North Texas Football Staff Tracker

TheReal_jayD

3 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

I agree on all but the Brophy point. He's been with Morris 3 years, not many. Two as a backup QB and one as a GA assistant.  So, only a couple years playing and none in implementing.  If you like this then you must have been thrilled with Quinn in charge of our QBs.

Just cause you may not have played at a certain level doesn't mean you can coach. Have faith in Morris and stop trying to find something wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

33 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

The hire of Chris Gilbert can not be understated enough.  He is by far the best hire so far.

image.png.441e36e9a8e45dd6f2f169031005c3fa.png

By far.

Of course, everyone sees the recruiting ties, but what this guy did AS A COACH, is flying way under the radar.  He’s very good at motivating young men to play at their absolute highest level.   Do not be surprised if Gumms is getting All American considerations by the time he graduates.

• Upvote 5

You don’t know what you don’t know and none of us know.  So….I am excited about the possibilities. Younger coaches  who can relate to players , who have passion, and likely have been humble in learning from other coaches to get them  to this point. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, rws69 said:

Need to add Drew Svoboda as associate head coach and special teams coordinator - Texas roots coming from staff at Alabama.

Footballscoop.com 

Sources: North Texas to fill coordinator role from Alabama staff

Alabama special teams guru Drew Svoboda is set to return to Texas as a member of Eric Morris's new staff, sources tell FootballScoop.

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2022 at 10:31 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

Updated 12/20/2022

POSITION -NAME - 2022 TEAM/POSITION 
HC/OC- Eric Morris - Washington State/OC

DC- Matt Caponi - Iowa State/ Corners 

QB- Sean Brophy - Washington State/Offensive Grad Assistant/QB

RB-Patrick Cobbs -North Texas/RB

WR- Jordan Davis - Washington State/Offensive Analyst/WR 

TE- Chris Gilbert - Texas/Director of High School Relations

OL-

DL-

LB-

DB-

ST- Drew Svoboda - Alabama/ Sr. Special Assistant to the Head Coach

Chief of Staff - Rolando Surita - Washington State/ Offensive High School Scout

So no OC at all??????

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Moobs said:

@TheReal_jayD I noticed you now have HC and OC combined and attributed to Eric. Can you confirm that Eric will be serving the OC role too?  

He said he’ll be calling the plays and all the guys on the offensive staff from WSU have been with him since UIW. He might hire an OC but it’ll be in name only.

• Upvote 2

Seems like if you think of programs that compete with us...maybe they say they don't....but still keep an eye on us....because of the sleeping giant thing.....but they hate us secretly but still watch us....(you know who they are.....SMU is paying attention FYI.....)

They are paying attention with these staff hires.....

If I were a UTSA grad and I was checking this stuff while on break at McDonald's (not a shot...McDonald's is a wonderful establishment with great people...very successful) I would be concerned....because their coach is eventually going to have to bring a QB in that the previous guy didn't recruit. (What an amazing living he's made off that guy BTW) They have been dominating CUSA recruiting but have to be nervous about a guy with the infrastructure already in place in Denton.....

Just sayin.....

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just conjecture here as I have no way of knowing. But it seems to me that the difference in Seth’s hiring of coaches and Eric’s process is that Eric is not afraid to surround himself with people who are at least equally qualified with him or maybe more qualified.  It was recommended to Seth a year ago that he at least bring in a coupe of analysts like the bigger programs do and he refused. Seems he wanted to be the smartest one in the room.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

20 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

He said he will be calling the plays.  The OC will be in name only.  He will help but Coach Eric is calling the plays. 

An OC does more than just call plays guys. Its important to have one even if only "in name". It would be be criminal not to hire an OC. Our staff should have the same number of people the average P5s have including off field analyst. We getting big fish but the boats not full yet keep em coming.  

2 minutes ago, herewego said:

An OC does more than just call plays guys. Its important to have one even if only "in name". It would be be criminal not to hire an OC. Our staff should have the same number of people the average P5s have including off field analyst. We getting big fish but the boats not full yet keep em coming.  

He might use that "position" to place a coach in another area

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

He might use that "position" to place a coach in another area

See that's concerning though, he's a first time fbs head coach. Seems like a lot on his plate that could have been mitigated if that's the decision. I'll support either way just feels like that would be his first misfire as HC here.     

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1