UCLA gets the formal OK to move - Does this open up MWC/Pac12 moves?

El Paso Eagle

And to add a California touch - Taxing the move

The board also approved an amendment that established what regents called the “Berkeley Tax” that will range from $2 million to $10 million subject to board approval. The tax on UCLA would serve as a subsidy for Cal, helping the Bears offset an expected reduction in revenue caused by the Bruins’ departure.

• Haha 3

• El Paso Eagle changed the title to UCLA gets the formal OK to move - Does this open up MWC/Pac12 moves?
11 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Cal and Stanford will never play in a conference with Fresno State or SDSU. The PAC is just going to stay with the teams they got. 

They can say that only until other PAC schools leave.  If the PAC media rights deal comes in at say $25 mil per school and the Big 12 can offer $40 mil, the 4-corners schools might switch.  The PAC6 won't work.

6 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

No chance the PAC would take Fresno with their near no existent academic standards. 

🤪 Academic Standards?  Well athletically they are committing suicide as a conference.  I was hoping this utterly ridiculous money grab move would be stopped.  Flying Teams during the middle of the week 2 times zones away is great for the student athletes academics. 😜  You have to laugh to not be depressed about college sports being run like for profit semi-pro leagues.  That is part of the reason I take a big issue with the criticism of these young men approaching their careers like free agent for profit labor because it appears everyone in decision making positions are pure capitalist when it come to making decision about the sports.   If Title 9 was less strict I think half of the current FBS programs would not exist at the D-1 level or above intramural.  Also I think this may be the end of UCLA Football having relevancy.   I just feel for the non-revenue sport athletes at these programs who want the education these institutions offer without the stress of ridiculous 3 time zone travel in semester for conference games.  If the leadership of the NCAA had any morals they would all resign their positions calling out the institution for the new levels of hypocrisy they have achieved in the last decade or so. 

This weakens the Pac12, but I believe they'll stay pat for a bit.  When the 4 corner schools bolt or the Northwest schools move on, that will be the deathknell of the PAC-12 as we know it.  I'd expect the left-behinds to take the majority of the MWC.  The PAC-12 name, right now, has the value as a P5 conference.

This assumes they care about travel time.  It could be that the PAC quits caring about the Pacific, and just throws open the doors.  In that case, you'll see something like a land rush as the G5s scramble to get in.  PAC-USA?

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

This weakens the Pac12, but I believe they'll stay pat for a bit.  When the 4 corner schools bolt or the Northwest schools move on, that will be the deathknell of the PAC-12 as we know it.  I'd expect the left-behinds to take the majority of the MWC.  The PAC-12 name, right now, has the value as a P5 conference.

This assumes they care about travel time.  It could be that the PAC quits caring about the Pacific, and just throws open the doors.  In that case, you'll see something like a land rush as the G5s scramble to get in.  PAC-USA?

So you take teams from the PAC, MWC, and American and you get the PAC-MAN conference

8-Bit Love GIF by PAC-MAN™

• Oh Boy! 1

11 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Flying Teams during the middle of the week 2 times zones away is great for the student athletes academics

3 time zones in a lot of cases. 

And as stated previously, PAC will never allow a school like Fresno in, and SDSU is a long long shot. It would be interesting to see if they try to pull in some WCC schools for basketball.