Morris Vision on What North Texas Can Be

TheReal_jayD

13 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Looks like a big recruiting win for Coach Morris tonight!

I'm super happy he is coming. But he was already committed under the previous regime. Morris was just smart enough to reoffer and let him know we still want him. There's two kids out in SOC that need the same treatment and he might as well stop in DeSoto while he's out there...

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

I hope “the best group of five *job*” isn’t the vision he articulated so well during the interview.  That’s a vision for the head coach position, not the football program.  I want to know what vision he shared during the interview.  Where does he see the program in a year, in three, in five and what is his plan to get us there?  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 3
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, keith said:

I hope “the best group of five *job*” isn’t the vision he articulated so well during the interview.  That’s a vision for the head coach position, not the football program.  I want to know what vision he shared during the interview.  Where does he see the program in a year, in three, in five and what is his plan to get us there?  

Awesome Will Ferrell GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

Bro.. Semantics.   If he said the best G5 "program" would you have been okay?  From where I am sitting program = job. Personally I want him to turn this into the most sought after P5 job in the country.

Also the best G5 job will be in the playoffs going forward so that's fun

• Upvote 5

According to AD Mosely and I quote, "From early in our process Eric was able to clearly articulate his vision for UNT and what we can do in the short term to build momentum as we transition to the American Athletic Conference" and no one wants to know what he articulated so clearly?  This is what Mosely led with in his announcement and was apparently something that separated Coach Morris from a deep and talented pool of candidates.  Personally, I'd like to know what he said. 

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 6

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

What reasons made you not like the choice?

In complete transparency, it felt like the safe/low bar kind of hire. Aside from the UIW experience he really doesn't add more for the role than SL did.

When firing Seth, more than anything, I wanted a coach who could re-invigorate the fan base and potential recruits. The "Sexy" hire to get us excited.

I don't hate this hire, but I wasn't enthusiastic about it. Overall I like the guy, but didn't fit my personal expectation of the trajectory we needed to take. But he's here, he's our coach, and has full support from me until he doesn't.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Udomann said:

In complete transparency, it felt like the safe/low bar kind of hire. Aside from the UIW experience he really doesn't add more for the role than SL did.

When firing Seth, more than anything, I wanted a coach who could re-invigorate the fan base and potential recruits. The "Sexy" hire to get us excited.

I don't hate this hire, but I wasn't enthusiastic about it. Overall I like the guy, but didn't fit my personal expectation of the trajectory we needed to take. But he's here, he's our coach, and has full support from me until he doesn't.

It amazes me how some down play his experience as a head coach and his find and development of Ward and other qbs. Take out Mc's time at Ark State and I'm sure you were down on that hire. Sarkisian was hired because he had shown he could develop Qb's. This is my hope for Morriss. GMG

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Bro.. Semantics.   If he said the best G5 "program" would you have been okay?  From where I am sitting program = job. Personally I want him to turn this into the most sought after P5 job in the country.

Yes come on @keith I am just as skeptical of this hire as anyone (my favorites were Catheral & Keeler)🤷🏽‍♂️ .  But you are being a little too nit-picky.  I would like to know what he said exactly also but I don’t think it would change how I feel about his hire.  I have no doubt about his X & O acumen.  Being the football administrator, developing and maximizing relationships that help us in recruiting that aren’t on your payroll is the biggest challenge here.  You can’t talk your way in to me believing strongly you can do that.  Especially after our experience with Coach Mac here.

And @All About UNTis absolutely right.  The historical problem with our program since Fry left are inconsistent and often low aspirations.  That is why I advocate for big swings getting known commodities here to coach, the bigger name the better.  We should be where Cincinnati and Louisville are today.   We have a lot in common with those 2 programs.  There is no reason we couldn’t be in the P5 or soon to join one other than bad performances and EARNED local apathy.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1