DRC: UNT lands Guyer wide receiver Landon Sides, who flipped from Incarnate Word

Brett Vito

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not touching the race or political topics you put out but I will say that having Tyreke Davis star for us for several years didn’t seem to move the needle in keeping Denton kids home. And we beat out the Mountain West’s Fresno State for his services, not FCS UIW. 

Critique the new coach in the same metrics you criticized Littrell. If beating out FCS for a player didn’t impress you under Littrell, it shouldn’t impress you under Morris. If beating out FCS for a player made you angry with Littrell, you should be angry with Morris too. 

I believe Littrell had a honeymoon period where fans let the man do things his way without too many questions. It wasn't until after a few seasons that people began to evaluate the data and question Littrell's leadership. 

As for this recruit, I actually know a little about this situation (Don't ask me how). From what I've heard, Sides is a good kid and has had his sights on UNT for a long time. I believe Sides was set to be a preferred walk on under Littrell's staff. But IWU offered, and he was set to sign (free college is still free college). I guess Morris saw something in him that he felt merited a scholarship. I'm not going to question Morris on this one. It makes sense to me that if we are going to be able to identify under the radar talent, we should see it in our own backyard first. Davis was a solid player for UNT. Hopefully Sides will be too. Time will tell. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not touching the race or political topics you put out but I will say that having Tyreke Davis star for us for several years didn’t seem to move the needle in keeping Denton kids home. And we beat out the Mountain West’s Fresno State for his services, not FCS UIW. 

Critique the new coach in the same metrics you criticized Littrell. If beating out FCS for a player didn’t impress you under Littrell, it shouldn’t impress you under Morris. If beating out FCS for a player made you angry with Littrell, you should be angry with Morris too. 

I’m somewhat surprised Patrick Cobb hasn’t faired better there since he was a coach there before coming to UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

34 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I believe Littrell had a honeymoon period where fans let the man do things his way without too many questions. It wasn't until after a few seasons that people began to evaluate the data and question Littrell's leadership. 

As for this recruit, I actually know a little about this situation (Don't ask me how). From what I've heard, Sides is a good kid and has had his sights on UNT for a long time. I believe Sides was set to be a preferred walk on under Littrell's staff. But IWU offered, and he was set to sign (free college is still free college). I guess Morris saw something in him that he felt merited a scholarship. I'm not going to question Morris on this one. It makes sense to me that if we are going to be able to identify under the radar talent, we should see it in our own backyard first. Davis was a solid player for UNT. Hopefully Sides will be too. Time will tell. 

If it's important to Morris to recruit the Denton schools (it is), then a good way to open that pipeline is to start bringing in kids from said schools. Perhaps a little stretch, when you can afford to stretch, is a good way to start building those relationships, and building that trust!

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

If it's important to Morris to recruit the Denton schools (it is), then a good way to open that pipeline is to start bringing in kids from said schools. Perhaps a little stretch, when you can afford to stretch, is a good way to start building those relationships, and building that trust!

And if there is any position on this type of team where we can afford to stretch a bit it would be at slot receiver. Two of our best recent slot receivers (Burns and Lawrence) started as walk-ons. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

There should be no more focus on Denton schools than there is on any other Metroplex school.  I want the best players, not a zip code player!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Well said 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GOMeanGO said:

We play better talent than incarnate word and get more publicity? Yup!

While we do play better talent, we are not a P5 school. I'm not trying to crap on your opinion but just for your knowledge.

P5- ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and SEC

G5- AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC and Sunbelt,

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, NT80 said:

There should be no more focus on Denton schools than there is on any other Metroplex school.  I want the best players, not a zip code player!

Yes but there is good football in Denton and I'd argue Denton was being recruited worse than the rest of the metroplex (which was not good either).

• Upvote 1