-season. Maybe have random players/coaches/athletic department members speak to the group. With NIL, the players could get a small fee paid to them. Obviously, these are just ideas. 

This is a fantastic idea and there could be some type pf badge on our profile indicating our donor status.  Need to come up with a good number of donation levels.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

It would be better to use the count of members who've logged in over the past year for this kind of napkin math.

Having a way to donate as part of GMG instead of MGSF would be pretty nice, as long as there wasn't a big skim off the top to support the moderators setting up their own White House of Fornication in Valley Ranch like the Irvin-era Cowboys.

Aw, hell. Who am I to deny them that?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, rcade said:

It would be better to use the count of members who've logged in over the past year for this kind of napkin math.

Having a way to donate as part of GMG instead of MGSF would be pretty nice, as long as there wasn't a big skim off the top to support the moderators setting up their own White House of Fornication in Valley Ranch like the Irvin-era Cowboys.

Aw, hell. Who am I to deny them that?

Just make this “white house” a perk of the highest giving level and problem solved with a win-win

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

How about we start the Gomeangreen club? Fellow posters of the board can start a fund. We all throw in a monthly fee. Pool the money together and have fun events. We could go to random bars and shoot the shit about the football team. Harry and co could have the podcast going. I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

In!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Great idea

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

I went to NTSU/UNT for many years and paid a LOT to get the degrees.  I put in my time at an empty Fouts field in the rain and cold and hot watching the Mean Green gets its head beaten in over and over.  

Quite frankly, the lack of athletic success by UNT over the last century, and especially the last 30 years, has devalued my degrees and has devalued the prestige of being a UNT graduate. 

"North Texas"

"Where is that?"

If anyone has heard of North Texas : UNT is a great <blank> school -- unless it involves sportsball.  

I've put in my time and money.  Like most UNT alumni, I am waiting for the school to step up and be something to be proud of on Saturday.  If someone thinks that I have to throw a bit of cash at a program to have an opinion -- jump in a lake. 

That's not devaluing the degree/degrees that's name recognition. If the interviewer doesn't know UNT then it might be because the college you graduated from isn't that renowned. As most people know, the university you go to might help get in the door but what you do once you're in is what matters, not the football team's record.  Do you think SMU's bad football teams are devaluing their degrees?

As for sitting in cold, rainy games in Fouts, your preaching to the choir on this board. That's what good fans do...regardless of record.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Great idea. The key is access over and above the standard fan. Observe a coaches meeting, have breakfast with a coach. All can be set up based on donation level as far as the level of access goes. As Dion had mentioned only 7% give back to their university make giving back something special with some cool perks.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Great idea. The key is access over and above the standard fan. Observe a coaches meeting, have breakfast with a coach. All can be set up based on donation level as far as the level of access goes. As Dion had mentioned only 7% give back to their university make giving back something special with some cool perks.

Agreed and lets make it easier and more uniform.  Too many different ways can be confusing.  And lets figure out a better way to recognize people who give consistently.  Give good recognition that can be worm proudly at game days.  Like the old Mean Green Club used to have a special shirt that was only available for certain donors.  Set a season ticket goal and have a big countdown clock or show it o the Apogee big screen.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

I'm reasonably sure it was Hayden fry, and when rick got here he got it going again.

Yes, it was Hayden Fry that originally started it in the mid 70"s, along with the new logo and nickname usage.  He made Bob Hope an honorary member, with MG hat, at a fundraiser at NT.  It's in the movie "Coach" about Hayden Fry taking the job in Denton.

Edited by NT80
  • Thanks 2

I will say this… if they did do a 40-50$ plate dinner just for a Saturday night of Morris doing a general QA with the podcast, that would be ideal… the AD office if smart could even have select “limited apparel” on show and I bring this up since multiple people have posted about wanting jackets, shirts etc.. have some rep there take down orders and sizes (if the stuff isn’t in a spare room in the belly of apogee which I know it is) and I’m sure you could make about a gameday worth of sales. 

make some money and it’s better deal for school than the garage sale they do at the spring games in the past 

• Upvote 4

On 12/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, TripleGrad said:

"North Texas"

"Where is that?"

Congratulations, Triple Grad!  I believe that you have broken the record for the most different responses to a posting.  (Eleven so far).  As for being known, we have more than 40,000 undergraduates; another 8,000 graduates; one of the better known lists of alumni; students from every state and many foreign countries; and more than 400,000 living alumni.  I assume that you mean that we are not known in the sports world.  It would be true that we are lesser known than 50-75 of the top college sports teams but I believe that's about to be temporary.

