Austin Aune entering the NFL Draft

Coach Andy Mac

Wow!! I would bet heavy odds against Aune being drafted as pro teams are leary about drafting older rookies. And at 
30 next year, Aune will be the OLDEST ever rookie QB in NFL history, just as he was the oldest QB in FBS college history.
I do believe SOME team will give Aune a shot as an undrafted free agent however. 
Here is pulling for Graham Harrell to be the next UNT HC
Rob Jones
UNT class of 82

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Aune had a much better year statistically than I expected.    His poise and control of the offense overall was a huge step above last season.   His YPA was terrific.

At times he was very accurate.   Then at times, he would miss a wide open receiver.   Maddening.   In the end, it was the 13 interceptions (and 5 awful pick sixes) that really put a big blemish on the season IMO.

A 56% completion rate is not going to get you into the NFL, especially at 29 years old, unless you are Josh Allen who is 6'5" and mobile (Allen was also a 56% passer coming out of Wyoming).

With that said, I wish Austin all the luck in the world.   He put up with a lot of fan disapproval (self included) and remained steadfast.   Never say never.   I guess stranger things have happened.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

Does this mean he probably won't play in the bowl game or use it as a chance to raise his stock? Would be nice to  use this game to get experience for the future at QB. 

None of this coaching staff is concerned with getting experience for another QB.  They'll start Aune and play him for the whole game in an effort to win.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

All's fine as long as he doesn't hire an agent and is clear to return next season.

Many of you are probably rolling your eyes at this point. Please hear me out.

True, Aune is probably the least heralded record setting quarterback around. He had the dubious honor of taking the stage after one of our greatest performers ever, Mason Fine. He's been good, on rare times spectacular, with several forgetable performances mixed in. Yet every year we sign a new Wonderboy to replace him, and Aune has continually beaten them out for the job.

By announcing his intentions to turn pro, Aune's scholarship can be awarded to another player, so this benefits us. Aune may not have Elon Musk money but he's got to be very financially secure, and the price of a year's tuition is extremely cost efficient to pursue his favorite hobby while advancing his education. I say hobby because as a 30 year old, husband, father, post-graduate student, and successful business owner, Aune really needs football about as much as he needs a pet elephant.

During this upcoming season North Texas and Aune will continue to gain notoriety, as not only being the oldest current player in NCAA major football, but alo being the oldest player in FBS football history to ever score a touchdown (Colorado and Western Michigan have had older kickers). Then he can try to go pro after next season, even if he's played a reserve role. If he makes it onto an NFL roster, even just for a training camp, that just adds another chapter to his legacy.

These are the kind of stories that books, movies, and legends are based on, and it's one of ours creating that story.

Austin Aune - Football - University of North Texas Athletics

"The End Is Inevitable Maverick. Your kind Is Heading To Extinction." "Maybe So, Sir, But Not Today."

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 2