Transfer TE expected to visit Hogs

meangreenfaninno

Arkansas is expected to host tight end transfer Jake Roberts for an official visit on Jan. 4. 

Roberts, 6-5 and 250 pounds, announced plans to transfer from North Texas and enter the portal on Dec. 20. He has since received offers from Arkansas, California, Baylor, SMU, Nebraska, Indiana, Oregon State, Rutgers, Tennessee and others. 

He was a consensus 3-star prospect in the 2020 class coming out of Norman (Okla.) North High School. He chose the Mean Green over offers from Air Force, Colorado, Eastern Michigan, Memphis, Tulsa and Missouri State.

Roberts is humbled that he has received so many offers since announcing his transfer. 

“It’s been crazy," he said. "It’s one of those things, I thought I would get some interest but to have the level I have right now, it’s pretty cool. I didn’t have that coming out of high school. I’m bless to be where I’m at and have to make a really hard decision. I know I’ll make the right one.” 

He had 28 catches for 394 yards and 3 touchdowns this season. He had 43 receptions for 542 yards and 3 touchdowns during his career at North Texas. 

Because he announced his transfer during the dead period, Roberts will have to wait to travel to schools during the Jan. 4-8 window when transfers can officially visit schools. 

“The timeline is so much shorter,” said Roberts, who has two years of eligibility remaining. “Only a couple of weeks timeline now. It’s lot different than it was coming out of high school."

Roberts’ recruitment will be hurried this time around, so now he’s in relationship-building mode. 

“I’m just trying to build relationships with these coaches over the phone, and another thing that makes it hard is the inability to visit right,” he said. “If I was able to get on campus, I believe it would make it a little easier but we just have the visit window from the 4th to the 8th is have to try and decide which schools I’m going to see and make a decision based on that.” 

He said he’ll likely limit each visit to one day per school. 

“I think four or five (visits). With my location, I’m within driving distances to some places like Arkansas and SMU,” Roberts said. “It would be tough. I’m going to try.” 

read more: https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2022/dec/23/transfer-te-expected-to-visit-hogs/

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

I wish him the best. It would be depressing if a guy who was as good as him at UNT wouldn't get any interest. That said: Arkansas doesn't strike me as a program going in the right direction. I mean, I am sure they have a good tight end use, but my expectations are that they are gonna struggle to go bowling the next 2 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

It’s hard to imagine Eric encouraged him to leave despite the scheme.  He’s a great asset.  Either way, I hope he doesn’t wind up at Arkansas.  He’d get to live the SEC life, sure.  But they’re not gonna do anything great there and I want him to go somewhere to win. 

• Upvote 1

@TheReal_jayD is right, people. You would never encourage one of your better players to leave. Relationships matter and in this short window — they TE situation at the school matters. He will take a hard look at both Cal and Tenn. but does he feel those places offer the best shot at playing and the NFL. And NIL $$$$$

Edited by UNT Family Man
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

It’s hard to imagine Eric encouraged him to leave despite the scheme.  He’s a great asset.  Either way, I hope he doesn’t wind up at Arkansas.  He’d get to live the SEC life, sure.  But they’re not gonna do anything great there and I want him to go somewhere to win. 

He’d already be pretty familiar with the offense at Arkansas.  Seems like it might be a good fit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Anywhere but SMU.  

And I can’t help but notice the “I didn’t have this kind of interest coming out of high school” comment.   Hmm, I wonder who DID show you interest…North Texas maybe?  

If High School coaches are upset because the portal is hurting HS recruits then please understand (and before some of you jump in with "why shouldn't"; I'm not saying that they are wrong)this is why more and more G5s are going the transfer portal route. If the NCAA, or whatever replaces it, does not fix this system then it's only going to get worse.

I like what coach Leach proposed. Coming out of high school players choose between being professional or college athletes. Those who choose college go through the recruiting process and choose their school. Those who want to be professional college athletes put their name in a draft and they could be drafted by any school in FBS, and have a salary structure. 

I will also add that while I don't think college athletes should have to pay back to schools they left I believe the NCAA should have a fund where schools are reimbursed for the time they trained athlete before they move on.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You know, I could see this level of comment if the player in question got on the board and said "hey guys! I'm thinking about entering the portal. Do any of you have any thoughts on the idea?"

Good luck to you Mr. Roberts. Be sure and get your degree.

As I said I wish him well with the exception of if he transfers to SMU or UTSA. People may not agree, but if he goes to one of those two schools I don't wish him bad luck, but I also don't wish him good luck.