Aune Enters the Portal

El Paso Eagle

Just now, peanuts104 said:

Tell me I'm wrong, frendo.javier bardem murder GIF

See my above posts. 

I don’t think Aune was completely to blame. As I mentioned the coaches didn’t develop him or replace him with someone better. Also they relied heavily on a game plan that required the QB to be accurate without an accurate QB. On the flip side, opponents gave him single coverage and he still missed open WRs in the l majority of situations when we needed a completion early in games. Hence the 1 minute drives that led to our defense getting worn out. And not that I didn’t love the quick scores but they also paid a toll on our D. But we struggled with methodical drives and often relied on the deep ball, which seemed to be an all or nothing approach, or receivers breaking short passes to score.  I don’t have the stats in front of me but our red zone and short yardage seemed weak again.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yea I’m sure Rico Bussey had nothing to do with the last play of “the drive”. Shitty circumstances like 3 NFL wide receivers and a NFL running back? 

Also, the difference between “the drive” and what happened this past October was 1 minute and 21 seconds. Aune led his team to score on their final drive but UTSA got the ball last and scored. Aune and the offense never got the ball back.

First, clock management isn't Aune's fault in the first UTSA game this season.

Second, saying any other qb could have done what Fine did in The Drive is crazy.  You have to be functionally deficient to think any other qb could have done that. Sure, Bussey caught and ran a damn good route (probably off schedule) to win the game. Yeah, that's great. But Fine got lit up staying in the pocket to get it to Bussey. And that wasn't even the entire Drive.

Your stupid defense of Aune is beyond dumb. Just go to bed.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

55 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

See my above posts. 

I don’t think Aune was completely to blame. As I mentioned the coaches didn’t develop him or replace him with someone better. Also they relied heavily on a game plan that required the QB to be accurate without an accurate QB. On the flip side, opponents gave him single coverage and he still missed open WRs in the l majority of situations when we needed a completion early in games. Hence the 1 minute drives that led to our defense getting worn out. And not that I didn’t love the quick scores but they also paid a toll on our D. But we struggled with methodical drives and often relied on the deep ball, which seemed to be an all or nothing approach, or receivers breaking short passes to score.  I don’t have the stats in front of me but our red zone and short yardage seemed weak again.

Agreed with everything in here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Aune does make some nonsensical throws, everyone agrees on that.

One thing you can’t ignore is that during his 4 year career Mason Fine’s very best QBR was 56.8 in 2018. Austin Aune had a 68.4 this season which just happened to be higher than Grayson McCall’s 67.7, Austin Reed’s 66.2, Quinn Ewers 65.6, Will Rogers 63.3, and Cam Ward’s 60.4. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

Yes watching some of the nonsensical interceptions is maddening but the man is nowhere near as bad a quarterback as some make him out to be.

And thus, why QBR is BS.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I quoted it dumbass.

Edit: that's not fair, let me explain. When I classify a qb as a "gamer", they win unconventionally. Aune LOST unconventionally. He's not a "gamer" qb. He's just bad at decision making.

First you have a strange definition of gamer.  A gamer to me at least is someone who puts all his effort into winning the game.

Second you calling anyone a dumbass, kind of proves: who is what.  

• Upvote 3

Aune’s experience alone will get him a spot with a major P5. The old man got the majority of snaps at UNT for 3 seasons. That is incrediblely valuable. Even Alabama would want that type of experience on the roster as a 3rd string QB. 

Aune’s Twitter account is about to be posting offers from the biggest programs in college football. 

Now, am I super pumped to watch anyone other than Austin Aune QB’ing UNT next season? Hell yes. 

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Aune’s experience alone will get him a spot with a major P5. The old man got the majority of snaps at UNT for 3 seasons. That is incrediblely valuable. Even Alabama would want that type of experience on the roster as a 3rd string QB. 

Aune’s Twitter account is about to be posting offers from the biggest programs in college football. 

Now, am I super pumped to watch anyone other than Austin Aune QB’ing UNT next season? Hell yes. 

If he gets a P5 starter offer it will be for a team as trashy as us. I would not offer a collegiate scholarship for. 30 year old.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

If he gets a P5 starter offer it will be for a team as trashy as us. I would not offer a collegiate scholarship for. 30 year old.

His age is irrelevant and actually works in his favor as teams will assume he has the maturity to handle a backup role.

All that matters is he has three years of starting experience at a high level and one year of eligibility left.

Proof that you are a semi-competent college football player is enough to justify scholarship offers (as depth) at the biggest of programs. Even freaking Jake Roberts is getting offers from blue bloods.

Just wait and see what kind of offers Aune gets. They will blow your mind. 

(I suspect Aune wants to land at TCU. It is where he wanted to go in the first place, he can keep his house, they are losing their QB, Seth might end up there too) 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GOMeanGO said:

Aune wasn’t even better than Gunnell. Gunnell just never got a fair shaker neither did Head or Earle.  SL lost his job for remaining the status quo and not taking risks. We knew 3 years ago Aune was not it and we failed to even try to unseat him. He was abysmal in games we needed him to show up in, and great in games we didn’t need him to show up in. Kudos to Coach Morris for ripping off the Band Aid!  Outside of Busse and Guyton, Aune had the same people to throw to as Fine with a far better offensive line. Fine was running for his life 1/2 of the snaps.  Wish the guy the best! Thank you for all you did! We need to move and glad you are doing the same! 

