North Texas Football Staff Tracker

TheReal_jayD

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Honestly would be fine if he kept Mayes, Cobbs, Petrilli. Those position groups all played well this season.

Seems to me position coaches are not as crucial as long as you have good coaches at that position. Coordinators are a different matter.

• Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I don't understand this sentence.  What is the difference between a position coach and a "coach at that position"?

What I meant to say is, if we already have excellent coaches in those positions, it makes sense, to me anyway, to leave them in place for continuity. I believe coordinators are more important to get the right person in place.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don’t be surprised if Morris doesn’t keep anyone or bring any former UNT players/coaches back.   He has his own network & guys he trusts.

I agree. I love having alumni on staff but it should 100% be Morris’ choice. I have zero problem firing the entire staff as long as Morris wins.

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, EastTexasMG said:

I love the energy that Claude Mathis has. If we’re going to add a local HS coach or two, he’s at the top of my list. He also has 3 sons on the team that just won the state championship.

His son just de-committed from us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Pissed 1

13 minutes ago, EastTexasMG said:

I love the energy that Claude Mathis has. If we’re going to add a local HS coach or two, he’s at the top of my list. He also has 3 sons on the team that just won the state championship.

Morris said in another interview he wanted to connect with high schools including possibly hiring a couple coaches.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This has been a very popular move last few years. See Jeff Traylor Staff at UTSA, Chad Morris and Sonny Dykes staff at SMU and even Matt Rhule at Baylor. Bring in current TXHSFB coaches for postion coaches roles. It has paid HUGE dividends in recruiting. 

Right. Nervous posters can set their Dodge trauma to the side for position coaches, it’s not the same thing.  Major recruiting advantage with their networks plus, high energy guys who are very connected to how these young guys are wired. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1