Some Positive Thoughts as NSD Approaches

TheReal_jayD

• TheReal_jayD changed the title to Some Positive Thoughts as NSD Approaches
9 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I know it can be doom and gloom with de-commitments, transfers, and silence on the coaching staff announcements. But there are a ton of positives as we move forward. 

1. Coach Morris is no stranger to putting a team together. He took a team that was 30-67 prior to his arrival to two conference championships within four years. This past weekend that team played for a national championship with over 75% of the team being players he had brought in and recruited. So, I believe he has a plan, and even maybe learning from some mistakes made at UIW as well.

2. As of right now the team has minimal available scholarships. So, I am glad he is being selective with who they add this off-season. I believe he will spend most of the first month putting staff together and evaluating what he has left on the roster. There will be more athletes hitting the portal within the next few days. It will not be the end of the world. Some will be big names. But I don't believe it will end all be all. Also, with limited scholarships every time someone hits the portal it will allow more available spots for Morris and staff to bring in their guys. I am also glad we are being upfront with recruits. We could keep all the recruits currently committed. But with portal no guarantee they stay. Especially with a staff coming in that didn’t recruit, as well as them possibly not being a scheme fit.

3. I would much rather see the staff taking the slow approach as opposed to the running out and throwing out offers to players that don't fill voids or will make an impact. Not need to sign players just to sign. January will be super busy with a full staff in place. There will be a ton of OVs. Since I have started covering recruiting some of our best players have come from commits that take place in late January and February. (Fine, Ejiya, Bussey, Hamilton, Darden, Brammer, and Shorter just to name a few of top of my head) 

4. With Portal going crazy there will be a ton of talented players left after Wednesday. Both HS and Transfer players will be available. Also, transfers are fair game until the player arrives on campus so just because transfers are committing now nothing is binding until they arrive on campus. So still, plenty of time on that front. 

5. I may be drunk on the green kool-aid. But all I am saying is let’s put the pitch forks down and give Coach Morris a shot. As well as GO MEAN GREEN

image.jpeg

Thanks for the detailed response to my question. The de-commits from the Cb and DL are concerning and I’ll be in a wait and see mode with these two spots and OT and Qb. But the surprise so far has been a lack of staff announcements— OC or DC.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’ll never understand people freaking out about commits from the old staff decommitting or career backups transferring. When you make the decision to fire a coach, that’s what you sign yourself up for. 

Agree. This is why I wish we had done this reset last year.

We have a ton of talent on this team, plenty of recruits to pick from...Morris has done this before, successfully! My only fear, can he take us to the next level in college football? We need a few 4 and 5 star recruits occasionally. We don't want to just compete, but win regularly on the national stage...he's got no more than 3 years to do this in my mind, and yes, we should have fired Seth last year!!!

• Upvote 2

Tulane won the AAC and they did that because they picked up 10 starters in the transfer portal.  I am willing to predict that the teams that have the most success in the portal will be the top teams in the conference.  Being that the AAC is the top G5 conference, this is where a lot of P5 players dropping down for more playing time would like to end up. 

As for UNT 2023 will be a rebuilding year, they waited to long to get a staff in place, but that just means they have plenty of time to build the program properly with the right people in place. 

Edited by MrAlien
  • Upvote 3

I have been following North Texas football for 50 years and in that fifty years we have recruited exactly ONE five star recruit.  That was Milton Collins, a vaunted running back. Mr. Collins only played a few games as a running back and finished his career with us as a D Lineman.

We had very few 4 stars in that time.  Not even SMU, Memphis or Boise have more than the occasional 4 stars.  

Let’s let the coach bring in players he can build into 4-5 star players.  I believe he can and will, make u proud.

Edited by ntexeagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

It would have been the same thing, just with last year’s guys.

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So we could go through the same thing last year?

But I think it would be to have been while we were in CUSA, and not starting out in the American

1 hour ago, UNT78 said:

We have a ton of talent on this team, plenty of recruits to pick from...Morris has done this before, successfully! My only fear, can he take us to the next level in college football? We need a few 4 and 5 star recruits occasionally. We don't want to just compete, but win regularly on the national stage...he's got no more than 3 years to do this in my mind, and yes, we should have fired Seth last year!!!

You do not need 4/5* to win.. you need coaches who can develop players and put guys into the best position to win.

game planning and development is what is key. The development of a QB as well vastly improves chances as well. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

But I think it would be to have been while we were in CUSA, and not starting out in the American

Yeah, it would’ve. And a decent chance we have Cam Ward as our QB. But point is, eventually the new coach will turn the roster over and that’s what we’re signing up for. A new coach who can take the program to the next level. And that eventually means the program will be all his and all his own players.

• Upvote 1

So far it appears that those UNT lost thus far is a plus-gain given the scholarship limitations for this year.
TE's Roberts & Alberging-career backups, as is Dayton LeBlanc. In order to rebuild the roster, Coach Morris needs 
room to work with. I was glad QB Stone Earle got the opportunity to participate in the Frisco Bowl. and am wondering
if Earle, JD Head, or Grant Gunnells is perceived as the starter for next year?? All three were highly touted coming into
UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1