Aune Enters the Portal

El Paso Eagle

3 hours ago, Quoner said:

Now do Aune before facing the 124th ranked defense in college football. 

Well SMUt was worse than us in PPG and he threw 2 INTs in that game. So was FIU (2 INTs including a pick six). As was LaTech, who still managed an INT. In fact, the only team with a worse defense than us that didn’t get a pick against Aune was Rice, an astounding feat. So I assume his expression before any game is:

Reaction GIF

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

So why couldn’t our all-time single season passing touchdown leading quarterback improve with better quarterback coaching? 

I mean seriously, once he started playing here he had the fine tutelage of Bodie Reeder, Quinn Shanbour, Blake Joseph, Cole Johnson, and Mike Bloesch. That isn’t exactly a whose who of legendary quarterback coaches.

Imagine what he could do with Brophy though. 🙂

• Upvote 2

I have no idea why anyone would trash Aune.  He was a gamer and gave his all to NT.  Littrell made him the starter and whether that was a bad decision or a lack of better QB's, we will never know.  

QB's get the glory and often the blame.  NT was not a QB away from a very good team, they lacked IMO coaching and enough difference maker players. 

Littrell was exactly a .500 coach, nether awful or particularly noteworthy.  I hope he has a lot of success in his future, but IMO it would have taken a truly great QB to elevate his NT program. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

I love how every 35+ year old dude here who also is definitely in multiple rec softball/basketball/pickleball leagues and will talk to anyone who will listen about how great they were in 3A high school athletics is making fun of Aune for stretching out his competitive athletic career as a 30 year old, after making a cool mil to play professional baseball.      

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I have no idea why anyone would trash Aune.  He was a gamer and gave his all to NT.  Littrell made him the starter and whether that was a bad decision or a lack of better QB's, we will never know.  

QB's get the glory and often the blame.  NT was not a QB away from a very good team, they lacked IMO coaching and enough difference maker players. 

Littrell was exactly a .500 coach, nether awful or particularly noteworthy.  I hope he has a lot of success in his future, but IMO it would have taken a truly great QB to elevate his NT program. 

No, I can’t completely agree with this at all. His career completion percentage was 54.5. I agree that his coaching was lacking but Fine’s was 62.8 and his TD-INT ratio was almost 3-1. Thankfully Aune finally got his to 2-1 but how many pick sixes did he throw only this season? Four? Five? Two alone in the Memphis game, which was the difference. So an only above average QB would have won a couple more games just this year. 

So chicken or the egg in this situation, right? He clearly needed a competent, non-high-school-girl-seducing QB coach. I think we all mostly believed Shanbour could provide that as he was always praised by Fine for his ability to provide guidance. But even with the best QB coach in the world there would have been some limitations to Aune’s ceiling. And again that comes back to the OC and HC’s inability to identify and develop QBs. 
So ultimately I do agree that this was a coaching failure, but Aune deserves plenty of criticism. If you look at his bowl game INTs, they look like freshman Fine mistakes, not a 30 year old with three years experience. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Guys, this trashing of Aune is getting old and should stop.  Put the blame where it is truly deserved.  Seth Littrell.

The best part is doing it while pretending he was the only problem and Bennett had a competent defense. In the second half of our 7 losses, we gave up 181 points. One pick six came down 24 in the fourth to UNLV and Memphis had the well-documented two awful ones, so we can round that down to “just” 160. We also forced 12 second half punts in all of those losses combined.

It was brutal on all sides, but pinning it all on one dude like this is absurd. Glad and relieved this season and era is over, but why shit on someone this hard and why just him? Is it because Aune doesn’t wear shorts and give cool soundbites about his wife cucking him if he doesn’t retire? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

No, I can’t completely agree with this at all. His career completion percentage was 54.5. I agree that his coaching was lacking but Fine’s was 62.8 and his TD-INT ratio was almost 3-1. Thankfully Aune finally got his to 2-1 but how many pick sixes did he throw only this season? Four? Five? Two alone in the Memphis game, which was the difference. So an only above average QB would have won a couple more games just this year. 

So chicken or the egg in this situation, right? He clearly needed a competent, non-high-school-girl-seducing QB coach. I think we all mostly believed Shanbour could provide that as he was always praised by Fine for his ability to provide guidance. But even with the best QB coach in the world there would have been some limitations to Aune’s ceiling. And again that comes back to the OC and HC’s inability to identify and develop QBs. 
So ultimately I do agree that this was a coaching failure, but Aune deserves plenty of criticism. If you look at his bowl game INTs, they look like freshman Fine mistakes, not a 30 year old with three years experience. 

Agree with what? Where did I said Aune was a great QB.  I also did not state he needed a better QB coach. 

What I said was that he was a gamer and gave all he could to the program.  Has nothing to do with how good or bad, he was.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

25 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Agree with what? Where did I said Aune was a great QB.  I also did not state he needed a better QB coach. 

What I said was that he was a gamer and gave all he could to the program.  Has nothing to do with how good or bad, he was.  

If you actually think Aune is salvageable at this point and not completely destroyed by incompetent QB coaching, you are delusional.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, GrandGreen said:

OK, what do you think I stated that was wrong?

I quoted it dumbass.

Edit: that's not fair, let me explain. When I classify a qb as a "gamer", they win unconventionally. Aune LOST unconventionally. He's not a "gamer" qb. He's just bad at decision making.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I quoted it dumbass.

Edit: that's not fair, let me explain. When I classify a qb as a "gamer", they win unconventionally. Aune LOST unconventionally. He's not a "gamer" qb. He's just bad at decision making.

Aune does make some nonsensical throws, everyone agrees on that.

One thing you can’t ignore is that during his 4 year career Mason Fine’s very best QBR was 56.8 in 2018. Austin Aune had a 68.4 this season which just happened to be higher than Grayson McCall’s 67.7, Austin Reed’s 66.2, Quinn Ewers 65.6, Will Rogers 63.3, and Cam Ward’s 60.4. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

Yes watching some of the nonsensical interceptions is maddening but the man is nowhere near as bad a quarterback as some make him out to be.

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Aune does make some nonsensical throws, everyone agrees on that.

One thing you can’t ignore is that during his 4 year career Mason Fine’s very best QBR was 56.8 in 2018. Austin Aune had a 68.4 this season which just happened to be higher than Grayson McCall’s 67.7, Austin Reed’s 66.2, Quinn Ewers 65.6, Will Rogers 63.3, and Cam Ward’s 60.4. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

Yes watching some of the nonsensical interceptions is maddening but the man is nowhere near as bad a quarterback as some make him out to be.

QBR is bullshit and Fine won us games we should have lost (like The Drive). That's the difference. Fine won despite the shitty circumstances despite the shitty line. Aune LOST despite good circumstances and despite a good line. douchebag off you douchebaging dumb Aune apologist. I hope he plagues another team shortly.

Yall know im right.

Edited by peanuts104
Downvote the Truth
  • Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Judging by his comments last year and the fact that he has purchased a house, it seems likely he has. Also when you consider 1 mil after taxes is more like $650K, and that was 10 years ago.

Billy, he may had put that $650,000 in Apple stock a decade ago and since then returned 540%. Just saying.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/07/apple-how-much-money-youd-have-if-you-invested-1000-dollars-in-2012.html

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

QBR is bullshit and Fine won us games we should have lost (like The Drive). That's the difference. Fine won despite the shitty circumstances despite the shitty line. Aune LOST despite good circumstances and despite a good line. douchebag off you douchebaging dumb Aune apologist. I hope he plagues another team shortly.

Yall know im right.

ron burgundy GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4