UTSA (12/22/2022)

UNTLifer

Now, we know what happens when Ousmane is hitting his shots.

Whats with UTSA's very poor production?  No scores, wrong scores, nearly always behind; the announcers were ok and must be disgusted with their support from UTSA.

I don't care about a teams' facility, but they have to support their announcers.  The announcers did their best to update vocally all the wrong data being displayed. 

Maybe UTSA spends all their money on football. 

• Upvote 5

that was fun. 

that said, reasons to be a little tempered...those entry passes to Abou were about as easy as I've ever seen...not just wing entry, but there were numerous times he flashed across the lane and was able to get a post pass from basically the top of the key. that's awful defense. he had a monster game and should get full praise...but let's say 10 or so of those points came from UTSA's terrible positioning. fair play to Abou, he made those shots and he should have tons of confidence moving forward. 

my overall assessment so far:

- I think it's reasonable to assume you'll get 30-ish from some combo of Perry and Abou each night. where the other points come from is the issue.

- I like Huntsberry's stroke and overall game and I think more perimeter shots will drop. he only took 5 shots tonight, a season low, which tells me he knows he's struggling and is letting things more come to him. he's still the 3rd best scoring option and I think we'll see more consistency in conference

- Martinez and Eady are clearly being asked to fill different rolls than at their previous stops. these were both double-digit scorers previously...Eady seems to dig his more defensive roll, and Martinez isn't afraid to look for his offense. I think, like Kai, we'll see some subtle gains from both throughout the season.

- I think Stone just had his best game at UNT. he's doing some JJ Murray like shit out there and his shot seems less hurried. Many here thought he was a knockdown shooter (admit it...it was bc he's white. y'all did the same thing to slashing/PG Collin Mangrum), but if he can give grit and savvy and hit at 30% like JJ did he's got a roll here

- Aaron Scott doesn't need to have the ball go through him. I'm reading many wondering where his points are...dude is still your hustle and defender. Scott will get 15 in a game when he gets 5 offensive rebounds, 2 free throws and a wide open 3. I don't need to see a set move through him for a hoop yet...I don't think the game is developed enough. 

- Rubin will come right. not too worried about his shot...gonna give benefit of the doubt he's still not 100%. I know Grant gets a lineup/rotation and rides it, but if he's right, I think I'd prefer to see Jones in the starting 5 in place of Huntsberry. Kai strikes me as more the combo 6th man who can get his own off the bench and sometimes I feel he and Tylor kinda cannibalize themselves early on in games by trying to get the other one going. 

- small sample size, but I'm still pretty stoked to see Christian Moore develop

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

NT 29 ------- UTSA 19

3:51 to go

We're playing faster than normal.  Mac must have seen something on tape.

Yeah a garbage UTSA JV squad that he could exploit with momentum. 

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

It you wanna see a lame basketball arena, take a look at Cal-State Northridge - seats all of 1600 people.  And that's after a renovation a few years ago.

image.png.3dbf9faa6ee889d8f248f293987655bb.png

You talking about this arena? Because after the renovations, this thing looks sick, despite it's audience layout and size. 

1 hour ago, NTXDJ said:

I love seeing Ousmane go off, but we only got him and Perry in double digits.  What's up with Huntsberry, Jones, and Scott? 

When guys are hitting shots like nobody's business, you feed them the rock. You don't need to wonder where Kai, Rubin, and Aaron's shots/points are because they're letting Abou do the work that's getting them the scores. They'll be there when we need them. 

• Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

You talking about this arena? Because after the renovations, this thing looks sick, despite it's audience layout and size. 

When guys are hitting shots like nobody's business, you feed them the rock. You don't need to wonder where Kai, Rubin, and Aaron's shots/points are because they're letting Abou do the work that's getting them the scores. They'll be there when we need them. 

It's really not that great - the pictures give it too much credit (they do have a nice paint job though).  It is better since 2014, I remember when I saw it for the first time a few years before that when I was dating a girl in grad school at CSUN I couldn't believe that was an arena for a D1 school.  

It's still pretty subpar.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Whats with UTSA's very poor production?  No scores, wrong scores, nearly always behind; the announcers were ok and must be disgusted with their support from UTSA.

I don't care about a teams' facility, but they have to support their announcers.  The announcers did their best to update vocally all the wrong data being displayed. 

Those were ESPN-hired announcers.  They weren't using the video displayed time or score as it didn't even display until about 5 min into the game.  Courtside announcers use the official scoreboard and clock.  I was watching the ESPN website online score/time along with the ESPN+ video and it was very accurate with the live game.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Those were ESPN-hired announcers.  They weren't using the video displayed time or score as it didn't even display until about 5 min into the game.  Courtside announcers use the official scoreboard and clock.  I was watching the ESPN website online score/time along with the ESPN+ video and it was very accurate with the live game.

