Don’t Criticize Unless You Donate!

2020 Sucks

12 hours ago, drex said:

It would be interesting to see the stats on the members of this board who donate and who buy football/basketball season tickets...it would probably be frightening. 

Often thought this, that we voluntarily put in our nameplate what we donate to the program each year on tickets, MGSF, etc. I'd be the first to admit my number isn't as high as I'd like it to be, or even as high as its been in the past.

My biggest giving years were during the five-year period where I paid for the continued right to buy club seats but that was also when I made good on my commitment to give more when a new stadium was built..

But by identifying donation levels, it would add context to the posts complaining about the Athletic Department not spending enough money on a particular coach, or marketing, or a program, etc.

Not much of a fan of Mr. Sanders style but he got it right on this one.

GMG

• Upvote 5

You know, this is UNT forgodsakes.  To provide a little historical context, I first uttered my "wrinkled $100 bill" analogy about North Texas students, and their penchant for bitchin, BEFORE Hayden Fry arrived and started/introduced the concept of giving/donating to the athletic department. As you should know by now, giving back to the University and the Athletic department was discouraged/forbidden before Jitter Nolan and Hayden Fry's arrival. The Mean Green Club was started about 1973 and the UNT endowment fund did not get created/started until 1974. That's why our endowment, as of 2020 was 217.8 million, and Texas State's (founded in 1899) is 342 million as of 2022.

Bitching and moaning about any sort of inconvenience was a North Texas student tradition long before fund raising got started.

Having said all that I would add a subtitle to this thread. " And don't donate just so you can criticize/complain".

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

yeah we got a lot of small-minded, small-plans-having people here. But a lot of programs have that. The *main* difference here is that we don't have enough big time difference-makers here. 

Like, one billionaire from NT makes a big difference and makes all people who like to complain on the message-board even more irrelevant. 

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

55 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You know, this is UNT forgodsakes.  To provide a little historical context, I first uttered my "wrinkled $100 bill" analogy about North Texas students, and their penchant for bitchin, BEFORE Hayden Fry arrived and started/introduced the concept of giving/donating to the athletic department. As you should know by now, giving back to the University and the Athletic department was discouraged/forbidden before Jitter Nolan and Hayden Fry's arrival. The Mean Green Club was started about 1973 and the UNT endowment fund did not get created/started until 1974. That's why our endowment, as of 2020 was 217.8 million, and Texas State's (founded in 1899) is 342 million as of 2022.

Bitching and moaning about any sort of inconvenience was a North Texas student tradition long before fund raising got started.

Having said all that I would add a subtitle to this thread. " And don't donate just so you can criticize/complain".

I would like to see The Mean Green Club become a thing again within the Athletic Department.  It was donors but also had a social aspect to it.  Wren changed it to the MGSF and we lost another part of our history because of it.  Keep the MGSF too if needed but The MGC needs to return!

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

To provide a little historical context, I first uttered my "wrinkled $100 bill" analogy about North Texas students, and their penchant for bitchin, BEFORE Hayden Fry arrived and started/introduced the concept of giving/donating to the athletic department

That was the inspiration for my profile picture, SE. Thanks!

GMG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I would like to see The Mean Green Club become a thing again within the Athletic Department.  It was donors but also had a social aspect to it.  Wren changed it to the MGSF and we lost another part of our history because of it.  Keep the MGSF too if needed but The MGC needs to return!

The Mean green Club changed to the MGSF because of the change in tax laws, Not because Wren did anything. You cannot take tax exemptions on certain donations like to the MGC, but you can for scholarships…MGSF.  Or some such change to the tax code. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

17 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I am stepping up.  I just wish there was a designated fund for the AC

I wish that they did this and I think you would have more donors if little things like this were done.

I also think you could attract donors (even people who may $40-50) for a Saturday night dinner up at Apogee just to hear Morris, his staff talk scheme, recruiting, etc…

I have long thought AD office should embrace this and even do offer to let the GMG pod come up and do shows live (if they were up for it). 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The Mean green Club changed to the MGSF because of the change in tax laws, Not because Wren did anything. You cannot take tax exemptions on certain donations like to the MGC, but you can for scholarships…MGSF.  Or some such change to the tax code. 

Not exactly true.  But like I said, keep the MGSF name for people that want to donate to scholarships.  However, have other giving programs for some that want to donate to specific projects or to other things than scholarships.  It can all be under the Mean Green Club name...

Smut has the Mustang Club umbrella for Annual Fund (scholarships), Capital Projects, Operational Funds, Sport-specific giving, etc.  

https://smumustangs.evenue.net/www/ev_smu-athletics/ss/ev/Donate?xd_co_f=M2JlYTZlMzQtMmFhNi00NWJjLWFiNjAtYWI4YjRmZmRhZmQw&linkID=smu-athletics&siteId=ev_smu-athletics

Mustang Club Donors

Thank you for supporting our 484 student-athletes as they strive for success in the classroom and in competition. We appreciate your support in helping our mission for Shaping Champions! 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Yes!  I always felt like I was a part of something with the MGC.  Surely, tax laws don't dictate what you call your donation program.  Change it back.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

How about we start the Gomeangreen club? Fellow posters of the board can start a fund. We all throw in a monthly fee. Pool the money together and have fun events. We could go to random bars and shoot the shit about the football team. Harry and co could have the podcast going. I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

How about we start the Gomeangreen club? Fellow posters of the board can start a fund. We all throw in a monthly fee. Pool the money together and have fun events. We could go to random bars and shoot the shit about the football team. Harry and co could have the podcast going. I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

That’s the kind of individual ownership we need!  Good job!  I’m in. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I am down with this idea. I would be willing to help put it all together.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

This.  Guys come in that don't care anything about tradition.  "hey I got an idea, lets change the name of the Mean Green Club to MGSF"  I disliked it then and I dislike

it now.  Instead of building on something, lets change the name, confuse people, and then not grow which is/was the intended consequence, and do so without asking any of your customers/stakeholders what they think.

It is my hope that in 2023 people will start examining the fundraising arm of the athletic department and apply some metrics and goals, then hold people accountable.

stadium naming rights........somebody other than lovelace/mcnatt....lets start here.

This. I’m pretty sure the Mean Green Club was just a name that belonged to UNT and wasn’t a separate entity anyway. I don’t think the change in names had anything to do with tax laws or anything. It was just a preference of AD staff to use a new name.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I would like to get in on this as well… just to add another idea to this as well…

have the event/events held at DFW area mean green alumni businesses. I would also like to think at said events you could see us (if that’s a fair term to use) do some donations that could be used donated for specific projects/programs 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

This. I’m pretty sure the Mean Green Club was just a name that belonged to UNT and wasn’t a separate entity anyway. I don’t think the change in names had anything to do with tax laws or anything. It was just a preference of AD staff to use a new name.

The Mean Green Club was definitely a University sponsored entity for Athletics donors, at least two separate times.  It was also a social fan group a couple times in the past, and probably the birthplace of GMG.com. 

• Thanks 1