North Texas Football Staff Tracker

TheReal_jayD

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

People cry about Seth’s lack of recruiting and then want to whine when his primary recruiter isn’t retained by the new head coach. Yall make my head spin.

For the record, I only had a problem with SL's QB recruiting.

Luke had a great energy to him and his SM presence.  Best wishes to The Dude.

Tucker%20Carlson-1017-GQ-FAJB05-01.jpg

• Upvote 6

40 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I'm excited for the Gilbert hire, but kind of bummed that Coach Mayes won't be coaching TEs. I'm assuming he won't be on the staff next year. Hats off to Coach Mayes for turning the TE position into a strength around here.

Gilbert hire?  Did I miss something?

Edit: Never mind.  Found it on Footballscoop.com

North Texas: Pete Thamel tweets that Texas director of high school relations Chris Gilbert is expected to become the new assistant head coach / tight ends coach at North Texas.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Gilbert hire?  Did I miss something?

Edit: Never mind.  Found it on Footballscoop.com

North Texas: Pete Thamel tweets that Texas director of high school relations Chris Gilbert is expected to become the new assistant head coach / tight ends coach at North Texas.

Also 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

My main takes right now:

• I like the Sean Brophy hire a lot and think he will be very valuable as a QB coach because he has experience playing in the system AND implementing the system. I expect this to be a significant advantage for our QB room as the system is implemented here. Brophy and Morris will be on the same page from Day 1 because they've already been on the same page for many years.
  • I like the Gilbert hire a lot for reasons others have already covered so I won't repeat.
  • Retaining Cobbs was a slam dunk and (in my opinion) shows Morris has put his ear to the ground to learn about the nuances of the situation he's taking over and is taking action upon that information.

Thus far, I think Morris is making intelligent and strategic decisions that are the right ones for UNT. If he maintains this and brings in a stud DC with a stellar defensive staff, I think he'll knock his first couple of months on the job out of the park.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

My main takes right now:

• I like the Sean Brophy hire a lot and think he will be very valuable as a QB coach because he has experience playing in the system AND implementing the system. I expect this to be a significant advantage for our QB room as the system is implemented here. Brophy and Morris will be on the same page from Day 1 because they've already been on the same page for many years.
  • I like the Gilbert hire a lot for reasons others have already covered so I won't repeat.
  • Retaining Cobbs was a slam dunk and (in my opinion) shows Morris has put his ear to the ground to learn about the nuances of the situation he's taking over and is taking action upon that information.

Thus far, I think Morris is making intelligent and strategic decisions that are the right ones for UNT. If he maintains this and brings in a stud DC with a stellar defensive staff, I think he'll knock his first couple of months on the job out of the park.

Gagree.  I’d also love to see our fanbase show up with a great crowd to the Spring game to show support for all of this.  Tailgates and party times. 

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

My main takes right now:

Man you stated this exactly as it should be.  I get the feeling that Morris laid out a lot of these ideas to Jared in his interview and he is now able to implement.  I am excited about him as a coach and leader.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

My main takes right now:

I agree on all but the Brophy point. He's been with Morris 3 years, not many. Two as a backup QB and one as a GA assistant.  So, only a couple years playing and none in implementing.  If you like this then you must have been thrilled with Quinn in charge of our QBs.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

I agree on all but the Brophy point. He's been with Morris 3 years, not many. Two as a backup QB and one as a GA assistant.  So, only a couple years playing and none in implementing.  If you like this then you must have been thrilled with Quinn in charge of our QBs.

Implementing is a lot about understanding and communicating.   I trust that Morris has had enough time with him to know if his strengths lie there.   

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1