EM contract Specifics

MeanGreen_MBA

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Probably need to wait for Vito and his FOIA request.

This. At this point it’s probably not even signed yet. Pretty sure it has to go through the pres and BOR. They probably signed some kind of letter with parameters for the contract. Not sure how long they get to release that, assuming the media has already filed appropriate requests to get it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Heard 1.25 million base for like 4 years? This isn’t confirmed but what I’ve heard 

At 1.25 it will most likely have a lot of incentive/bonus options to increase it up close to $2 mil.

For CUSA that's a good salary, maybe not so much in the AAC.

36 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

At 1.25 it will most likely have a lot of incentive/bonus options to increase it up close to $2 mil.

For CUSA that's a good salary, maybe not so much in the AAC.

I don't have the exact figures, but I'm pretty sure it would be in the bottom 3 of the AAC. I agree, he must have some very attainable bonuses because that's a low base for any AAC coach to agree to. 

40 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don't have the exact figures, but I'm pretty sure it would be in the bottom 3 of the AAC. I agree, he must have some very attainable bonuses because that's a low base for any AAC coach to agree to. 

Also if they liked him as much or more than someone else who might have commanded 2 million, they could have seen this as a way to have more money for assistants. If that's the case, not a bad strategy.

If HC salary is in the bottom 3 (of current AAC), let's see what total coaches salary looks like compared to the field.

• Upvote 1

Just a guess on my part but I sense no one really knows what the final contract terms are at this point including the parties involved. They have a rough estimate, but I am betting that UNT learned their lesson on how Littrell responded after we threw a ton of money his way after KSU went after him.  I expect similar money as Littrell got, more for assistants and a lot more incentive based compensation tied to clear and reasonable objectives.

There are a lot on here that have much more insight on coaches salaries, contracts, etc., so I'm throwing this question out the the collective Mean Green Nation.

After a change in the HC position of an FBS university, how often is the incoming/replacement coach paid less than the outgoing coach?

Just thinking out loud, I would have thought if a school wanted to go in a different direction, it would be willing to pay at least the same or more, not less, but I have no real basis for that feeling.  I'm not trying to diminish the value of Coach Morris.  The more I've learned about him, the more I like and I'm looking forward to what he can bring to the football program.  Just wondering if we went down in our HC compensation, does that send an unintentional message about the value we place on the HC?  I mean, if the powers that be feel that the new coach (any new coach at any school) is better than the old coach, shouldn't they be willing to pay more?  We're trading up, not down, right?

1 hour ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Also if they liked him as much or more than someone else who might have commanded 2 million, they could have seen this as a way to have more money for assistants. If that's the case, not a bad strategy.

If HC salary is in the bottom 3 (of current AAC), let's see what total coaches salary looks like compared to the field.

It was said yesterday on a since-deleted thread that he got a much larger assistant pool than SL as a result of the lower salary. I'm very skeptical of this hire but that strategy, it true, makes me feel better. It's not just about HC, the assistants have to be elite too.

• Upvote 3

I generally like the thought process behind the Morris hire. but I don't get the implication by some of the posters that 1.25 million (provided that is the actual number) is not enough just because some other AAC members pay their coaches more. Have we not learnt anything from overpaying the previous coach for all of his seven years? SL was a decent coach, but never good enough to deserve being paid consistently in the top 2 of the conference. I actually wonder if he would still be here if he had earned 500k less and instead have that money added to the assistant pool / have it funneled by big money donors to NIL. I can sure imagine he would have won more games that way. Blindly overpaying for a coach and having bad buyout clauses is how you get to an ATM/Jimbo situation adapted to your own level. An AD has to have a plan a AND a plan b.

Morris may be the right hire, but there is no reason to pay more than his market value. He hasn't been an HC for a single game at the FBS level yet, the market value is not 2 million. If he performs better, you can always prolong him (unless he gets hired away real quick but in that case he left NT better than he found it and NT gets to pick on a giant pool next time). Until then you can funnel that money into assistants and make sure the incentives are right (if he gets 200k for getting to 9 wins and another 200k for winning the conference, then that will simply be deserved).

If I was the AD I might also backload the contract.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

If 1.2 million is correct as the base, then you have to add all the automatic extras.  Seth got paid to do the radio show and had a generous car allowance as well.  That alone was tens of thousands before adding the myriad of bonuses, a few of which were basically automatic, like completing the season.  

But in general, I think an incentive-laden contract is the way to go.  

• Upvote 1