A List of chores Wren left Jared

Tom McKrackin

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m going to rephrase the Hedlund discussion into a football question. If Morris wins the AAC several years in a row and loses to Number 1 seed Georgia or Alabama in the first round of the new expanded playoffs each year, would you fire him?

No you wouldn’t. Just like I wouldn’t fire JH. But we are stuck in purgatory of never being the best (or even close to the best). But yet still having a good program. And for most of us, that is good enough.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Travis said:

Quick counter is weak. Long ball is the easiest to defend. Which is why we never even get a shot off in those games. You can’t really argue with what has happened. 
and for what it’s worth, we don’t really have strikers. We probably haven’t had one since 2000-2002. 
building from the back is what champion teams do. No teams go deep into the tournament that are just long ball style. They all get knocked out in the first round. Argue all you want, but it is what it is. 

Arkansas Razorbacks are considered by most the top direct team out there for women’s soccer! This year they were one goal shy of advancing to the Final Four! They lost 1-0 to the #1 seed in thetournament Florida State in the Elite Eight! Game was in Tallahassee!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, blurbeard said:

Arkansas Razorbacks are considered by most the top direct team out there for women’s soccer! This year they were one goal shy of advancing to the Final Four! They lost 1-0 to the #1 seed in thetournament Florida State in the Elite Eight! Game was in Tallahassee!

The three games I saw from Arkansas they were anything but long ball. They possessed well. Built up and made creative runs while controlling much of the game. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Travis said:

The three games I saw from Arkansas they were anything but long ball. They possessed well. Built up and made creative runs while controlling much of the game. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You have absolutely no clue on Arkansas! They have mastered the direct play, ask any coach, parent or fan that has played them! 🤦‍♂️

Edited by blurbeard
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, blurbeard said:

You have absolutely no clue on Arkansas! They have mastered the direct play, ask any coach, parent or fan that has to play them! 🤦‍♂️

No. I don’t.  Why would I? Never claimed I did either. I have a clue about the games I saw them. And while they did press their players high and were direct a lot more.  They were still dominate with a possession and better movement. 

What I do know is year after year I make the same ‘bold’ prediction on this board come tournament time and year after year I am proved a prophet. Check the past on the athletics board. It ain’t no secret. I’d love to be wrong on this. I’d gladly be wrong. It’s too great a burden to be right on this all the damn time. But it is a cross I will gladly take… for the sake of the peoples.
Our style of play never translates well on that stage. We don’t have the players and it is the easiest to defend. 
Every tournament game we have played in, and I mean everyone… we shell our midfield to support our d, abandon proper runs and try to send the long through ball to a waiting forward or two who has a MASSIVE  gap between them and a slow moving slow building midfield which leaves these forwards on an island giving them no real threat or opportunity. And surprise surprise we don’t even get a shot off all game. Meanwhile they just set their backs back a bit more keep winning balls or dispossessing our girls that are on said island and reloading over and over again. It never works but it is our style. Especially in those games. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Travis said:

Quick counter is weak. Long ball is the easiest to defend. Which is why we never even get a shot off in those games. You can’t really argue with what has happened. 
and for what it’s worth, we don’t really have strikers. We probably haven’t had one since 2000-2002. 
building from the back is what champion teams do. No teams go deep into the tournament that are just long ball style. They all get knocked out in the first round. Argue all you want, but it is what it is. 

I assume you’re talking about Marilyn Marin, who was killing it when I was in school.  I saw a few of her goals!  She was a generational player.  That’s like saying we haven’t had a Defensive Tackle since Booger graduated, even though we’ve had quite a few really good DTs!   But, speaking of that 2015 team:    
https://meangreensports.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster/rachel-holden/2255

Rachel was a great striker!

And honestly, I don’t know enough about women’s collegiate soccer outside of UNT, so I don’t really know what style the other teams play.  You might be right in that all teams that advance in the NCAA tourney are possession teams… but I doubt it.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I assume you’re talking about Marilyn Marin, who was killing it when I was in school.  I saw a few of her goals!  She was a generational player.  That’s like saying we haven’t had a Defensive Tackle since Booger graduated, even though we’ve had quite a few really good DTs!   But, speaking of that 2015 team:    
https://meangreensports.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster/rachel-holden/2255

Rachel was a great striker!

And honestly, I don’t know enough about women’s collegiate soccer outside of UNT, so I don’t really know what style the other teams play.  You might be right in that all teams that advance in the NCAA tourney are possession teams… but I doubt it.

You are correct. I am talking about Marin. She was the only true striker I believe we have had. 
Holden was a good forward.  We were fortunate to have a player like her. 

