DRC: UNT lands Guyer wide receiver Landon Sides, who flipped from Incarnate Word

Brett Vito

10 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I watched his tape. Decent speed, good footwork, runs well after the catch. He can be a stud. Reminds me of Lawrence just based on his film. 

I’m just saying in the midst of the excitement around his hire we should still try to have some semblance of objectivity. 

I get that, but we are two recruits in. And it is the coaches collegiate position, I'm not saying this is the most exciting signing we will have. There could even be a chance with the changing of staff that is UIW offer wasn't valid anymore we don't know, but dragging a kid who looks capable just based on stats/film/competition level because he didn't get offers, seems a bit premature. 

Even if he is a role guy down the road, I know high school coaches appreciate when the programs take a little more risk to sign a kid I know they believe in. Like Morris said he plans to build via relationship. I'd say this is a good first step, regardless of how it ends up playing out. Mike was a walk on. Fine was a walk on. We obviously want to win some battles and close with a good class. But the staff is brand new and they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

It's not like he took a flyer on a no offer undersized qb from Oklahoma or anything.

Edited by Caw Caw
formatting
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

53 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

God ya'll are miserable. He had almost 1200 yards and 15 touchdowns on one of the best teams in the state against collegiate level talent all season... Multiple touchdowns in the state level. At least watch his tape... Also it's absolutely an investment into Denton and to the coaches to offer this kid immediately while coming on.

We either hired a guy who can evaluate and develop or we didn't. Here is his film if you actually care to make your own evaluation outside of a recruiting site.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/14494753/Landon-Sides

"We want a coach to keep kids home and builds relationships with the local community" followed by "NO NOT LIKE THAT. NOT HIM"

This. I said something similar in a post about a kid transferring to NMSU. Being a Denton kid, some of the real talent among Black kids always felt like UNT thought they were too good for us. Here we have people talking about us flipping a kid from FCS to us is a loss. The point is building relationships with the Denton kids. That may bring the other Denton kids along. Let's be real, your most talented kids in football just happen to be Black. There are great kids of other races, but the NFL and college say the majority are black. So, we need to build relationships with them. I am not saying just target Black kids. You should target all kids. It's just the Black community is hard to change so you have to make a concerted effort to win them over. Look at how many vote for Democrats no matter what Republicans say or do.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 6

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Before this recruits thread gets derailed too much… I just want to throw out very good chance UIW would have beat us this year if we played em. 

Nobody else on this board has ever wanted to acknowledge an FCS could beat us. Let's just pretend Portland State never happened. I certainly didn't enjoy explaining things like that to my wife after I took her to that game.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

It's great we flipped someone from Denton, but really it's not important he is from Denton.  I don't think we need to focus on signing Denton kids just because the University is in Denton.  There is too much high school talent within 50 miles of Denton, making a priority to recruit the city limits is silly.   

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not touching the race or political topics you put out but I will say that having Tyreke Davis star for us for several years didn’t seem to move the needle in keeping Denton kids home. And we beat out the Mountain West’s Fresno State for his services, not FCS UIW. 

Critique the new coach in the same metrics you criticized Littrell. If beating out FCS for a player didn’t impress you under Littrell, it shouldn’t impress you under Morris. If beating out FCS for a player made you angry with Littrell, you should be angry with Morris too. 

I never criticized SL for beating out FCS guys. You are correct about Tyreke not moving the needle much. However, we have to keep pushing it because unfortunately the distrust runs deep.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

It's great we flipped someone from Denton, but really it's not important he is from Denton.  I don't think we need to focus on signing Denton kids just because the University is in Denton.  There is too much high school talent within 50 miles of Denton, making a priority to recruit the city limits is silly.   

Agreed, but we absolutely should be hitting DFW really hard. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Agreed, but we absolutely should be hitting DFW really hard. 

Yes, and Morris said as much in his intro speech.   But Vito seemed to make a big deal about this signing, not so much about the kid, but it being a local player from Guyer.  I'm saying focus on the player, not the high school he attended!

• Upvote 1

Let's just give the kid a shot and let him do his thing. Just because he didnt have many offers and just because we flipped him from IW doesnt mean anything and just helps us build that relationship with the local schools. I hear kid is a stud. Only reason he was under recruited is because his lack of size mainly. Even his teammate, 5 star safety Peyton Bowen is vouching for him saying he is one of the best WR's on the team at Guyer. All we can do is wait and see.Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2

5 minutes ago, Jdawg48 said:

Let's just give the kid a shot and let him do his thing. Just because he didnt have many offers and just because we flipped him from IW doesnt mean anything and just helps us build that relationship with the local schools. I hear kid is a stud. Only reason he was under recruited is because his lack of size mainly. Even his teammate, 5 star safety Peyton Bowen is vouching for him saying he is one of the best WR's on the team at Guyer. All we can do is wait and see.Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

You haven’t been around long enough to realize why folks would be upset or hesitant on this type of signing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not touching the race or political topics you put out but I will say that having Tyreke Davis star for us for several years didn’t seem to move the needle in keeping Denton kids home. And we beat out the Mountain West’s Fresno State for his services, not FCS UIW. 

Critique the new coach in the same metrics you criticized Littrell. If beating out FCS for a player didn’t impress you under Littrell, it shouldn’t impress you under Morris. If beating out FCS for a player made you angry with Littrell, you should be angry with Morris too. 

Courage.   Needed to be said.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

He definitely doesn’t have the most impressive offer list but 247 rated him as a 3-star with an 85 rating. Looks like he really took off his senior year and was mostly recruited late because of that. I like that he runs track in multiple events, which shows he has good speed and athleticism. Worst case scenario we offered a guy right on the cusp between FCS and G5 levels. If we offer such a player, it makes sense it was a local Denton kid. 

• Upvote 5