Morris would have won that game

Tom McKrackin

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I thought coach Bennett did a great job getting the team ready to play. Coaches don't throw picks and they drop passes that hit them in the hands. I don't think this loss was on the coaches, it was a lack of execution.

A lack of execution is not getting in position to get the ball in your hands. Dropping or not holding on is a lack of will.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

A lack of execution is not getting in position to get the ball in your hands. Dropping or not holding on is a lack of will.

Yeah every wide receiver that drops a ball says to themselves before it gets to them “you know, I really don’t want to catch this pass”  

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Yeah every wide receiver that drops a ball says to themselves before air gets to them “you know, I really don’t want to catch this pass”  

You know, long ago the "experts" came up with a term that describes the situation "Alligator Arms". It's not a thought process, it's a subconscious reaction. BTW, I didn't coin the term. I just observe it from time to time. The term I always use for a WR that is oblivious to consequences is "he made the catch whilst wearing the DB....or two"

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You know, long ago the "experts" came up with a term that describes the situation "Alligator Arms". It's not a thought process, it's a subconscious reaction. BTW, I didn't coin the term. I just observe it from time to time. The term I always use for a WR that is oblivious to consequences is "he made the catch whilst wearing the DB....or two"

Lack of will and lack of focus are two very different things. The lizard mind can easily lose focus but a lack of will implies an entirely different thing. 

• Upvote 5

Seems to me that all through Aune's career here is has been a 'Magical Mystery Tour' between him and his receivers.  Who threw the pick?  Who ran the wrong route?  Who makes a great catch?  You never knew what was next.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

With an interim coach, nearly beat a 9 win team that is an established successful program. Hopefully Coach M can get a structure in place to get our players over the top in these situations. New coach is not taking over a disaster this time.

Yeah, he will have a much better QB. Let's face it, this loss, just like Memphis, was on Aune.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I did see Morris on the very end of the sidelines around the 20 yard line in the first quarter.  He was talking to several of the administrative type people on the sidelines.  He was not interacting with the players or current coaches.  He didn't really seem to be watching the game.  

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4

9 hours ago, Matt said:

I thought coach Bennett did a great job getting the team ready to play. Coaches don't throw picks and they don't drop passes that hit them in the hands. I don't think this loss was on the coaches, it was a lack of execution.

Generally I agree.  However, what I think the coaches are responsible for is designing an offense that is unbalanced and really had no answers when we fell behind.  That’s been a problem all year.  I think they gave up on the run on the drive that started with three and a half minutes left.  Our downfield passing game is too easy to defend and we really have no mid or short yardage go to pass plays or a go to receiver.  Too much rotation at the receiver positions.  We have to feed some of these guys when they make a play.  Instead every time a receiver makes a catch and run he comes off the field for a breather.  Then we may not see another ball thrown his way for a quarter.  

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

With 1:33 before the half at mid field they should have called time OUT!      Over all game …. Great job coaches! Thank you.

I didn't understand that lack of a time out when according to the announcer we had several [3?] left. Then Boise call time out with seconds left[16?] backed up in their own territory.

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

With 1:33 before the half at mid field they should have called time OUT!      Over all game …. Great job coaches! Thank you.

Hind sight’s 20/20, but as it played out, had they called a time out, BS gets the ball back with more time to do something with it before the half rather than taking a knee.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Eppie96 said:

I did see Morris on the very end of the sidelines around the 20 yard line in the first quarter.  He was talking to several of the administrative type people on the sidelines. He was not interacting with the players or current coaches.

I don't think it would've looked good for him to interact with them during the game. Don't take away from Bennett and this season's coaches and players.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Was Morris at the game last night?  I saw in couple of bowl games the new coaches were on the sideline walking around but not coaching.

I bet if not the field he was in the stands watching seeing what has to work with.  I sure the first thing he said was do we have QB?

He was there and meeting people and doing interviews. In this case I believe he was being respectful and keeping hands-off. Every change is handled differently based on the situation. I believe they said in the Louisville and Cincinnati game Scott Satterfield (leaving Louisville to go to Cinci) did not even attend the game. 

• Upvote 1

Phil Bennett coached a very good game all things considered.

Boise State has just a dominating ground game. The Jeanty kid was almost impossible to bring down minus KD Davis.

And Green rushed for 119 yards with his big 6"6" frame. Made it look effortless on some of those runs.

Boise State has a good kicking game too.

That is hard to beat without playing mistake free football which NT did minus the interceptions.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Hind sight’s 20/20, but as it played out, had they called a time out, BS gets the ball back with more time to do something with it before the half rather than taking a knee.  

People already forget how the CCG vs UTSA ended at the half. Instead of running the clock out we tried to move it down the field, only to have UTSA get it back and score. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Yeah, he will have a much better QB. Let's face it, this loss, just like Memphis, was on Aune.

I think you are being a little harsh on Aune.  The drops are a factor, but they are a bigger factor when he throws interceptions and off target so often that the on target passes become so valuable.  He threw some accurate balls to receivers getting hit.  Even with the drops what does this game look like without the 2 interceptions?  Most likely those “dropped” passes aren’t the called plays with a lead.

Morris will be given a team that is loaded with talent minis a good QB…if we had one last night we would have beaten them by 20. Morris is maybe too young, it’s going to be tentative at best, but that’s what we have; lets hope he grows into the job, better work double time in the next couple of years…recruit, hire, train and develop should be his goal everyday, then maybe he might make it! No more than 3 years this time; we’re here to compete? No, we’re here to win!