One of them was former UNT QB Ladarren McClaine.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Jason Howeth said:

Karate Kid was filmed at that location

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, chrisfisher said:

Ya. He saw that our offense all around sucks and often looks out of sync and good shooters cannot seem to make shots, even open ones... I love our time management and elite defense but at some point you've got to let shooters shoot, preferably in rhythm. 

UNT.JPG.3b8f702ee56f328fde83aa58f240ec85.JPG

When I posted our UNT offense sucks, I didn't mean to be a Debby downer, but I knew our season stats. We have a great line-up and elite defense. However, our offense or lack thereof will catch-up with us if we don't do something about it...low shooting percentages, long draughts of no scoring during a game, etc.... Defense can only get you so far...at the end of the day, you need to put the ball in the bucket to win.... Maybe Abou's performance is a step in the right direction. I really think the biggest hurdle for offense is that we play to the clock more than the open shot or in rhythm... it's hard even for the best shooters to jack up an out of rhythm shot, even if wide open, simply because there is 2 seconds left on the shot clock.  I think coach is trying to open up our offense as evidenced last night with the allowance of more shots even early in the shot clock.... For those that like to downvote, please see the pic of our offensive percentages.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, chrisfisher said:

When I posted our UNT offense sucks, I didn't mean to be a Debby downer, but I knew our season stats. We have a great line-up and elite defense. However, our offense or lack thereof will catch-up with us if we don't do something about it...low shooting percentages, long draughts of no scoring during a game, etc.... Defense can only get you so far...at the end of the day, you need to put the ball in the bucket to win.... Maybe Abou's performance is a step in the right direction. I really think the biggest hurdle for offense is that we play to the clock more than the open shot or in rhythm... it's hard even for the best shooters to jack up an out of rhythm shot, even if wide open, simply because there is 2 seconds left on the shot clock.  I think coach is trying to open up our offense as evidenced last night with the allowance of more shots even early in the shot clock.... For those that like to downvote, please see the pic of our offensive percentages.

Rubin Jones was a 36.6% three-point shooter entering the season and is at just 21.7% from three this year.

Tyree Eady was a 38.6% three-point shooter entering the season and is at just 25.8% from three this year.

Kai Huntsberry shot 39.8% from three at his JUCO and 41% at his D2 school but is shooting just 22.4% from three this year.

Jayden Martinez is shooting okay from three, but his shooting percentage for his 4-year career at UNH was 45% from the floor and he is shooting just 30% from the floor this season.

Part of this you can really argue is an indictment on Mccasland’s offense. It’s not the easiest offense to be efficient in when you play hot potato for 20 seconds before really making a move with the shot-clock dwindling sometimes. But to a certain degree you have to expect these percentages to correct themselves and progress back towards the mean. If they can, that completely changes the game on what caliber team we can be.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, chrisfisher said:

I knew our offense has struggled, but didn't realize we ranked this low. I agree, if we can figure out these struggles, we will be very hard to beat by any team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Rubin Jones was a 36.6% three-point shooter entering the season and is at just 21.7% from three this year.

Tyree Eady was a 38.6% three-point shooter entering the season and is at just 25.8% from three this year.

Kai Huntsberry shot 39.8% from three at his JUCO and 41% at his D2 school but is shooting just 22.4% from three this year.

Jayden Martinez is shooting okay from three, but his shooting percentage for his 4-year career at UNH was 45% from the floor and he is shooting just 30% from the floor this season.

Part of this you can really argue is an indictment on Mccasland’s offense. It’s not the easiest offense to be efficient in when you play hot potato for 20 seconds before really making a move with the shot-clock dwindling sometimes. But to a certain degree you have to expect these percentages to correct themselves and progress back towards the mean. If they can, that completely changes the game on what caliber team we can be.

Eady, so far, has been the biggest bust.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy on offense.  I know the strategy by running clock is to lessen the number of possessions for the opponent.  Many times however we try to run the shot clock down then get a violation or a rushed shot because of it.  I see us passing up good shots in the lane sometimes just to move the ball around more, run clock, then heave a desperate 3 attempt.  Perhaps the strategy last night to get it down low for higher percentage shots and draw fouls was an attempt to help our offense?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy on offense.  I know the strategy by running clock is to lessen the number of possessions for the opponent.  Many times however we try to run the shot clock down then get a violation or a rushed shot because of it.  I see us passing up good shots in the lane sometimes just to move the ball around more, run clock, then heave a desperate 3 attempt.  Perhaps the strategy last night to get it down low for higher percentage shots and draw fouls was an attempt to help our offense?

This is absolutely true. We also don’t have a tremendous group of ball handlers so asking them to hold the ball/move the ball around that long is also going to lead to more turnovers than if you let a good shot fly with 18 seconds on the shot clock.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

This is absolutely true. We also don’t have a tremendous group of ball handlers so asking them to hold the ball/move the ball around that long is also going to lead to more turnovers than if you let a good shot fly with 18 seconds on the shot clock.

I do agree with this, but..... we are 10-2 and we have seen Grant's system work time and time again. If it ain't broke...

• Upvote 2