INTRODUCTORY PRESS CONFERENCE FOR COACH MORRIS AND AD MOSLEY - UPDATED DAY AND TIME

Harry

1 hour ago, eeeeagle said:

But my biggest takeaway: The Mike-Leach-certified nickname he gave Morris during his time at Tech. He tells it better than I could and the story is towards the 44 minute mark. Who knows? maybe it'll stick here at UNT

He made it clear at UNT it's Coach Morris. ELF was for Coach Leach.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, 2020 Sucks said:

Why was Vito so abrasive today?  If you didn’t watch, he said…”UNT has been going to bowl games…how do you think you can do any better?”  Morris was pretty set back by the question…surprised that he’d get hammered by an attitude of mediocrity so soon!

I loved his answer, threw it back in Vito's face. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Because it's a continuation of a process that had its start last year...

----

Not gonna lie, I raised an eyebrow at Mosely's kamikaze metaphor.

It was somewhat bizarre and then he immediately shamed our alumni for not being interested in the program. It would have been better to say “The first thing we are going to do is make sure we have winning programs that people want to come see.” And then he could have said “we have a lot of alumni who are looking for a reason to come back - we are going to give them plenty of reasons!” Instead he said “people are waiting for everything to be perfect before they commit” and I think that struck the wrong tone. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

It was somewhat bizarre and then he immediately shamed our alumni for not being interested in the program. It would have been better to say “The first thing we are going to do is make sure we have winning programs that people want to come see.” And then he could have said “we have a lot of alumni who are looking for a reason to come back - we are going to give them plenty of reasons!” Instead he said “people are waiting for everything to be perfect before they commit” and I think that struck the wrong tone. 

I personally loved it, but I'm not the PR type guy lol say what needs to be said, then go fix it.  So, to you Mr. Mosely game on!! 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I personally loved it, but I'm not the PR type guy lol say what needs to be said, then go fix it.  So, to you Mr. Mosely game on!! 

I am ok with being direct about what’s needed but it seemed like more of a “well if you guys would be more committed…” rather than a pledge to make it more desirable. To be fair he said something along the lines of “we are going to try to make it as attractive as possible” but then spent a lot of his speech telling us to do more. The people paying attention to that speech are those who already buy tickets and donate, not the casual alumni or quasi-interested Dentonite that we need to bring in. But whatevs. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 7

18 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Because it's a continuation of a process that had its start last year...

----

Not gonna lie, I raised an eyebrow at Mosely's kamikaze metaphor.

I think he would have been better served with the breakfast metaphor...the chicken is involved, the pig is committed.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I talk to my kids about ‘tone’ all the times.  It is isn’t always the words, but the delivery.  I’m not sure his tone was 100% in line with his intent.  

That said, I’ve given more than my fair share of speeches and afterwards, even gave myself a hearty “WTF did I just say” 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, keith said:

Since our AD brought it up, is anyone else curious as to the other candidates?  He said something like you'd be amazed or surprised at the interest this job generated.  He opened the door.  The question should have been asked.

That would have been a huge disservice to EM and would only have generated unnecessary banter.   EM is the only candidate that should matter. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, keith said:

Since our AD brought it up, is anyone else curious as to the other candidates?  He said something like you'd be amazed or surprised at the interest this job generated.  He opened the door.  The question should have been asked.

Knowing how much Littrell is respected as an offensive mind, I would imagine it would be a large contingency of the Leach coaching Sequoia. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I agree with you.  Hubby wasn't keen on it cause we buy season tickets and already give what we can.  He felt a tip of hat to those who are already giving would have been nice.  Loved everything else about his speech though and we love him as AD.

• Upvote 6

Some of you get your feelings hurt so easily. If you already buy season tickets and donate to the department, that part of his speech isn’t directed at you. If you don’t, well… he’s not wrong! Get on board. They can’t keep investing in facilities and quality coaches without $’s coming in. It’s sad to see how far our support lags compared to our peers.

• Upvote 4

On 12/19/2022 at 12:09 PM, Harry said:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimg03.en25.com%2F

I don’t expect a lot in way of recruiting because he was hired late to the party, but his staff looks nice so far, next years recruitment class will be the telling sign. I like that Morris is showing that the status quo will no longer be tolerated! Music to my ears Aune is hitting the road. The guy would play till he was 50 if he had one more year of illegibility yet.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, GOMeanGO said:

I don’t expect a lot in way of recruiting because he was hired late to the party, but his staff looks nice so far, next years recruitment class will be the telling sign. I like that Morris is showing that the status quo will no longer be tolerated! Music to my ears Aune is hitting the road. The guy would play till he was 50 if he had one more year of illegibility yet.

Agree to a point.  I suspect they are going to work the HS recruits as much as possible but will probably take a dip in the TP a little more than they would want, even if they are 1-year grabs.     Success often breeds success and winning helps recruiting. I doubt there are any plans to shoot low in year 1.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I am ok with being direct about what’s needed but it seemed like more of a “well if you guys would be more committed…” rather than a pledge to make it more desirable. To be fair he said something along the lines of “we are going to try to make it as attractive as possible” but then spent a lot of his speech telling us to do more. The people paying attention to that speech are those who already buy tickets and donate, not the casual alumni or quasi-interested Dentonite that we need to bring in. But whatevs. 

Yes. Mosley mentioned to listening fans (ones that already go to games) to promote NT games to their non-attending friends.  I agree with this, but the Athletic Department needs to do a better in-house Marketing job to Denton, DFW< and Alumni.   It's been this way for decades, relying mainly on walkup crowds and word-of-mouth marketing.  A larger and better promotions and marketing staff would pay for itself!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Yes. Mosley mentioned to listening fans (ones that already go to games) to promote NT games to their non-attending friends.  I agree with this, but the Athletic Department needs to do a better in-house Marketing job to Denton, DFW< and Alumni.   It's been this way for decades, relying mainly on walkup crowds and word-of-mouth marketing.  A larger and better promotions and marketing staff would pay for itself!

Exactly. We buy season tickets and have attended just about every home game for almost 20 years. I try to get my friends and family to go to games but it's not my job to promote the program. That's why the AD and other senior staff in the Athletic Department get paid the big bucks. They need to promote the games and the team. They need to get people excited. We also need a most consistent product on the field to get people engaged. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Hmm, that sounds a bit like "we're ironing those $100 bills as fast as we can".

Boy! has he ever got the typical NT student/alumni assessed correctly............😎

• Upvote 2