You want to sit out of a bowl .....

El Paso Eagle

I don't think this stuff is ad hoc, pick-what-you-want, rewards.  I thought all of this was directly tied to bowl participation.

If he was a big part of why they got there, he was a big part of their game plan.  Any nice fluff we catch from the media or coaches is a nice high road, but still a big blow.  I think we can accept that the game has become a sort of wild-west, take-care-of-yourself arena, and this is testing those limits.

The rise of the digital era showed us years ago, just because you can do something does not make it okay.  I feel like the same can be said here.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, NT93 said:

Nothing like telling someone that their OPINION is wrong.  I bow to your superior OPINION.

But here’s a FACT:  Without fans, there is no college football, so yeah, he kind of does owe the fans to some degree.

Another FACT: you are clearly saying yourself that he’s being selfish, but somehow you can’t see it.

The rest of the world does pro sports development without college sports. It's not needed. The reason it exists here is there's too much money involved to let it go by the wayside.

I don't view him as selfish because I don't view him as being required to serve the fans like y'all apparently do.

Anyways, I won't answer again. There's a difference in thinking here. You're upset a guy has personal responsibilities and got a free trip and goodies at the expense of his school, none of which is your problem. You'll be fine.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

7 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yes, your point is clear. It's just not a.good one. 

He can hyperextend his knee playing pickup basketball and shred his ACL. 

Blow out his achilles doing agility drills. 

Get ________ injury at any point in time doing ________ activity. The list is infinite. 

It wouldn't have hurt him had he went out there and carried the ball a little. He took the trip, at the minimum he could've had a candid conversation with the staff. Such as, "I don't want anyone to know about this conversation, my teammates included, but I would like to be on a pitch count (10-12 carries)." End of conversation. He still gets to go on the trip, not disappoint his alum, be there for his teammates that he claims to "love" and go out a winner. 

The only part of this I dislike is his last minute withdraw. There were better ways to go about it. 

But do you know that's not how it went down? Do you know what his coaches told him? Maybe his teammates and coaches told him to worry about the draft and they were ok with him sitting out? Maybe they just flat out don't care? I haven't seen a single post anywhere on UAB Twitter indicating anybody cares other than fans who placed bets and feared their money was at stake.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread is nothing but old guys yelling at clouds… 

the player sat out, who knows really knows if this was planned and communicated to the team before or not… the kid did way more for UAB than he got back, and taking him on a flight to the Bahamas, and that is not costing the team anything since the bowls put up the costs of the rooms etc… 

the dude laid it out on the field this past year and ran the ball and took a damn pounding. Allow the guy to enjoy the Bahamas… plenty of other people on this board have done things to take advantage of situations on the way out, so stop being upset over soemthing that does not affect anyone remotely close to this board

edit—just to add on as well.. no college football team is required to keep these guy each year, these guys compete each year for a 1 year renewal of their scholarship… the university can drop them at any time.. the idea the guy getting his body beaten up and taking a pounding, while a bunch of forum posters complain about a college kids free Bahamas trip, what a joke

Edited by ExADofficeIntern
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

23 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Consider this, you are an employer and you paid for some employees to go on a work trip to the Bahamas and then one of them once their airfare and hotel was covered just quits having just used your funding for a free Caribbean vacation. You’d be cool with that?

There is little to no LOYALTY in American business going both ways.  It has always been about power.  So if you are firing what appears to be a solid performing leader within your organization that their direct subordinates love, I have no issue with it.  I have seen historically when employers had unchecked power they did morally reprehensible things.  Like I said only people considering bringing this QB to their team should care.   When I don't consider an employee a part of my organization's future and don't value or consider their input about my organization's path after they leave, I would be a fool to trust them.   Respect and loyalty should go both way in college sports.

I am having a very hard time with this whole thread reeking of hypocrisy.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, rcade said:

I wouldn't say they owe fans nothing. They may owe us a lot less than we think, but the sport they play generates massive revenue because millions of us watch it. And because of NIL they can now enjoy a little of that sweet sweet cheddar while still in college.