Edited by Travis

3 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I’m going to rephrase the Hedlund discussion into a football question. If Morris wins the AAC several years in a row and loses to Number 1 seed Georgia or Alabama in the first round of the new expanded playoffs each year, would you fire him?

Oh, I must have missed that Texas Tech was ranked #1 when we played them in Lubbock in the first round. I drive up for the game. Most boring two hours I have spent supporting a North Texas team. Never felt like we played to win, but just sat back and hope to catch them off guard. 

Here’s me football analogy. We just fired SL because he reached his peak and couldn’t move us to the next level. Hedlund has done the same with our soccer program. Our dominance is about to come to an end because of the move up in conferences equals an increase in competition. His system worked in the Sun Belt and early years of CUSA. I think he is now at the point where we have to advance for him to stay. Otherwise, find a coach that can get us over the hump. 

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Oh, I must have missed that Texas Tech was ranked #1 when we played them in Lubbock in the first round. I drive up for the game. Most boring two hours I have spent supporting a North Texas team. Never felt like we played to win, but just sat back and hope to catch them off guard. 

Here’s me football analogy. We just fired SL because he reached his peak and couldn’t move us to the next level. Hedlund has done the same with our soccer program. Our dominance is about to come to an end because of the move up in conferences equals an increase in competition. His system worked in the Sun Belt and early years of CUSA. I think he is now at the point where we have to advance for him to stay. Otherwise, find a coach that can get us over the hump. 

Only problem with your analogy is SL won zero titles in CUSA, JH has won a record 8 that is not only clearly the most of all the UNT sports but is a record with all the soccer programs that have ever played in CUSA! UNT soccer holds that championship record over Memphis, Central Florida, South Florida, SMU and Rice! Not understanding the hate from a few of you towards JH when several programs at our great school haven’t even sniffed one CUSA title but for some reason those programs are not mentioned! All this guy does is win championships here and he has made us proud to be apart of UNT, especially over the years when most programs were really down! 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, blurbeard said:

Only problem with your analogy is SL won zero titles in CUSA, JH has won a record 8 that is not only clearly the most of all the UNT sports but is a record with all the soccer programs that have ever played in CUSA! UNT soccer holds that championship record over Memphis, Central Florida, South Florida, SMU and Rice! Not understanding the hate from a few of you towards JH when several programs at our great school haven’t even sniffed one CUSA title but for some reason those programs are not mentioned! All this guy does is win championships here and he has made us proud to be apart of UNT, especially over the years when most programs were really down! 

Again, not discrediting his accomplishments, but are you happy winning conference, getting shutout in the first round of the NCAA's and going home?  If that is all you wish for our program, then so be it.  I am ready to see our ladies advance in the NCAA's.  That is the next step.  We should always aspire to the next step in every sport.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Travis said:

What I do know is year after year I make the same ‘bold’ prediction on this board come tournament time and year after year I am proved a prophet. Check the past on the athletics board. It ain’t no secret. I’d love to be wrong on this. I’d gladly be wrong. It’s too great a burden to be right on this all the damn time. But it is a cross I will gladly take… for the sake of the peoples.

There are, like, 10 people who care enough about this.

Can you elaborate on this "burden" you speak of?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I just want someone from the administration to clearly articulate the short and longe range expectation(s)/vision for all revenue generating sports/coaches. Though I have become increasingly disappointed with Jalie’s performance, I think it would be difficult to fire her, and others, when we have absolutely no defined standards of success and frequently reward mediocrity.

As I have mentioned on here before, she is on pace to equal and/or exceed  the performance of a recently inducted Hall of Fame Coach. We have a plethora of other examples of average to bad players and coaches in our Hall of Fame. This ritual continues annual without modification. 

Sanction some committee to address this madness. The Hall selection process appears to involve favoritism and politics; devoid of true honor. 

How did we allow the “Hit 6” as a measuring stick of success? We play 12 games. Or, extend coaches who take us to a bowl,  when about 50 exist. Why do we allow media to dictate to us success; based on misleading stats? 

I know I’m rambling but frustrated with yet another coach/ AD hire when we don’t know what we want.

I’m not a targeted donor but I know I would hesitate with yet another capital campaign request without clear performance objective. Mostly to buy some one out.

Maybe I’m just the only one in the dark about “the plan”. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

There are, like, 10 people who care enough about this.

Can you elaborate on this "burden" you speak of?

Listen here bucko, this yoke is heavy but if putting the team on my shoulders is what gets us to the finish line then that is what must be done. I am the hero gomeangreen deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Plus, I do it for the kids. All ten of them. 

• Upvote 4

I have read the anti-Hedlund threads every year about long ball, etc.

I still believe it is bs, the team loses because they are always a low seed and must play a very good team in the first round.  Has little to do with style of play. 

