BREAKING NEWS: North Texas Hires Chris Gilbert

TheReal_jayD

Around 20-25% of these kids have found a new home. And as you've all now learned, the majority of them wont. I believe it was like... 30% or less of portal entrants found a new home. Now imagine that not all those homes even come with a scholarship. Those entering the portal are competing for 85 scholarship spots per university at the FBS D1 level... High School recruits, portal guys, juco are all your competition.

I would venture that the best players entering the portal already know where they are going before they enter. Let's say... the Murphy twins for example. Probably were contacted before entering. Plus, all-conference accolades it's a safe bet. If you are 3rd or lower on the depth chart you may be walking away from a free education chasing minutes.

Let me state I am all for these young men being allowed to transfer and find the right fit and opportunity. Coaches do it penalty free every year. But I hope coaches, family members and support systems get better at educating some of these guys about the risks and potential downside to the portal.  It seems to me for more than half of the kids who enter it's a Siren's song leading them to crash their collegiate ship into the rocky shores.

But let's be honest, how many parents do you know can stay level headed and reasonable and realistic when it comes to their kids dreams and asperations.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

And isn't there a limit as to the number (10?) of official coaches that can be on a team?

An FBS program currently can have a head coach, ten on-field assistant coaches, four on-field graduate assistants and five strength coaches. There is already no maximum for the off-field staffs allowed, which includes people like operations administrators, analysts and recruiting personnel.

* Side note - Several of the Mega-money P5s are pushing (and will eventually get it) no limits to the size of staffs.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

An FBS program currently can have a head coach, ten on-field assistant coaches, four on-field graduate assistants and five strength coaches. There is already no maximum for the off-field staffs allowed, which includes people like operations administrators, analysts and recruiting personnel.

* Side note - Several of the Mega-money P5s are pushing (and will eventually get it) no limits to the size of staffs.

Think they'll be ok with leaving it, hearing most have transitioned or in process of transitioning to guys like Gary Patterson.  Takes an Analyst job makes however much they'll pay and is the primary coach.  Meanwhile the recruiting studs (young guys with energy) are named assistants and they do all the grind work of traveling and recruiting.  Then when those guys get on campus your seasoned veterans are now allowed to talk to them and recruit them.  Now you just went to an unlimited number of possibilities.  Kind of brilliant if you ask me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

These numbers are also officially changing within the next 18 months as part or consequence of the NCAA Transformation Committee. I recommend folks listen to the Extra Points podcast.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Think they'll be ok with leaving it, hearing most have transitioned or in process of transitioning to guys like Gary Patterson.  Takes an Analyst job makes however much they'll pay and is the primary coach.  Meanwhile the recruiting studs (young guys with energy) are named assistants and they do all the grind work of traveling and recruiting.  Then when those guys get on campus your seasoned veterans are now allowed to talk to them and recruit them.  Now you just went to an unlimited number of possibilities.  Kind of brilliant if you ask me. 

Wow that’s really interesting.  I had not ever thought of how they were using the analysts.  It would seem coaches like Gary need the titles and the money for their ego but hey being an analyst beats sitting on your ass at home getting yelled at by your wife!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Wow that’s really interesting.  I had not ever thought of how they were using the analysts.  It would seem coaches like Gary need the titles and the money for their ego but hey being an analyst beats sitting on your ass at home getting yelled at by your wife!

Does it make a difference, for everything I have seen, YES. Frees a hell of a lot of time up for on-the-field coached. Here's something that not good -

For 2022 we had 2 analyst and 3 GAs

image.png.5a67b6ace2c415404e2f7d9992f82fbb.png

UTSA had 8 analyst and 4 GAs

image.png.8a22b289fb2578625242191ec9d5d5dd.png

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

Around 20-25% of these kids have found a new home. And as you've all now learned, the majority of them wont. I believe it was like... 30% or less of portal entrants found a new home. Now imagine that not all those homes even come with a scholarship. Those entering the portal are competing for 85 scholarship spots per university at the FBS D1 level... High School recruits, portal guys, juco are all your competition.

I would venture that the best players entering the portal already know where they are going before they enter. Let's say... the Murphy twins for example. Probably were contacted before entering. Plus, all-conference accolades it's a safe bet. If you are 3rd or lower on the depth chart you may be walking away from a free education chasing minutes.

Let me state I am all for these young men being allowed to transfer and find the right fit and opportunity. Coaches do it penalty free every year. But I hope coaches, family members and support systems get better at educating some of these guys about the risks and potential downside to the portal.  It seems to me for more than half of the kids who enter it's a Siren's song leading them to crash their collegiate ship into the rocky shores.

But let's be honest, how many parents do you know can stay level headed and reasonable and realistic when it comes to their kids dreams and asperations.

If you're not a starter at a G5 you should never hit the portal and expect to end up elsewhere. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

It’s better for those guys.  They still make a ton of money (to me) lol and they by ncaa rule can’t go on the road and recruit so they basically do as you say except they stay at university and work on football.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1