BREAKING NEWS: North Texas Hires Chris Gilbert

TheReal_jayD

This is quite possibly the most significant hire UNT has made in the history of the program because it opens up recruiting opportunities we just have not ever cultivated. Kudos to Coach Morris and welcome Coach Gilbert!

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-recruiting-longhorns-top-recruits-2023-dallas-fort-worth-area/

Edited by meangreen11
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

P5 have been snooping around on him since he arrived on campus. HIs brother is a top TE in the country in class of 25. Im sure they are hoping to get Jake will help land little brother. He may come back he may not. But from everything I have heard since start of the year Jake was going to test portal after season. 

could explain how Gumms in my opinion got more looks, knowing Roberts was not 100% into returning, Gumms is more dynamic, while Roberts was bigger although he had the drops on occasion. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

@TheReal_jayDi know it’s highly unlikely but I feel with the timing of the announcement, this isn’t such a silly question to ask…

could we potentially see a recruit or two decommit elsewhere and flip to UNT because of Gilbert?

I doubt for early signing day. But def think it will help during January

• Upvote 2

P5 have been snooping around on him since he arrived on campus. HIs brother is a top TE in the country in class of 25. Im sure they are hoping to get Jake will help land little brother. He may come back he may not. But from everything I have heard since start of the year Jake was going to test portal after season. 

And he probably knows he's not going to see a lot of touches in Morris' offense. I don't blame him for leaving and its why I don't think its a massive loss with Gumms on the roster. 

• Upvote 2

But from everything I have heard since start of the year Jake was going to test portal after season. 

When a player decides to “test the portal,” is their scholarship still available to them at the previous school if they decide to go back?  Or is that a coaches decision on whether or not to welcome them back?

• Upvote 2

Excited about this hire, but my question is: If Gilbert is so good, why did Texas let him go?

They can certainly afford to pay him more than we can. 

It looks like his position with us is a promotion over what he was doing with Texas, but UT could have certainly money-whipped him to keep him at his previous job or promoted him themselves, especially if he was tied to certain must-have recruits.

Did he not get along with Sarkisian? Not like Austin? 

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Excited about this hire, but my question is: If Gilbert is so good, why did Texas let him go?

It looks like his position with us is a promotion over what he was doing with Texas, but UT could have certainly money-whipped him to keep him at his previous job or promoted him themselves, especially if he was tied to certain must-have recruits.

Sounds like he wanted to get back on the sidelines and Texas wasn't giving him that opportunity. 

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

To do that Texas would have to strip someone else of a title if he wanted to get to on field coaching. Coaches have a lot of loyalty to the ones under them hence why Morris took 3 from wsu even though their titles are similar to the ones had there. Gilbert is getting a great opportunity while learning a different system and coming back to dfw.  Im sure texas will just plug that hole with a different HS HC. 

• Upvote 6

53 minutes ago, Moobs said:

When a player decides to “test the portal,” is their scholarship still available to them at the previous school if they decide to go back?  Or is that a coaches decision on whether or not to welcome them back?

The risk for athletes entering the transfer portal is that their scholarship at their current school is no longer guaranteed. Once a player is officially in the portal his scholarship can be rescinded and offered to another incoming student-athlete. The decision to continue honoring a scholarship is up to the school and can be decided on a case-by-case basis. At most universities, the head coach and/or athletic director would make that call. Seems most schools give the players a chance to return, unless there are underlying issues they are in the portal

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I don't think it's that he was not wanted and respected, it seems just the opposite. Maybe he just wanted to come home? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moobs said:

Once they enter they have forfeited their scholarship.  If the coach wants them back they are able to keep scholarship no harm no foul.  If coach is pissed he can be told to kick rocks which more often than not is what happens. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I doubt for early signing day. But def think it will help during January

I suspect recruiting to UNT will be a bit more challenging than recruiting to Texas.  Looking forward to see how the staff does over the next month or so.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moobs said:

I asked this a bit back and was told that it is up to the original school.

On 12/14/2022 at 5:14 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

It is up to the school and depends on the individual. 

Once a player enters the transfer portal, the program the athlete currently attends is no longer required to honor the player’s scholarship. Even if a player enters the transfer portal and later withdraws their name, their current program is no longer obligated to honor their scholarship.

• Upvote 2