Breaking: Iowa States Matt Caponi New Mean Green DC

TheReal_jayD

19 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

He has definitely been part of some solid defenses in the P5 ranks. 

I was curious about his track record as a DC at Washington & Jefferson. I don't know anything about the competition, but aside from a couple of blowouts, the points scored against them seems very respectable after a quick glance.

DATE OPPONENT RESULT W-L
Tue, Sep 6 @Oberlin W49-35 1-0
Tue, Sep 13 vs Frostburg State W49-21 2-0
Tue, Sep 20 @Thiel College W34-24 3-0
Tue, Sep 27 vs Grove City College W49-21 4-0
Tue, Oct 4 @Geneva College W43-14 5-0
Tue, Oct 18 vs St. Vincent W72-20 6-0
Tue, Oct 25 vs Westminster PA W34-7 7-0
Tue, Nov 1 @Thomas More L35-29 7-1
Tue, Nov 8 vs Bethany (WV) W54-7 8-1
Tue, Nov 15 @Waynesburg W42-9 9-1
Tue, Nov 22 vs Christopher Newport W35-29 10-1
Tue, Nov 29 @Millsaps W35-20 11-1
Tue, Dec 6 @Mary Hardin-Baylor L63-7 11-2

DATE OPPONENT RESULT W-L
Mon, Sep 5 vsOberlin W35-9 1-0
Mon, Sep 12 @Frostburg State W34-12 2-0
Mon, Sep 19 vsThiel College W56-16 3-0
Mon, Sep 26 @Grove City College W28-10 4-0
Mon, Oct 3 vsGeneva College W31-10 5-0
Mon, Oct 17 @St. Vincent W21-7 6-0
Mon, Oct 24 @Westminster PA W49-7 7-0
Mon, Oct 31 vsThomas More L14-7 7-1
Mon, Nov 7 @Bethany (WV) W49-0 8-1
Mon, Nov 14 vsWaynesburg W35-12 9-1
Mon, Nov 21 @Mount Union L55-0 9-2

DATE OPPONENT RESULT W-L
Sun, Sep 11 @Delaware Valley L27-0 0-1
Sun, Sep 18 vsBethany (WV) W59-21 1-1
Sun, Sep 25 @Thomas More L29-21 1-2
Sun, Oct 2 vsWestminster PA W49-7 2-2
Sun, Oct 9 vsSt. Vincent W31-20 3-2
Sun, Oct 16 vsFrostburg State W21-6 4-2
Sun, Oct 23 @Geneva College W22-16 5-2
Sun, Oct 30 vsGrove City College W21-14 6-2
Sun, Nov 6 @Thiel College W47-14 7-2
Sun, Nov 13 @Waynesburg W31-30 OT 8-2
Sun, Nov 20 vsFranklin & Marshall W54-41 9-2

If you look at the points scored against his defense, this is how each season averages out:

• 2008: 23.46 PPG
  • 2009: 13.81 PPG
  • 2010: 20.45 PPG

The 63-7 loss to Mary Hardin-Baylor in 2008 and 55-0 loss to Mount Union in 2009 skew the averages for those two years. I have no idea what happened in those games, but if you remove the outliers from each season (the game with the highest points scored against and the game with the lowest points scored against), here's how each season averages out:

• 2008: 21.36 PPG
  • 2009: 10 PPG
  • 2010: 21.1 PPG

All this to say, if Caponi can get our defense to perform this way in the AAC...and Morris gets his top-scoring offense rolling...we just might have some phenomenal football seasons ahead of us!

Not relevant at all, but I played baseball at St Vincent  (prior to graduating from UNT) - all of these teams were in our conference. I don't know anything about the football programs, but I will say all of those towns and schools are very blue collar. Lot of really tough kids up there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

The same graphic that someone will rush to print, and not care about worthiness.

Oh, I agree.  I was just surprised that someone was being critical of the "artwork" that was thrown together.  I would hope that it would be refined to look much better, but then again, dealing with NT's marketing arm should have taught me otherwise.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Not to be argumentative but here are some big jumps from 2016.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/12/14565370/ncaa-defensive-stats-rankings-2016

I think it great we went from 125 to 93,  but is 93 really that great? There are about 130 1A programs which still puts us in the bottom 30%. I think we have made great coaching hires in the past week or so. However, I don't think our coaches on defense have much to work with. We basically missed early signing and seem to have more players going than coming. Hopefully we can make major improvements in defense the next few years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 9:21 AM, p_phelps said:

Where's his connection to Morris? I'm not seeing them crossing paths and no texas connections? 

Dude this is college football, not high school football...

I love how Texans become clueless when something happens outside Texas borders... This is a national sport

• Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

On 12/22/2022 at 10:28 AM, Cooley said:

Any Iowa State DB’s in the portal?

Would like to have had a Texas connection and/or DC experience at a known university. 

Anyone know if we’re looking at 3 or 4 man front?

Dude 90 percent of the staff is from Texas. There's 49 other states when you look beyond Texas.

UNT may be one of the few schools in America that only recruits in Texas

• Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Dude this is college football, not high school football...

I love how Texans become clueless when something happens outside Texas borders... This is a national sport

Dude Texas foot is national football. kick rocks dumbass

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, p_phelps said:

Dude Texas foot is national football. kick rocks dumbass

You''re being small minded. Can you imagine ONLY emphasizing your own state? Look at football rosters across the country. You need geographic diversity and expand your recruiting footprint to a variety of areas. The entire staff is already extremely Texan and you sound like a cult member when you think you're going to compete by only recruiting in Texas

Adaway and Ragsdale are great examples of what happens when you expand your horizons

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

You''re being small minded. Can you imagine ONLY emphasizing your own state? Look at football rosters across the country. You need geographic diversity and expand your recruiting footprint to a variety of areas. The entire staff is already extremely Texan and you sound like a cult member when you think you're going to compete by only recruiting in Texas

Adaway and Ragsdale are great examples of what happens when you expand your horizons

I never said I didn't want out of state recruits. I asked what's his connection to Texas. You know because the head coach said he wanted Texas ties and I didn't know his guys resume. BUT if you emphasize one state, Texas would be the one to do it. Texas HS football is the best in the world. You sound like a troll. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1