Morris Addresses the Team

MGNation92

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I have to disagree with this. Are they where they won’t to be no. But this department could be the most improved on campus. The post game highlight videos are second to none

I had a complaint earlier in the year regarding the post game highlights on YT and it was resolved almost immediately. They got some good people running these things.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I have to disagree with this. Are they where they won’t to be no. But this department could be the most improved on campus. The post game highlight videos are second to none

The highlight videos leave a bit to be desired to me. I understand we aren't always playing amazing football, but some of these highlights are under a minute total. Obviously not a lot of highlights, but I can't imagine there wasn't any additional positive things that could have been thrown in there. We also scored 52 points against FIU and that highlight video was only 1:57 (less because of the long intro). Again, there is obviously additional footage that could have been used.

I do enjoy the radio broadcast being layered on top of the video. This probably takes a lot of time, but I do appreciate it and this does make them stand out. I also enjoy the non-traditional camera angles (to an extent anyway). This is another unique thing that I appreciate that they do. I do wish they would have more overhead shots on some of the plays though.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I mean…he said the exact same things as Seth.  And the same things that coaches around the country say.  He’s articulate enough.  He’s read from his coach speech manuscripts and done the homework.  

It’s not these speeches that matter. It’s gameday.  And signing day.

Going back a few years, but one of the things about Dickey was that in big games in conference he always had a few wrinkles.  We ran the same stuff mostly, but he did know that big games require that little bit extra.  He also had big game players, ready to raise their level.  The program has come along way since Dickey, but we haven’t been able to get over the big game hump.  Morris checks all the boxes.  Does he have the little bit extra that we’ve been missing to win those big games?   Can he get those big game type guys in here?  Time will tell.

I'm hyped but it was coach speech.. idk what else we expected.. maybe he's bring Louis with him. But he seems to get the recruiting part more than Seth to me already since he's on the trail on day 1

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

I'm hyped but it was coach speech.. idk what else we expected.. maybe he's bring Louis with him. But he seems to get the recruiting part more than Seth to me already since he's on the trail on day 1

I think people read too much into this crap.  That’s all I’m saying.  Morris appears to be a good enough speaker.  Great.  I don’t really care anymore.  Short of him getting up there and looking totally freaking lost (ala Benford), I’m not going to get too worked up.  Lots of great coaches are awkward in these settings.  Especially in front of the press.

I’m gonna judge him after I see his team on the field.  And I’m really gonna try hard to not judge until late next season.  Once we’ve got a bigger sample size of how well the team is coached.  For now, he’s fine.  Carry on, and bring on the down votes.

• Upvote 10
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I think people read too much into this crap.  That’s all I’m saying.  Morris appears to be a good enough speaker.  Great.  I don’t really care anymore.  Short of him getting up there and looking totally freaking lost (ala Benford), I’m not going to get too worked up.  Lots of great coaches are awkward in these settings.  Especially in front of the press.

I’m gonna judge him after I see his team on the field.  And I’m really gonna try hard to not judge until late next season.  Once we’ve got a bigger sample size of how well the team is coached.  For now, he’s fine.  Carry on, and bring on the down votes.

That's what I was saying,  I'm more hyped he's taking initiative and on the trail... solo.  The staff isn't his and I assume aren't recruiting as they would if promised a job

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, KeithLee said:

It was well received from what I have heard. It was definitely a great start. Most of them are trying to keep out the distractions and go get this W. We will probably get a better sense after Saturday. 

Thanks for chiming in, Keith. I would love to see a galvanized squad put in a great game!  I hope there’s a good turnout to support the squad on Saturday. The team deserves it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

To try and get your place on the roster. If I were dying to transfer and make playing time somewhere I'd get out as quick as I could before someone beat me to it. 

Uhhhh… you qualified for a bowl game and get to play on national TV. That is the highest level over 99% of college football players will ever achieve.  
You have just 4-5 seasons of eligibility before you get to move on and get a normal job. Some players never qualify for a bowl game. 
You put in the work all season and you don’t see it through to the end? Finish what you started and don’t be selfish. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He also didn't threaten the guys with "dogs" that are coming with him.

He isn't taking over a 1 win 2022 season team either.   UNT has been to 2 straight bowl games.  They know how to compete but just not to win more than they lose.   As of the last game of the regular season the Colorado's roster was worse than our roster.

19 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

He believes North Texas can be the premier football program in the state?!?  That was the one line that caught my attention. Bring it!

I hope he really believes that and has a realistic time line in his head to do it.  It one thing to win here and get on par local coverage with TCU & SMU it whole different ball of wax to start taking recruits from Texas and TAMU.  It definitely can be done like TCU has.  The fastest time frame to do that is would be after the 3 season.  With a lot of success the first 3 seasons, you can start fishing in upper P5 recruit pool competitively. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Uhhhh… you qualified for a bowl game and get to play on national TV. That is the highest level over 99% of college football players will ever achieve.  
You have just 4-5 seasons of eligibility before you get to move on and get a normal job. Some players never qualify for a bowl game. 
You put in the work all season and you don’t see it through to the end? Finish what you started and don’t be selfish. 

You realize that almost 2/3 of eligible d1 teams play in a bowl game?

Not a big accomplishment at all, but is always listed as one for schools and coaches.

It is all about what bowl games.  Playing in the Frisco bowl is about as low as it gets.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

56 minutes ago, KeithLee said:

It was well received from what I have heard. It was definitely a great start. Most of them are trying to keep out the distractions and go get this W. We will probably get a better sense after Saturday. 

I feel like your boy is going to cook in Morris’ offense

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenZen said:

I don't think you've put 2+2 together with the bowl numbers.  There are a LOT of teams playing bowls every year.

I also wish we could compare viewership numbers between our 9:15 ET matchup and, say, an ESPN broadcast between two low-level SEC teams.   Which one of us would be surprised?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I like the way you see it because it makes sense, but it’s a different energy than Littrell had. Just my opinion 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KeithLee said:

I am glad to hear that because the body language of some of them in the video showed some resentment and skepticism. Of course this is natural since their coach was just replaced by this new guy. Lots to criticize about Seth but I think at least outwardly he never lost the team.  If so, this is going to mean Morris will have to work extra hard to win their trust. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I like the way you see it because it makes sense, but it’s a different energy than Littrell had. Just my opinion 

He seems to energize off of his "they said I couldn't do it" mentality - much like people are saying UNT can't do it. Hopefully this is a great match.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4