What will you think when the hire is made?

El Paso Eagle

What will you think when the hire is made?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Your first thoughts will be?

• Wow, how did we get this guy?
    • This could be really good!
    • This looks like a safe choice?
    • This might be risky?
    • WTF!!!!

Most fans are hopeful when a new coach has been hired, I think the admin is spending more time and energy looking for better fits with each hire. We have more money, better facilities and better ways to get the word out than ever. 

From the outside looking in we are that mythical sleeping giant, I think we look like a golden opportunity for many coaches. I can't wait to see what a just in coach can do. 

• Lovely Take 3

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

Most fans are hopeful when a new coach has been hired, I think the admin is spending more time and energy looking for better fits with each hire. We have more money, better facilities and better ways to get the word out than ever. 

From the outside looking in we are that mythical sleeping giant, I think we look like a golden opportunity for many coaches. I can't wait to see what a just in coach can do. 

Great points. The reality is we have to find someone who can keep us competitive with SMU and UTSA.

• Upvote 5

I have no idea what it will be, but I'm hoping it's perceived as a safe hire. I think most people would after that the program is not in a bad place or I'm need if a radical change. 

I probably think we are just a couple of tweaks from where we want to be.  Could things be improved in general? Of course but unless you are Georgia, you are going to be saying that.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

This is why I don’t mind the fact that it’s taking longer than some like. Neal seems like a calculated person. He won’t rush a hire. He sees the long term vision and will make sure we have the best possible guy not just to win some recruiting today, but for the future. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Last night a thread said Chris Thomsen was going to be named our new HC… according to a trusted insider. The thread was deleted by morning. 

Hmm. The same Chris Thomsen that was head coach at ACU when Mosley was the AD? At one time I thought he would make a good candidate for NT, but we hired Dodge instead. Since then I don't think he has ever coached in anything but a coordinator position.

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Hmm. The same Chris Thomsen that was head coach at ACU when Mosley was the AD? At one time I thought he would make a good candidate for NT, but we hired Dodge instead. Since then I don't think he has ever coached in anything but a coordinator position.

I think he would fall under the WTF!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I will try to remember that no matter how he sounds at his introductory press conference it doesn’t mean anything. It won’t mean much if players transfer. 

I doubt we go in this direction but if we did hire a coach in the Lance Leipold vein who is known more for tough nose football it might take longer to instill their style. Took him four years to get Buffalo clicking. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, C Rod said:

Last night a thread said Chris Thomsen was going to be named our new HC… according to a trusted insider. The thread was deleted by morning. 

I thought the board was going to Riot.  Two pages of negative posts. 

It made me think, could a candidate we haven't mentioned be a realistic possibility?   Was Littrell floated as a candidate before being hired here?    It will be difficult to get total consensus of fans on any hire.  

• Upvote 1

Who ever is hired.

10% of the board will state it is a horrible choice

20% will state NT could have done much better

30% will state NT make the safe choice

30% will state NT make too risky a choice

10% will applaud the selection

If the coach fails; 90% will state I told you he couldn't do the job

If the coach is wildly successful;  90% will tell you he was their choice

Edited by GrandGreen

We are all upset, nervous and other feelings about this hire… with that being said, with how SL was walking on egg shells since his 1-6 start last year… the list rumored to be created… these are likely discussions that NS and WB/JM have had among themselves… no idea if JM was involved but I would like to think he was with his input being valued by NS/WB… yes some names have likely been added/removed but the discussions on what they are looking for has already happened. 

With that being said, now that the semester is over, and team going down to Frisco this should allow for JM and staff to work without interference. A few things are likely, they know who they are hiring and the staff is being out together now but kept under wraps for the public/players to focus on bowl, they are still looking, or 3… they are completely head in rhe sand