Morris Addresses the Team

MGNation92

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

I am guessing the portal will tell. 

Form all indications several were going to hit the portal before the move with Seth was made. Entering the portal might be for other reasons. We probably have a handful that are fielding calls from larger P5s

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Form all indications several were going to hit the portal before the move with Seth was made. Entering the portal might be for other reasons. We probably have a handful that are fielding calls from larger P5s

Yes and I would think that is to be expected these days.  But if there is a flood to the portal it might be telling. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, KingDL1 said:

Yes and I would think that is to be expected these days.  But if there is a flood to the portal it might be telling. 

For some of the top-tier players on the team it's the reality of G5. They know the team will still welcome them back if they change their mind. If your a backup/squad member it's a risk. Once you enter the school can cut ties and pull the financial support. Too many players are making the decision based on emotions and are finding themselves in a situation that is no better, or sadly, no options. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

A lot of guys wanted to meet with him to talk before making an ultimate decision. I feel like he will win over most

I like that.  I don't really know who was considering, but I really would like to see Shorter, Blair and other OL, Gumms, Roberts, and all our RB's stay.

• Upvote 5

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

They might be trying to balance the excitement of a new coach against taking all the attention off the players and the team before their bowl game

He'll need to win over students before next season with the lack of name recognition. He needs to speak to all of the orientation groups at Apogee! (If they still go to Apogee?)

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

He'll need to win over students before next season with the lack of name recognition. He needs to speak to all of the orientation groups at Apogee! (If they still go to Apogee?)

this would have been said for any coach we hired, with the exception of MAYBE Fuente... but even then, he's not a name most recognize, unless you watch a lot of college football

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

this would have been said for any coach we hired, with the exception of MAYBE Fuente... but even then, he's not a name most recognize, unless you watch a lot of college football

True. I also think if students were told who Riley was, they would say, "Oh cool!" But ANY coach we would hire needs to get in with the students and restart a fire in them.

The Maniacs are talking to people at orientation. Needs to be some kind of spirited leadership for the football games too.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

I feel like if there was going to be a flood to the portal it would have already happened. Especially, if some guys were apparently planning to leave anyways. Not sure why anyone wanting to leave would stick around for a meaningless bowl games while precious roster spots are being taken elsewhere? 

Not saying we won't lose some, but I'm not too worried about a mass exodus. 

• Upvote 2