Massachusetts (12/17/22)

CMJ

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Can I say that Sissoko was in there for 2 minutes only, but I thought he did well and I wouldn't mind seeing him for 2-5 more minutes

Agreed. He looks like a beast and has a smooth shot, if we can get 5-6 points a game out of him we'd be in a really good place. Would like to see him more as well as Christian Moore, who's looked great the few minutes we've seen him. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, akriesman said:

This team is really good.......again.    Mac just keeps plugging and playing different guys every season and it works.

The man is special and I hope he is here for a long, long time (wishful thinking ?).

I would much rather throw money at him than NIl money at football players, but that’s just me. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

by DoctorJ » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:41 pm

We were outplayed by a lot. They are a rock solid squad that is currently playing well.

They actually only had two players in double figures. We turned the ball over too much and they capitalized. Our backup pointguards are going to have to improve as the season progresses. Right now they should expect to be outclassed against most A10 teams. Getting a healthy Noah back is going to be critical to our success in conference.

Even with Noah, we probably would have lost this game. Our shooting guards didn't offer any offense today. WTF with TJ?? At this stage, we should expect more from him. I wonder if he is fully healthy.

We were ineffective at the 5. Kante and Wildens both having an off day on the same day is Achilles heel number two.

I'm not going bridge jumping, yet, but Frank has issues to deal with and none of them are names Brandon.

Still learning by losing...
Refuse To Lose!!!

Link to more umASS talk on UNT game:  https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16826&start=105

Edited by cousin oliver

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just a hunch, but I think Matt stone being on the court is really good evidence that Grant will give you PT if he likes your effort.

No, effort is not enough. Stone had a decent day but he has been a major liability for most of the season.  Stone belongs on the bench and should only be playing if one of our better guards gets in foul trouble.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 9

30 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I would much rather throw Monday at him than NIl money at football players, but that’s just me. 

I laughed at first and they went....huh.     Throwing money at Grant is a near sure thing.    It's not like he is recruiting superior talent.  He just recruits guys that fit his system and play hard.    Those guys have not been part of a NIL bidding war.    

I just hope Grant is super happy here.  It would help to pack the pit more.    

I will say this though.    If Grant moves on, I do feel that Ross Hodge could keep this roll going.  The system is working consistently and Hodge is a big part of that.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3

This may be nitpick, but I really wish Huntsberry would embrace his talent more.  His ability to beat his guy off the dribble and penetrate is something we sorely need.  I feel like I don't see enough, could be wrong.

Having someone that can do that can offset a bad shooting night.  Not hitting threes? Penetrate and draw the foul.  A couple times tonight I saw him pull back for a mid range jumper (missed), and I'm thinking "why not finish that under the basket and get the contact?"

If we don't have that, and Abou continues to struggle, this offense seems limited or out of sync.  Borderline miserable to watch.

• Upvote 4