To put it another way, leaving after a single year is a smart career move for a lot of college basketball stars, but does any fan like the sport today as much as when staying three or four years was the norm?

I think your observation flys in the face of "colleges are the entertainment draw" argument.  🤷🏾‍♂️

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

This thread is nothing but old guys yelling at clouds… 

the player sat out, who knows really knows if this was planned and communicated to the team before or not… the kid did way more for UAB than he got back, and taking him on a flight to the Bahamas, and that is not costing the team anything since the bowls put up the costs of the rooms etc… 

the dude laid it out on the field this past year and ran the ball and took a damn pounding. Allow the guy to enjoy the Bahamas… plenty of other people on this board have done things to take advantage of situations on the way out, so stop being upset over soemthing that does not affect anyone remotely close to this board

edit—just to add on as well.. no college football team is required to keep these guy each year, these guys compete each year for a 1 year renewal of their scholarship… the university can drop them at any time.. the idea the guy getting his body beaten up and taking a pounding, while a bunch of forum posters complain about a college kids free Bahamas trip, what a joke

Agreed. Bunch of old geezers looking for something to get mad at. No one knows what really went on behind the scenes. If he’d been hurt he still would travel. Who gives a crap if he made a last minute business decision. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

9 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The rest of the world does pro sports development without college sports. It's not needed. The reason it exists here is there's too much money involved to let it go by the wayside.

I don't view him as selfish because I don't view him as being required to serve the fans like y'all apparently do.

Anyways, I won't answer again. There's a difference in thinking here. You're upset a guy has personal responsibilities and got a free trip and goodies at the expense of his school, none of which is your problem. You'll be fine.

It’s not about serving your fans, it’s about serving your team.  

I get it.  His teammates don’t care because they’re like-minded.  It’s a selfish, look out for #1 society.  This is just a microcosm of that.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

On 12/16/2022 at 9:58 PM, rcade said:

Don't know why round two would be your cutoff. A lot of players drafted lower still sign a fat multi-year contract they have a chance to earn if they play well.

Brock Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant this year and he got a four-year $3.7 million deal with a $77,000 signing bonus.

Yeah guy. Thanks for proving my point. Brock Purdy didn’t sit out. If you’re a fringe draft pick you need to play…if you’re going to get drafted in the first two rounds there is no need for you to play in the damn Bahamas Bowl or whatever. If you’re a 5th or 6th round pick potentially and you sit out you are getting bad advice. I’m not saying anything revolutionary here people. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

29 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Thanks for proving my point. Brock Purdy didn’t sit out. If you’re a fringe draft pick you need to play…if you’re going to get drafted in the first two rounds there is no need for you to play in the damn Bahamas Bowl or whatever.

I was talking about something else entirely but let's roll with it.

Brock Purdy throwing one touchdown and one pick with 204 yards and losing doesn't seem like a draft position changer to me. 

But who knows? Maybe John Lynch flipped open his Jitterbug that day and said "Move the Cheez-It bowl quarterback up to 262nd position on our draft board."

• Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2

Guess I qualify as an old geezer but I maintain my stance which are based off lessons my parents taught me. Two wrongs don’t make a right, don’t quit on your team, be accountable and tell the truth. 
Sorry, but today is “all about me” and I don’t especially care for it. 
Regarding KD, I love the young man and hate to see him injured but he wasn’t getting drafted. He was a great LB for us but he is too small and too slow for the NFL. Sorry if that hurts someone’s feelings. He was listed at 6’0” and 229 lbs. which means he is probably 5’10” and 220 lbs. Again, I love KD, how he represented our university with class and how he played the game. 
In the end, we aren’t all going to agree, which is fine, but instead of labeling people as “Old men yelling at clouds”, “old geezers” or “young punks” how about trying to understand another’s point of view?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1