Another FBS Conference?

El Paso Eagle

FBS is getting too watered down.  This is the exact reason P5's want to break away from this mess....

"The schools that have signed on to join the league are WAC football members Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Utah Tech, Southern Utah and Tarleton State and Atlantic Sun football members Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas and North Alabama.  UT Rio Grande Valley, which recently announced it is starting a program, is also expected to join in 2025, in that program's first season, as the league's 10th member."

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, NT80 said:

FBS is getting too watered down.  This is the exact reason P5's want to break away from this mess....

Places like UNT are why they created P5s in the first place. We're just continuing the gatekeeping because we beat those WAC/Atlantic Sun schools to the punch. There will probably be some sort of break that separates what we call the first division though, a la Premiership. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Coffee and TV said:

Places like UNT are why they created P5s in the first place. We're just continuing the gatekeeping because we beat those WAC/Atlantic Sun schools to the punch. There will probably be some sort of break that separates what we call the first division though, a la Premiership. 

It will be the next version-name of divisions.  First it was College and University divisions.  Then Big school and Small school.  Then Division I, II, III.  Then I-A, I-AA.  Then FBS and FCS.  Then P5 and G5.  Then.....

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

The ESPN article mentioned UT Rio Grande will be included but did not mention which sport they would participate in? I also thought that UT Pan American would be the more likely candidate because of their size, established baseball and BB program.  Are they UT Rio Grande planning to start a football team?

3 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

The ESPN article mentioned UT Rio Grande will be included but did not mention which sport they would participate in? I also thought that UT Pan American would be the more likely candidate because of their size, established baseball and BB program.  Are they UT Rio Grande planning to start a football team?

Yes, they announced they are starting up a football program in 2024 I believe

https://footballscoop.com/news/a-university-of-texas-school-is-launching-college-football-to-rally-the-valley

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Danish43 said:

UT Pan-American is UT Rio Grande now. They combined 3 places and folded it into one school with different campuses I think. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

UT Pan-American is UT Rio Grande now. They combined 3 places and folded it into one school with different campuses I think. 

It's larger than I thought.

RIO GRANDE VALLEY, TEXAS – For the third straight year, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley has recorded a first-day enrollment of more than 32,000 students. 

Among the 32,174 Vaqueros starting the new school year were 5,827 incoming freshmen, the most in school history.  

And if they have a fee then it was well supported 
UTRGV is here, moving forward in the launch of the program by securing facilities, committing to an all-new on-campus training center, because its students voted at more than 61% approval for adding football, among the other programs.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Danish43 said:

It became UTRGV a few years ago following a merger with what I know of Texas South Most. They plan on starting a football program as a result of the merger. UT Pan Am was kicked out of the Sun Belt back in the 90s.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of schools are believing that in 2025 or 2026 there is going to be a major regrouping in FBS football and are trying to get these before it does. For the WAC, at least what I have seen, they believe that they still have a valid FBS charter and based on NCAA bylaws they can retain it and make this move.

What I would like to see is the AAC and MWC form an alliance and put space between themselves and the other G5 schools.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad to see more schools move up to FBS, especially the future UT Nacogdoches since I went there my first semester of college before my dad decided "I will pay for your college" was more of an aspirational statement than a binding verbal contract.

This does raise the urgency for UNT to become strong enough to be invited aboard the P5 ark. A biblical extinction event might be coming.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just wondering what you are calling it this?

SFA voted on Nov. 29 to join the UT system, which was a dumbass move. They could've joined our system and become University of North Texas East Texas.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11/29/stephen-f-austin-state-university-system-vote/

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, rcade said:

SFA voted on Nov. 29 to join the UT system, which was a dumbass move. They could've joined our system and become University of North Texas East Texas.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/11/29/stephen-f-austin-state-university-system-vote/

Ues, but as a condition of the move they will not change their name or their school colors.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

My guess is that they will have the color “orange” added to their school colors.  Sad.

Regents Chair Karen Gantt said the university and all systems agreed to keep the school's name, mascot and colors intact. She said all applying systems, including UT, agreed. In an interview with KLTV/KTRE, UT System Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife said the SFA brand will be preserved.