Jaelon Darden Waived

jtm0097

I hope he lands on his feet. He's primarily played on special teams.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/63865/jaelon-darden

Buccaneers waived WR Jaelon Darden.

The 2021 fourth-rounder has played just 146 offensive snaps over the past two years despite Tampa's wideout situation being extremely injury-riddled in both years. He also offers kick return ability and between that and his early draft reports we wouldn't be surprised if another team claimed him to kick the tires. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Come on Jerry! Who needs OBJ?

I know your comment was a joke, but what is the attraction to OBJ at this point?  Can he pass a physical, can he run, can he run and cut?  He blew out the same knee that he had previously injured without any contact.  All the teams clamoring over OBJ and he is probably damaged goods.  Why are the waiting to sign him if he is good to go?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I know your comment was a joke, but what is the attraction to OBJ at this point?  Can he pass a physical, can he run, can he run and cut?  He blew out the same knee that he had previously injured without any contact.  All the teams clamoring over OBJ and he is probably damaged goods.  Why are the waiting to sign him if he is good to go?

Yes, it was a joke. Who needs OBJ when you could have Jalen Darden?

32 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think the general consensus is that OBJ isn't a prime receiver anymore, but a good 3rd. When you put Gallup/Lamp/OBJ on the line the defense is going to struggle covering that since all 3 can be legit threats, even with a bad knee. Sounds like he's still in recovery, probably wouldn't play until 2023.

Problem is, he's 3rd string WR at best now, but probably asking for 1st/2nd money, at which point, why didn't we keep Coop? Cowboys Cornerback needs are far more important now than getting OBJ

• Upvote 3

Just now, Udomann said:

I think the general consensus is that OBJ isn't a prime receiver anymore, but a good 3rd. When you put Gallup/Lamp/OBJ on the line the defense is going to struggle covering that since all 3 can be legit threats, even with a bad knee. Sounds like he's still in recovery, probably wouldn't play until 2023.

Problem is, he's 3rd string WR at best now, but probably asking for 1st/2nd money, at which point, why didn't we keep Coop? Cowboys Cornerback needs are far more important now than getting OBJ

Yep, with Brown going down, OBJ, which I saw more as a luxury than a need, is really a luxury.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not that it really matters… and no idea why I’m typing this as I type it.. but the 2nd ACL injury was on a spot in the field that numerous players had worries about the turf I had heard/read.

Darden doesn't have elite top end speed and that really hurts him at his size. I was really curious how his skill set would translate to the NFL. I'm just guessing but maybe his elite athleticism in terms of burst and change of direction was negated by bigger more athletic corners, what a shame. The clips of him not knowing plays also didn't help.

Maybe he will get a shot on another team.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

There are several teams (Chiefs, Cowboys, etc) that could use a major improvement at punt returns that are currently salivating at the prospect of having Darden on their team. I have no doubts he will get picked up quickly

Hope you are right.

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Hope you are right.

Speaking just from a Chiefs perspective, they've had rookie Skyy Moore mainly returning punts where he has probably muffed more punts than he has actually returned. They've also had Hardman return 6 punts and newly acquired Toney return 3 punts, none of which average more than 10 yards per punt. Returns have been an epidemic and at this point, anything is an upgrade. I  know that there is a lot of buzz on Chiefs Twitter wanting the Chiefs to take a really hard look at Darden so there is definitely a market for him. I've also seen Cowboys fans really wanting him as well.  

Bucs Waive Jaelon Darden

The Buccaneers opened a spot on their 53-man roster on Tuesday by waiving second-year wide receiver Jaelon Darden…In addition, T Dylan Cook and CB Ryan Smith were released from the practice squad

Dec 06, 2022 at 04:30 PM

Smith_Scott_2

Scott Smith

Senior Writer/Editor

On Tuesday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers waived second-year wide receiver Jaelon Darden and released rookie tackle Dylan Cook and veteran cornerback Ryan Smith from the practice squad. There were no corresponding additions so the Buccaneers will head into Week 14 with one open spot on the active roster and two on the practice squad.

A fourth-round draft pick out of North Texas in 2021, Darden has been the team's primary punt returner for the majority of the past two seasons. He has averaged 9.4 yards on 50 punt returns, including a 10.6-yard average on 30 returns this season. Darden also recently took over kickoff return duties with the team choosing to let rookie running back Rachaad White focus on his growing role on offense. In two seasons, Darden has averaged 20.3 yards on 21 kickoff returns.

The Bucs' active roster still features six wide receivers, and 2022 free agency addition Russell Gage returned to action this past Monday after missing four games with a hamstring injury. Through the first 12 games, Darden had only logged 57 snaps on offense, resulting in two catches for 26 yards.

—-

Article from the Bucs website. Curious why they’d cut him with no immediate signing to fill the spot. Wonder if he ran afoul of Bowles somehow. I do think he’ll get another shot somewhere. 

• Upvote 1