• Upvote 4

I once suggested that the Mean Green Club name be changed to Greenbackers.  For X dollars given you get a shirt that has UNT on the front and GreenBackers on the back.  Wear it every day that you are in Denton (or anywhere in the Metroplex) and it will pique the interest of others as to how they can get a shirt like that.  I was going to suggest that when you reached $200 in giving you bought the shirt but I spend more than that on food in a couple of weeks.  I'd suggest that the amount fluctuate with the economy.  Have officers that determine activities such as having a coach speak on his specialty or on recruiting, fund raising, socials, etc.  Meetings would not necessarily have to be monthly but that could be determined by the officers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I once suggested that the Mean Green Club name be changed to Greenbackers.  For X dollars given you get a shirt that has UNT on the front and GreenBackers on the back.  Wear it every day that you are in Denton (or anywhere in the Metroplex) and it will pique the interest of others as to how they can get a shirt like that.  I was going to suggest that when you reached $200 in giving you bought the shirt but I spend more than that on food in a couple of weeks.  I'd suggest that the amount fluctuate with the economy.  Have officers that determine activities such as having a coach speak on his specialty or on recruiting, fund raising, socials, etc.  Meetings would not necessarily have to be monthly but that could be determined by the officers.

excellent Idea, lets change the name again, just for fun.  And while we are at it, lets change the look of the eagle, the particular shade of pantone green that we are using now, and to hell with it, lets use a different shade of black.  Changing names every 5 to 8 years seems to be working for schools like Texas, Texas a&m and OU.  Hell I wouldn't even recognize their logos any more if I saw them.

And.....with all due respect Mr. GrayEagle, this rant has nothing to do with you, and everything to do with the history of bring someone in that gives 2 rat farts about any tradition that there is here, and just change things up because they think it is a good idea.  Meanwhile, I'm wearing a black pullover to the basketball game tonight because that's what I can find that looks nice.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

On 12/26/2022 at 6:20 PM, flyonthewall said:

This.  Guys come in that don't care anything about tradition.  "hey I got an idea, lets change the name of the Mean Green Club to MGSF"  I disliked it then and I dislike it now.  Instead of building on something, lets change the name, confuse people, and then not grow which is/was the intended consequence, and do so without asking any of your customers/stakeholders what they think.

It is my hope that in 2023 people will start examining the fundraising arm of the athletic department and apply some metrics and goals, then hold people accountable.

stadium naming rights........somebody other than lovelace/mcnatt....lets start here.

We get it. Anything different than what you and your boy RV did is dumb. I’ve been a member of both for over 20 years. Nothing changed but the name. I asked a mgsf member why the change one time. Part of the logic explained to me was many people had no idea where the money went and several out of town donors had no interest in being part of a club so changing the name made it more clear what was being supported. Made sense to me. If you live where you can’t buy season tickets, you probably don’t need to be a member of a “club” but supporting scholarships might be of interest. 

The name isn’t the damn issue. The issue is through a half dozen ADs and three decades we don’t have enough people that care. That’s pretty much the extent of it. Changing the name back would not bring any more money or donors and there wasn’t much history and tradition in MGC. Same program. Ballpark same number of donors. Actually brings in more money now than it use too.

if there’s so much valuable tradition in the MGC name use it for your collective. 

Edited by meangreenJW
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Do you have a link to a description of said movie? I have never heard of it.

First, a sidenote on the TV show, also titled "Coach":  

A television sitcom, Coach, aired for nine seasons on ABC from 1989-1997. The series starred Craig T. Nelson as Hayden Fox, head football coach of the fictional Minnesota State University Screaming Eagles. The show's creator and producer, Barry Kemp, a University of Iowa alumnus, named the main character Hayden Fox as a tribute to Fry.

.................................................................................................................................

Here is the 30 min short film/video (some static and a little grainy) titled "Coach"...

This video focuses on the career of Hayden Fry, football coach at North Texas State University (NTSU), as he prepares for a game against Southern Methodist University (SMU). The film includes footage of Fry at home, interviews with NTSU president Calvin Cleave "Jitter" Nolan on the campus of NTSU, pep rallies, and scenes of the football game with SMU at Texas Stadium.

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1040494/m1/

• Upvote 1