Yikes.  I’ve read some bad takes on here.

This is one of them.

Gunnell got out there for a long time & he was hobbling around like a peg-legged pirate.   His arm might still be lively, but if he can’t move, he’s useless.

• Upvote 3

Aune wasn’t a terrible QB.  I watched enough college football this year to say that he was about average.  I think the bowl game was a great summary of his career.  He had two absolutely terrible passes that resulted in interceptions.  Other than those two passes, he wasn’t bad…not great, but not bad.  

It seemed like he could be playing pretty well at times and just make the most awful pass or most awful decision.  

He represented the school well and by all indications he was a great teammate and team leader.  I don’t see the need to disparage him on his way out.  I thank him for his years here and wish him well in the future.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Aune wasn’t a terrible QB.  I watched enough college football this year to say that he was about average.  I think the bowl game was a great summary of his career.  He had two absolutely terrible passes that resulted in interceptions.  Other than those two passes, he wasn’t bad…not great, but not bad.  

It seemed like he could be playing pretty well at times and just make the most awful pass or most awful decision.  

He represented the school well and by all indications he was a great teammate and team leader.  I don’t see the need to disparage him on his way out.  I thank him for his years here and wish him well in the future.

Agree, there is a differnce between performance and character.  I never heard anything that led me to think that he did anything to disrespect himself, his team or the school.  There is no reason to trash someone who has been nothing but a class act despite all the flack he received from some fans.  He handled himself better than some of his detractors.

Good luck, Austin.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, NT93 said:

His average play just became a lightening rod here.  He is just an average QB playing with above average offensive talent and a below average defense.  One thing is for certain; he doesn't elevate team performance.  He was our Kirk Cousins.  I hope he makes decision with an eye on coaching if he really plans to continue a career in football.   A decade from now with his unique experience to this point and working in a college athletic department from 2024 on,  I could see him as an AD at DII.  What degrees has he earned to this point?  That would give us a better insight on his realistic future plans.  His athletic prime is near its end.  

On 12/21/2022 at 7:36 PM, GMG24 said:

Hey @Andrew  So he enters the portal yesterday... and before today is over (probably getting more offers as I type this) He has posted offers in order, Cal, Baylor, SMU, Nebraska, Arkansas, Indiana, Oregon State, Rutgers, Nevada, La Tech, TX State (1 hour ago) new staff trying to swing and connect.   So much for your Tarleton St., evaluation... also I hope he comes back but I don't think he's the type of TE/H we'll see Morris use.  

The above comment is about only ONE of the weapons Aune had at his disposal this year.   Does anyone think that coaching staffs around the country needing a QB aren't taking into account the talent Aune played with?  How many times did Aune miss or not even throw to a wide open Jake Roberts?   How many times did he get great running support and not be able to extend critical drives?  I don't believe the "would trade rosters with UNT" quotes we have seen were just coach speak.   Nobody is saying that about most of the FBS teams that fired their coaches this season.   If Seth goes to Mississippi State we will get an accurate picture of Seth as an offensive mind.   I still don't understand why he stayed with Aune all year.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Danish43 said:

Heck maybe he has a good financial advisor who has put that million into great investments. 

I believe it was $1.2 mil per year for his six years with the Yankees. His portfolio has probably doubled, if not tripled, since the 2012-2017 baseball seasons.

Either way, the man has had an outstanding football career with another collegiate chapter still to come. He is already the oldest non-kicker to ever score in FBS football. It's an amazing story. I'd love to see him transfer and play a bit role on a national championship team.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I believe it was $1.2 mil per year for his six years with the Yankees. His portfolio has probably doubled, if not tripled, since the 2012-2017 baseball seasons.

Either way, the man has had an outstanding football career with another collegiate chapter still to come. He is already the oldest non-kicker to ever score in FBS football. It's an amazing story. I'd love to see him transfer and play a bit role on a national championship team.

Lol bama, Georgia,  Ohio state, Michigan,  tcu's aren't going to want this dude

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yikes.  I’ve read some bad takes on here.

This is one of them.

Gunnell got out there for a long time & he was hobbling around like a peg-legged pirate.   His arm might still be lively, but if he can’t move, he’s useless.

Nothing but praise for Aune, he played to the best of his abilities; but was highly inconsistent.

Now, unless I missed it:  Gunnell played less than 10 minutes all year.   So I think you are more than harsh in your assessment of his abilities.   Gunnell is 6'6 and actually started at Arizona, it is beyond me why he only got into 2 games and threw I think 1 pass.  

The assumption is and it is logical that if Littrell had a better QB; he would play him.    However, Littrell had a very peculiar QB coaching style, he rarely substituted unless for injuries.  Not in blowouts, not when Aune was having awful results, frankly only in a run package that was too seldom used and very limited with Earle at QB.