You can compare his ncaa tournament record with men's basketball for example, and it is no question: soccer is better because of the number of times they have got to the NCAA tournament.  

I do think and have posted before that Hedlund maybe in trouble because in the past he thrived on kind of the second level metroplex high school recruit (those not recruited by the major P5 programs.   Now he is going out of state, something that seldom happened before and relying more and more on transfers. 

Soccer maybe currently down compared to the past, but there are a lot bigger issues to address in NT athletics. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Cooley said:

I just want someone from the administration to clearly articulate the short and longe range expectation(s)/vision for all revenue generating sports/coaches. Though I have become increasingly disappointed with Jalie’s performance, I think it would be difficult to fire her, and others, when we have absolutely no defined standards of success and frequently reward mediocrity.

Unless Jalie's team has a miraculous turnaround, I think she has to go.  This team thus far this year, is truly bad. 

As I have mentioned on here before, she is on pace to equal and/or exceed  the performance of a recently inducted Hall of Fame Coach. We have a plethora of other examples of average to bad players and coaches in our Hall of Fame. This ritual continues annual without modification. 

Slinker should have never came close to the HOF, but that is no rationale not to demand a winning program. 

Sanction some committee to address this madness. The Hall selection process appears to involve favoritism and politics; devoid of true honor. 

There are definitely agendas that impede on a by merit only selection.  There are many that should never made the HOF and incredibly some that by today's standards should be quickly enshrined: Blakeley, Rust

How did we allow the “Hit 6” as a measuring stick of success? We play 12 games. Or, extend coaches who take us to a bowl,  when about 50 exist. Why do we allow media to dictate to us success; based on misleading stats? 

Not aware of anyone using "hit six" has a measuring stick.  It was a one year McCarney goal if I remember correctly.   If that was the objective, should have never terminated LIttrell, he was exactly a .500 coach. 

I know I’m rambling but frustrated with yet another coach/ AD hire when we don’t know what we want.

A winning clean program is the goal. 

I’m not a targeted donor but I know I would hesitate with yet another capital campaign request without clear performance objective. Mostly to buy some one out.

Unfortunately, the facility arms race shows no signs of abating.   The objective is generally keep up with the competition.  

Maybe I’m just the only one in the dark about “the plan”. 

A plan is quickly obsolete and must constantly be reevaluated. 

Just my thoughts on subjects, certainly just a view from a long-suffering fan. 

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I have read the anti-Hedlund threads every year about long ball, etc.

I still believe it is bs, the team loses because they are always a low seed and must play a very good team in the first round.  Has little to do with style of play. 

You can compare his ncaa tournament record with men's basketball for example, and it is no question: soccer is better because of the number of times they have got to the NCAA tournament.  

I do think and have posted before that Hedlund maybe in trouble because in the past he thrived on kind of the second level metroplex high school recruit (those not recruited by the major P5 programs.   Now he is going out of state, something that seldom happened before and relying more and more on transfers. 

Soccer maybe currently down compared to the past, but there are a lot bigger issues to address in NT athletics. 

Nah, it isn't about seeding. Only half the times we have been there did we have teams that were actually highly seeded. 

2004 - Texas - highly ranked. We were never a threat

2005 SMU - not highly seeded. Should have been a winnable game. Beat us 3-0. We were never a threat. They lost the next round 4-2 to aTm. A team that was ranked. 

2012 Texas Tech - not highly seeded all. Should have been the most winnable of all the tournament games we have played in. In fact it was their first tournament to be in.  lost 2-0. Never a threat in that game.  Lost the next game to Florida State in OT to a team that was ranked.

2015 Texas Tech - ok ranked I guess. Better than 2012. Was tied for 4th in the Big 12. Beat us by 1. We didn’t even get one shot off that game.  They went on to lose the next round to an actual high seed team.

It didn't matter the seed. The results were always the same.  We were never a threat and it is because of the way we play.  

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Nah, it isn't about seeding. Only half the times we have been there did we have teams that were actually highly seeded. 

2004 - Texas - highly ranked. We were never a threat

2005 SMU - not highly seeded. Should have been a winnable game. Beat us 3-0. We were never a threat. They lost the next round 4-2 to aTm. A team that was ranked. 

2012 Texas Tech - not highly seeded all. Should have been the most winnable of all the tournament games we have played in. In fact it was their first tournament to be in.  lost 2-0. Never a threat in that game.  Lost the next game to Florida State in OT to a team that was ranked.

2015 Texas Tech - ok ranked I guess. Better than 2012. Was tied for 4th in the Big 12. Beat us by 1. We didn’t even get one shot off that game.  They went on to lose the next round to an actual high seed team.

It didn't matter the seed. The results were always the same.  We were never a threat and it is because of the way we play.  

419,753 Orange Slice Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from  Dreamstime