Update from Footballcoop.com (Monday Morning)

El Paso Eagle

5 hours ago, mustangfan said:

For sure.  I know it has been a tough couple of weeks for you guys for sure.  We had Coach Lashlee all set up and contracted in a very short period of time so it was a little smoother sailing for us.  Looks like you guys are still trying to identify someone who is interested.  One good thing is I like seeing that you are interested in Garrett Riley.  He was just an assistant for us but seemed to be a nice guy.  Not sure he would be interested in the UNT job but it doesn't hurt to try.

Why didn't you guys try to keep him at HC? Seems strange. Then again, maybe he wasn't interested. He seems to be doing pretty good now. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, mustangfan said:

For sure.  I know it has been a tough couple of weeks for you guys for sure.  We had Coach Lashlee all set up and contracted in a very short period of time so it was a little smoother sailing for us.  Looks like you guys are still trying to identify someone who is interested.  One good thing is I like seeing that you are interested in Garrett Riley.  He was just an assistant for us but seemed to be a nice guy.  Not sure he would be interested in the UNT job but it doesn't hurt to try.

The typical smugness I expect to read  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, mustangfan said:

Lame 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, mustangfan said:

Come on, man. If you’re going to trash talk, you can do better than this. 

For example, you could talk about how a program that bragged about having “more money than God” all summer finished fourth in their conference. 

Or, perhaps, you could even point out how a coach left the same school with all those resources to join the cross town rival and took his new squad to the playoff in year one. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Come on, man. If you’re going to trash talk, you can do better than this. 

For example, you could talk about how a program that bragged about having “more money than God” all summer finished fourth in their conference. 

Or, perhaps, you could even point out how a coach left the same school with all those resources to join the cross town rival and took his new squad to the playoff in year one. 

Yep.  reason number 1 to hate those fvcking douchebags.  

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

9 hours ago, DentonTD said:

Well, of this lot, Garrett Riley is #1, but I do not get why Graham Harrell is not on the list

This was a list put out by a writer that also stated he heard Perry was the leading candidate. Maybe he was but maybe he wasn’t, but that has now proven to be incorrect. I take each published list with a grain of salt. Never heard of Littrell when he was hired, and I kind of expect a similar reaction this time. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

can you give us a hint on the one guy,  like maybe what the first letter of his last name.  Or we can play wheel of fortune since blackjack is kicking my ass.

Feels like it's been unnecessarily brutal lately, right?

1 minute ago, laxtonto said:

Can't say I'm surprised, although I'm not disappointed. Keeler was already 63 and while I'd love to have a coach with his record, I'd rather a coach with roughly his record, but who could potentially be here for 15-20 years if we can keep him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, laxtonto said:

Perry was a “favor” interview, just like Marion at Texas was at Tulsa…

Everything I have heard has been centered on one guy on the list, and so at this point I am sticking with my prediction of Fuentes.

I can definitely live with that. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Really sorry to hear this.  His age was the one drawback.  Then again, he may coach another ten years.  

How reliable of a source in Mike Craven.  (educated at utsa)

I questioned Craven a lot, especially on his takes regarding specific coaching rumors and his views on the firing of Littrell because he is a UTSA alum, but he is pretty on the ball about stuff like this. 

• Upvote 1

However, Knight could not be offered the job until a state-mandated 10-day posting period had expired. According to Texas state law, open positions at state schools and universities must be posted for a minimum of 10 days before a hire can be made.

https://www.espn.com/ncb/news/2001/0307/1137811.html

The article above is over 20 years old but I wasn't able to find anything that says the Texas law has changed since. So it appears the required 10-day posting period is what is holding everything up. Hopefully we already have a handshake deal in place with Fuente and we're just running the clock out by "interviewing" additional candidates. 

• Eye Roll 1